From Russia with love.

kirmy

I'm on a plane coming home from work in the sky in turbulence. I extend my top lip like a giraffe to sip my coffee in between dips and troughs. You have to time it just right or you end up with tepid brown boob stains. I know. I have concentric circles of them.

I haven't been sleeping. My eyes look bruised and my cheeks sunken. I'm looking like my mother. This care worn face could belong to any of the Jackson kin. Despite railing against it her DNA has the upper hand. I have my fathers eyes though, the down turned smile and the obesity that we once shared. I'm flying towards him across continents and time zones willing him to continue for just a bit longer. His gray eyes reflecting back at me in the coffin like economy class toilet. Numb.

I have a brother. I grew up impressed by everything he did. He was funny, opinionated, well travelled and well read. He looked like Rasputin and emanated a charisma like radiation. I wanted to be him. So when I phoned him and he wept down the miles I broke too. I wanted to touch the thread entwining our lives like a sad and beautiful spiders web. "He's going, you'd better hurry". Ok ok I can do this.

Typically even in the face of my immanent suffering I always see the wry humour. Malaysia airlines sell a mighty cheap airfare these days on account of misplacing planes and annoying Separatists. That will do me. As we wept our collective grief across the thousands of miles he said the magic words of validation..."I love you"! I hiccuped my sobs. "I love you too"!

As I was about to hang up I caught his parting words. "Don't fly over Russia". I smiled my upside down smile and then entered the fray. Indeed. I hope at least I get a Lost style plot line minus polar bears.

I am a dented can of Campbell's soup in a discount bin or a wobbly Tesco trolley wheel. I feel like something utilitarian but broken enough to be annoying but not enough to throw out. And I don't want to feel. No. Not at all. There are plenty of feelings under the dumb buttoned down porridge crust coating my core. As the song goes...if you walk without rhythm you won't attract the worm. So here I am wildly staccato juggernaughhting towards the end of my paternity. Soon very soon the origin of my gray eyes will cease to live. I will be left with a wildly out of control matriarch a chronically ill sister and a charismatic addict and my only port in the storm will wink out of existence. The man I love will reach out to me from continents away powerless to stop my grief. I will have to comfort others. This I know.

I checked the manifest. We don't go near Ukraine so I'm alright and I can't see Bermuda on any of the flight paths. I may even get a randang curry out of this...but I don't feel like eating. This tiredness.....it is the deepest sadness I know. My body is exclaiming what I objectively can't. I hope sleep comes but I know it won't. Restless....

Tomorrow it begins.

Kirmy my dear, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's part of life, but that doesn't make it any easier. I will wish for you a safe flight that lands at an airport in the free world. I would wish you a new and improved family if I could. And I wish you solace in your time of grief.

Good lord, some of the stuff that you come up with! You really have missed your calling if you are not writing professionally. You had me sitting here actually visualizing a "Giraffe's upper Lip" sipping on the "dented can of Campbell's soup from the discount bin"...lol.

I'm so sorry for your sorrows, as inspirational as they may be and wish you some joy and simple pleasures that may arise along your trip, even if unexpected.

My dearest Kirmy - I am glad you decided to fly home, and hope with every fiber of my being that you get there safely and in time to say your goodbyes. I wish you solace and peace and closure and renewed and better relationships with your family - and the strength (which you already have) to get through these next days.

And some curry, if it will make you feel better.

Thankyou beautiful friends. I'm home holding my fur babies. I've packed and David is give me his wonderful love and care. I can do this. It matters that you wish me so well. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm thinking of you and sending you light and love. Losing my Daddy was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced. You won't be the same person afterwards, but there is another side. Hang on until you get there. Wishing y many many happy memories of this all-important man and the love and comfort of the people who knew him best! <3

Latest posts

Back