Fibromyalgia and WLS

Pattycake813

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 years ago.. It's been a 12 year struggle for me. (It took 6 years of doctors, pain meds and other failed therapies for them to get the diagnosis right).

I've seen some other posts about people who have fibromyalgia and was curious if anyone had seen significant improvements of symptoms after weight loss?

I was dx fibromyalgia 20 years ago when they really didn't have any effective treatments and many if not most docs thought it was all in one's head anyway. There were days I couldn't lift my chin off my chest. I lost a ton of weight by myself through crash diet and crazy exercise and was quite thin. Early on as I was losing weight, one day I woke without pain and the fibromyalgia was mysteriously gone and never returned, even when I gained the weight back. Although I did have joint pain when I regained and periods of crippling plantar fasciitis, it wasn't fibromyalgia. Those aches and pains disappeared with the DS. (I really think there is a carb-created inflammation component to all this.)

Oh, I developed fibromyalgia within a month of becoming a vegetarian -- a diet I abandoned when I lost the weight. The only thing I ever read that suggested some sort of a link was that some people develop arthritis-like symptoms from vegetables in the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) due to a sensitivity to solanine. I don't know if this had anything to do with anything but thought I'd pass it along.

I was actually concerned about flare up immediately after surgery. My body has not been kind to me at all or the last 3 years. It just been awful. Any major illnes, trauma, physical or emotional, has just torn my body all up... can you imagine a cure or even reduction of flare up and/or symptoms?!

I have fibromyalgia I haven't noticed any difference 3 years out. I'll be interested in hearing what others have experienced.

Latest posts

Back