Use of Flagyl

I've not needed Flagyl yet either, I'm 4 years out. Thanks to KathyF, however, I did find Florastor, a probiotic. I took a powerful antibiotic that upset my intestinal flora and was suffering. I didn't post on the open forum, but PMd her privately, I think. Thanks, KathyF. I still am SO THANKFUL for your help.

Your mileage may vary. I wish I could take Flagyl. I was prescribed it once and it did not agree with me at all. Made everything taste metallic as if my mouth was full of pennies and it greatly upset my stomach. I finished the course because it was medically necessary to do so, but wouldn't voluntarily go for it ever!

I've not needed Flagyl yet either, I'm 4 years out. Thanks to KathyF, however, I did find Florastor, a probiotic. I took a powerful antibiotic that upset my intestinal flora and was suffering. I didn't post on the open forum, but PMd her privately, I think. Thanks, KathyF. I still am SO THANKFUL for your help.
You're welcome! I am glad that the Florastor worked.

Storing another post I wrote about use of Flagyl here:
It's that time again.

I noticed recently that I've been having more frequent and stinkier gas from foods that normally don't bother me. I've been a bit lax about it, because it didn't bother me on our trip at the end of January, but since I got home, it has become an issue again. I've been pretty careful (hardly perfect) about eating things that bother me from time to time (milk and wheat, for the most part), but the dose:volume/stench ratio was getting out of hand. Annoyingly, for the last week, have been particularly peeved to find that I was getting cramps from gas at the end of my daily bike ride, which would then last most of the evening - no matter what I ate up until that point.

I have a deal with both my PCP and Rabkin (PCP requires me to get a written prescription from Rabkin that she administers) about using Flagyl - no more than one course/three months (obviously, open to being revisited if things become unmanageable). Last year, I was doing a course pretty much every three months. So I called the pharmacy yesterday, hoping it had been three months since my last course.

To my surprise, when I asked the pharmacist when the last time I did a course, I was told it had been in September. So, actually, it's been five months this time - perhaps things are getting better instead of worse?

CAVEATS for the newbies: Flagyl can make your farts not smell, and your poops smell less foul, pretty much after the first dose or two. Because of this, some DSers have been known to "abuse" it - taking it in order to splurge on carbs. Besides the obvious risk of having less reason to avoid weight-affecting carbs, misusing the first line of defense against C. diff (and there are only a couple of back-up antibiotics) is NOT a good idea. Use of subtherapeutic dosage amounts or regimens is an EXCELLENT way to breed antibiotic resistant C. diff in your gut. And it can interact badly with alcohol and/or SSRIs - I am UBER cautious about drinking while taking it.

I didn't use Flagyl for the first several years - it was only about 4 years ago that I started having to do a course from time to time. I have heard from other longer-outs that they also have had more problems over time, but I was wondering how universal this is.

So for the vets (at least 3 years out) - I'd like to know if you use Flagyl (metronidazole) and if so, how you use it. How much do you take? How often? Are you using it according to a doctor's prescription, or buying FishZole on the internet or at a pet store?

My prescription is 500 mg x 3/day x 10 days. However, I will probably only take it twice a day, as I find that effective, and I keep a store of the other 1/3 of the prescription on hand for "emergencies" - which I've never had, though I feel more secure knowing I could take it for a plane flight or major meeting if I was worried about having a difficult time (wait - I took some on an international flight in 2010, because I didn't want to be worried about farting or stinky poop on a 15 hour flight). Also, most of the time, I work from home, so I don't have to be as "careful" as I used to be, and I'm much more casual about it at home (my husband doesn't seem to mind). But when I start offending myself, I know there is a problem brewing in my guts.
undecided.png

Hmmmm. So I've never heard of this flagyl. I'm going to ask my PCP about this. I could definitely use it for odor? And what is the normal length of time someone should take this? How long does one (dose). Meaning prescription last for keeping the odor away?

It is for a bacterial overgrowth amongst other things, I am sure. Not to be used just for odor and gas although, it will probably help with that. I would definitely ask your doctor about a course of this. You have been suffering for too long not to give it a try. It is an antibiotic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back