Hair loss and vitamins

It was really so thin that I started looking at wigs. When I started leaving it alone, it got better. I wash my hair less than once a week. Brush infrequently, use a comb mostly, as aaa said. I pull it back with a hair clip so I can leave it alone as much as possible. I don't dye it. I use a clear glosser to help with the frizzies (no promotion but I use John Frieda).

I think protein, vitamin A and iron are so crucial. Google iron-deficient hair and that's what mine looked like. if your gut can take it, and your blood tests show it is ok, take more iron.

All mines fell out twice. Mr. CLEAN OR Kojax clean. Bald. I started taking Andrew Leshmans hair/nail vitamins and it is growing back thicker. They are kind of expensive but worth it to me!

I am glad the leishman's vitamins worked for you. I looked at the label for that product, because I was interested to see if I could get fuller hair. Do you take more than 2 capsules to compensate for malabsorption? Maybe the doses of some vitamins that I take are too high and damage the hair?
I take these (at higher doses)
Vitamin A (as alpha and beta carotene) 1,000 IU
VitaminC 90 mg
Vitamin D3 (200 IU)
5 mg each of B1, B2, and niacin
20 mg folic acid
Branched chain amino acid complex (proteins)
vitaminB12 as methylcoalbumin

These I don't take:
Biotin 4,000 mcg
Panthotenic acid (calcium pantothanate) 20 mg
Silicon (silicon dioxide) from bamboo 10 mg
Methyl-sulfylmethane (20 mg)

The last 4 must be the ones that could make it work in a DS gut. They are pricy, but I think I'll try them.

Saw a dermo. (referred to by my endocrin.). We're lowering the vit. A somewhat as this can cause hair loss and my bloods show it's in the high range. Obviously, if the next bloods show it's too low or I have any issues, I'll increase it.

Also trying Women's Rogaine. It's funny, the loss isn't really noticeable except to me (but he did do a thorough check and said the top of my scalp is definitely thinning). He said there's no scalp disease and my scalp is totally healthy. He believes it's just shedding, which generally lasts only about 6 mos. but for some reason mine has been going on for 2 years+. I kept a baggie of hair from 1 morning and showed it to him (I'll do it again 1 morning a week for the next 8 weeks to see if it lessens).

Last edited:
I am glad the leishman's vitamins worked for you. I looked at the label for that product, because I was interested to see if I could get fuller hair. Do you take more than 2 capsules to compensate for malabsorption? Maybe the doses of some vitamins that I take are too high and damage the hair?
I take these (at higher doses)
Vitamin A (as alpha and beta carotene) 1,000 IU
VitaminC 90 mg
Vitamin D3 (200 IU)
5 mg each of B1, B2, and niacin
20 mg folic acid
Branched chain amino acid complex (proteins)
vitaminB12 as methylcoalbumin

These I don't take:
Biotin 4,000 mcg
Panthotenic acid (calcium pantothanate) 20 mg
Silicon (silicon dioxide) from bamboo 10 mg
Methyl-sulfylmethane (20 mg)

The last 4 must be the ones that could make it work in a DS gut. They are pricy, but I think I'll try them.
DSer's vitamin A should be retinal (can be spelled a couple of different ways)
or palmitate. Not carotene. How much D3 are you taking (you said it was at higher doses than you listed?)

Saw a dermo. (referred to by my endocrin.). We're lowering the vit. A somewhat as this can cause hair loss and my bloods show it's in the high range. Obviously, if the next bloods show it's too low or I have any issues, I'll increase it.

Also trying Women's Rogaine. It's funny, the loss isn't really noticeable except to me (but he did do a thorough check and said the top of my scalp is definitely thinning). He said there's no scalp disease and my scalp is totally healthy. He believes it's just shedding, which generally lasts only about 6 mos. but for some reason mine has been going on for 2 years+. I kept a baggie of hair from 1 morning and showed it to him (I'll do it again 1 morning a week for the next 8 weeks to see if it lessens).

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I hope the Rogaine works for you.

