Heavenly Flagyl to Hellish Thrush - any tips for the itchiness are appreciated

huneypie

Wannabe
Things had started to get bad bloatwise and they were getting to the point where I was so crampy I couldn't stand straight. This was happening in the morning before I'd messed up foodwise (ie succumbed to carbs).

Anyway, I was due to go on holiday and couldn't imagine how bad the cramps would be at altitude (ie in a plane) so decided to try Flagyl (AKA Metronidazole 400mg) - I had a course in hand from the doc that I was trying hard not to take.

I took a tablet at bed time and the next morning I didn't wake up with the normal bloat - wow, it was like some sort of miracle and the 20 minute poop session was more like a 10 minute one (has been for the last 2.5 weeks).

I've never had thrush before but started on the probiotics as a means of prevention. By about 5 days later things were starting to get itchy down there. I was in Turkey and things weren't too bad so I didn't do anything.

By the time I returned home, it was 3 days later and I was itchy beyond belief and I'd scratched myself RAW - yep, weeping an' all. I went straight to the doc and got some Canesten cream and a pessary (I know it's available OTC, but you're meant to see your doc the first time).

Anyways, the cream and pessary only helped slightly. It's 10 days since I used them and I'm still ITCHY!! I've been back to the doc who checked me out and said I don't have thrush. I'm doing the following and if anyone has any additional suggestions I'll give them a go:

- Mild shower gel for eczema so it's gentle 'down there'
- Cotton underwear (always have)
- Probiotic morning and evening
- Antihistamine tablets
- Ibuprofen or Naproxen tablets
- Betamethasone & Clotrimaole cream
- Sudacrem
- Hydrocortisone cream

The moral of the storey is get Canesten when you get Flagyl and DO NOT delay!! :)

oooh, I am so sorry to hear you have this problem - hope it gets better ASAP. I regret I have no advice - big hugs!!

Thanks, I planned on posting when I was better, but that's taking a while. The idea for any tips was an after thought. I think early treatment 'may' have helped, but I'm really not certain. Needless to say I'm somewhat 'scared' of Flagyl now ;-)

Ugh! I used to get them all the time when I was a teenager and in my early twenties just out of the blue. Antibiotics and latex condoms would ALWAYS give it to me. Now I never get them, not even when I have the occasional illness and do a round of antibiotics. When I would do a treatment the only one that worked for me was the 7 day cream that you have to insert with the plunger/syringe. The creams that were to work overnight or 3 days didn't work nor did the oral pill. Not saying you should do this, but I would get the 7 day cream OTC even though the doc said I didn't have it.

I did do the cream for whole week, until it ran out. I think you're right and I'll have to get in touch with the doc to get get more canesten.

I did do the cream for whole week, until it ran out. I think you're right and I'll have to get in touch with the doc to get get more canesten.
Never heard of it.

So I looked it up. Stateside info on clotramazole:
Brand names
Return to top
  • Cruex® Spray Powder
  • Desenex® Cream
  • Femcare®
  • FungiCURE®
  • Fungoid® Solution
  • Gyne-Lotrimin® Cream
  • Gynix® Vaginal Tablets
  • Lotrimin® Cream
  • Mycelex® Solution
  • Mycelex® Troches
  • Pedesil® Ointment
  • Trivagizole® Cream

I have Rx fluconazole, aka Diflucan. There are several OTC vaginal products. And I also always have Nystatin, for oral thrush.

Any antibiotic...or even if you just say that word in front of me! So I keep the meds handy.

Might be an oddball question but is it possibly an allergic reaction to the cream? My husband is super allergic to something in Desenex - had to rush him to the hospital once when he got hives and then his face started swelling up after he put Desenex cream between his toes to deal with a case of athlete's feet he picked up at the gym.

You guys are making me itch just TALKING about it. I used to get PIDs all the time, and every freaking round of ABX => yeast infection. The doctor just started giving me the yeast meds WITH the ABX script. (After I got pregnant, I never got another PID - go figure.)

I'm no expert, but the times I've had that problem, the creams/1 day/3 day remedies never worked. The 7 day or prescription strength was the only thing to ever clear it up.

I went back to the doctor and was given a 5 day course of Trimethoprim antibiotics which is specifically for stubborn thrush. I also got a 3 day course of Econozole pessaries which are what they prescribe when Canesten doesn't work.

I tried 4 different pharmacies for the pessary and they're ordering that in for me so I'll start that tomorrow night. I hope I can finally get this sorted!! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back