Grandma/Grandpa names

DianaCox

Bad Cop
If you are one, what do your grands call you?

If you aren't one, what would you LIKE to be called someday?

My ex-stepson's kid (my first "grand") named me Dinana, and I love it. I've got another stepgrand calling me that. She calls Charles "Paw" (or perhaps it's Pa, but with a southern twang?).

Doesn't matter. The kids decide. However, MiniSue's friend's dad, Jim*, was asked what he wanted his new (and first) grandson to call him.

He said, "Roy."

(Jim is a STRANGE guy. Narcoleptic neurosurgeon. Retired, of course.)

How does one acquire an ex-stepson?

it would have to be by marriage of course - since I am now too old to produce children - but I wouldn't mind being "Grandma" or whatever they decided to call me.

I'd be a touch reluctant to be called "Granny" but if it was said with love I guess I'd adjust.:p

I was involved for a long time in the raising of my first husband’s son; we stayed in touch after the divorce, especially since he is my kids’ older half brother. So I still consider him family. He lives in Colorado now, and doesn’t have primary custody of his son, so I haven’t seen them in a long time.

Doesn't matter. The kids decide. However, MiniSue's friend's dad, Jim*, was asked what he wanted his new (and first) grandson to call him.

He said, "Roy."

(Jim is a STRANGE guy. Narcoleptic neurosurgeon. Retired, of course.)

How does one acquire an ex-stepson?
I once read an article that says the very same thing: the kid decides. My brother called our grandparents Gungy and Gunky. It don't remember who was who. My husband's first wife was from Germany. She was Oma and her husband was Opa, the German names.

It might be the kid that finally decides but if the kids refer to you by your grandparent name from the very beginning, it’s likely you can decide.

I’m Nana Liz as the bio grandmother on Pam and Kim’s side is Nana. Dh is Papa.

Now, I know I picked up my dad’s names for his mom and dad. They were Mom and Pop. My mother was mother all her life.

I have step kids no kids with the same blood. They call me Whitney. Their children call me Grandma. My Step daughter is marrying a man with 3 children. They call me Grandma Whitney or Grandma. Which is fine by me. I treat them all the same with as much love as I can.

It is my opinion Children will call you what they are taught or told to call you.

Our sons children call us Grandma and Grandpa. Our daughters children call us Nana and Pap.Love them all but dont get to see them very much, Son lives in Wi. and Daughter lives in Fl. We are in Atlanta.

My own children have always called me "Hilary". I'd expect my future grandchildren to do the same. :)

ETA: I'd still come running if they called me "Mom", "Mama" or "Roy"!

My daughter started calling me Lynn when she was about 2 or 3. I thought it was a phase. It wasn’t. I don’t mind though. She calls me mom occasionally. It’s so sweet when she does.

My Toot a Roni calls me Granny! No one else better be called granny. His GOD Gma at one small point in time he called her granny. I STOPPED THAT IMMEDIATELY. IM GRANNY THATS IT. So now she's grandma. He ca n call her mommy for all i care just NOT GRANNY!!!!

My kids were lucky enough to have great grand parents alive on both sides of the family when they were little. So they called the great ones " Grandma and Grandpa", they call their grandparents "Grandpa Denny, Grandma Lynn, etc." was an easy way for them to keep them straight. Plus we were raised it was respectful to add "grandma, aunt, uncle" to their names, so I guess I passed that on. My kids also call us Mom and Dad, and I can't imagine being called by my name. For me nothing beats getting a call or text from my college age kids saying "Love you Dad". I'm a softie I guess :)

My kids were lucky enough to have great grand parents alive on both sides of the family when they were little. So they called the great ones " Grandma and Grandpa", they call their grandparents "Grandpa Denny, Grandma Lynn, etc." was an easy way for them to keep them straight. Plus we were raised it was respectful to add "grandma, aunt, uncle" to their names, so I guess I passed that on. My kids also call us Mom and Dad, and I can't imagine being called by my name. For me nothing beats getting a call or text from my college age kids saying "Love you Dad". I'm a softie I guess :)

I know I would be on trial for murder if my children call me by my name. I taught them its aunt, uncle, miss, mrs. And Mr. My grandson(Toot) calls my boyfriend Mr. JET Because his name is Jetter. We are not friends. Treat elders with respect is what i was taught. Its funny my kids call me "mommie"talking to each other. I told my son you are supposed to portray you are big and grown if your friends could see you telling your sister "im telling Mommie" But you are right chevtow it does something to me to hear them talk to each other calling me Mommie. Of course when talking to outsiders its my mom instead of mommie!

Latest posts

Back