DSer's vitamin A should be retinal (can be spelled a couple of different ways)
or palmitate. Not carotene. How much D3 are you taking (you said it was at higher doses than you listed?)
I take 50,000 of D3 every other day and 5,000 every day (both Biotech) .I take 2 x 25,000 IU of vitamin A which is 40% retinyl and 60% carotene. I had to change to Soloray in August from TwinLabs, when it stopped making the dry A&D combo I had been taking since surgery. That was 40,000 IU of dry A in TwinLabs, which Liz said was "pushing it". Im taking less of retinyl vitamin A (12,000/d) since the change. My hair is better. I get my annual round of tests in Feb, so I'll see if this is acceptable.
I never miss a dose, so that's a plus for me.
Since the PTH changed last year, I increased D3 to 50,000 daily and now, after the stern warning of toxic levels of D3 by my internist and osteoporosis doc even though the PTH is still off, I lowered it by taking 50,000 every other day, and a total of 70,000 the rest of the days. Not as low as they would like, by far. Again, just started the lower dose in September and will check soon. Didn't know there was an upper limit of safety of vitamin D.
The DS dosing is so trial and error, what works for one doesn't work for another. I think we can be overdosed by being so cookbook. Now, I am most worried about calcium hardening my arteries more than strengthening my bones after the recent studies, but I am still taking it. Who's to say what is proven to be optimal?

I take 50,000 of D3 every other day and 5,000 every day (both Biotech) .I take 2 x 25,000 IU of vitamin A which is 40% retinyl and 60% carotene. I had to change to Soloray in August from TwinLabs, when it stopped making the dry A&D combo I had been taking since surgery. That was 40,000 IU of dry A in TwinLabs, which Liz said was "pushing it". Im taking less of retinyl vitamin A (12,000/d) since the change. My hair is better. I get my annual round of tests in Feb, so I'll see if this is acceptable.
I never miss a dose, so that's a plus for me.
Since the PTH changed last year, I increased D3 to 50,000 daily and now, after the stern warning of toxic levels of D3 by my internist and osteoporosis doc even though the PTH is still off, I lowered it by taking 50,000 every other day, and a total of 70,000 the rest of the days. Not as low as they would like, by far. Again, just started the lower dose in September and will check soon. Didn't know there was an upper limit of safety of vitamin D.
The DS dosing is so trial and error, what works for one doesn't work for another. I think we can be overdosed by being so cookbook. Now, I am most worried about calcium hardening my arteries more than strengthening my bones after the recent studies, but I am still taking it. Who's to say what is proven to be optimal?

Your Vit. D sounds good. It would be too much for me but it's what works for your numbers.

Interestingly, it was Liz who told me no carotene many years ago. :D I just dropped my Vit A, too. I was taking 50K/day. Now it's 50K one day and 25k the next. We're going to see if that's good re: hair and blood draw.

Hope the Rogaine works. I do know that thin hair runs in my daddy's female side. My great aunt resorted to wigs, hers was so thin. And while I hope I don't tend that direction, I know it's possible.

In Your Genes

Another way to diagnose what the problem is just by looking and listening, Rogers says. She asks what a patient’s mother, aunts, or grandmothers look like - if they have similar, or greater amounts, of hair loss. Using magnification on the scalp can show if a woman’s follicles vary in size - with some thick and others thin. These are two telltale signs of female pattern hair loss, also called androgenetic alopecia.

This is a hereditary condition that affects about 30 million American women, according to the America Academy of Dermatology, and is the most common kind of hair loss Rogers sees in her practice. She tells WebMD that it happens to about 50% of women. Although it mostly occurs in the late 50s or 60s, it can happen at any time, even during teenage years, Rogers says.

Typically, each time a normal hair follicle is shed, it is replaced by hair that is equal in size. But in women with female-pattern hair loss, the new hair is finer and thinner - a more miniaturized version of itself, Rogers says. The hair follicles are shrinking and eventually they quit growing altogether.

I do know the hair on my body is disappearing. No need to shave my legs any longer, etc. I've always had very fine hair on my legs/arms. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to affect my chin hair.

I've had crappy hair all my life so I know it's not a DS issue. My sister's hair is worse than mine and that leads me to believe it's genetic. I keep getting older and the hair gets thinner. This summer I started looking at wigs.

Over the years, I have tried every lotion, potion, spray, and pill available. Pretty much like weight loss products. The only thing that gets lighter is your wallet. Anyway, I was so depressed looking at the wigs I decided to try one more product I kept running across. Pura D'or Gold shampoo. There are tons of reviews on Amazon. I decided to add about 25% ketoconazole 2% shampoo. And I have been using it since July. Now it's the end of October and I no longer need to look at wigs! It works!

Don't get me wrong. My hair is still crappy and thin. But it is better than it was and there is some real improvement. I am not the only one who noticed. Other people saw the difference too. As soon as I saw it was working, I bought the conditioner. It's OK but I don't like it near as well as the shampoo. I am hoping it will continue to improve.

I had have had long-standing issues with my hair unrelated to surgery, and I have worn a hair piece alongside my natural hair for many years. If anyone wants advice or information, let me know!

Latest posts

Back