DS and Alcohol

stanh

Do you malabsorb alcohol with a DS? Does alcohol affect you differently?

I think my response is fairly typical...I can be the first drunk at the table and the designated driver.

It hits me VERY fast, and the glow disappears just as quickly. I have been known to be ripped half way through ONE drink...everybody wonders why I'm such a candyass, and by the time they start to loosen up, I wonder why I'm wastimg MY time with a table full of drunks who can't hold their liquor.

But my husband thinks I'm fun to watch.

I know of several others who react this way.

I recommend staying away from alcohol for the first year post surgery. Your liver is working hard while you are in your weight loss phase, and shouldn't have to deal with the extra stress of processing alcohol.

When you are stabilized and do have a beverage or two, like Sue, most of us feel the effects pretty quickly, yet the effect dissipates just as quickly. I couldn't say what the medical readings are with blood alcohol, so I wouldn't want to test being the designated driver even if I felt stone cold sober. Drinking alcohol can also dehydrate, so take it easy and drink lots of water.

Oh...I forgot that you are that new.

Wait a year. Your liver doesn't need any more trouble.

Thank you for the quick responses and the advice. I stopped drinking so that when my surgery rolls around on March 3rd (fingers crossed), I will be alcohol free for a few days past 2 months. Might as well add another dozen months or so to that after the surgery!

I think its freaky drinking now. Granted I rarely drink now, that is because I do not enjoy the way it makes me feel. Yeah I waited over 15 months before I had a sip of alcohol. A few sips and I feel as drunk as a skunk, then within minutes it fades, so weird.

When you do finally try it make sure you are in a safe place with someone safe, Ive had many a DSer friend pass out at the table, ambulance called and all that mess. Just by over-drinking on the first try. Good luck on your surgery in March.

This is a good reminder. With everything else I completely forgot about the no drinking for 6 months to a year :/ It only sucks for me cos I dont drink socially and only go all out once a year...but it is a small sacrifice :)

It hits fast and hard, be safe. Depending on what I've eaten, I can keep tipsy for a while. Here's what I've learned. 1. Always eat first 2. I'd rather have my Tylenol PM at night than drink. 3 . I'll never be a good drunk because once I eat, I don't wanna drink. 4. Beer is always a bad idea.

Some like it, others don't. Wait till you've lost most of your weight. Your body has enough to deal with, with the weight loss.

I hate beer and dont like wine...bring out the shots and we will talk ;) But you are right. I would rather have my codeine for my hips than a few giggles being stupidly drunk!

I was a lightweight before surgery, and moreso now. One drink works fast, but I sober up quickly. I don't like being more than slightly buzzed - makes me feel ill. I don't think I've ever been riproaring drunk, because by the time I get to 0.8, I puke. Sooner if combined with herb, which I learned many many years ago.

My response to alcohol is completely unreliable. There are times when half a drink hits me hard and the effect lingers and there are times that I can have 2 or 3 drinks over the course of a party and hardly feel any effects at all. Since I never know how alcohol is going to affect me at any given time I have made it a practice to not have a drink if I'm the driver, unless I know it will be several hours before I have to drive.

First drink gives me a buzz, second drink puts me over the top. Almost never have a third. My alcoholic beverage of choice is wine. One glass in the evening definitely relaxes me :) I also sober up very quickly.

If I'm a designated driver I always stop at one cocktail.

Absolutely wait at least a year post-op.

Latest posts

Back