BMI 47.4 with Medicare. .

Dr. Cooper out of Seymour does the DS. He is not on the vetted list but I loved him as a surgeon and adored his staff. I don't like how he handled my roomies BMI restrictions, he should have said he "personally" didn't do the DS on BMI's under 50 or he may be under the mistaken belief that Medicare won't pay. I'm not sure but it's the ONLY negative thing I can say about him. Love him as a man and a surgeon. He used the DaVinci robotic machine with me...I thought that was way kewl :)

Thanks for the info. I was just going by the list on DSfacts.com. I will keep that in mind that all surgeons aren't necessarily on their list. I have seen that machine, pretty awesome looking! I have a feeling due to scar tissue from gallbladder removal and a double hernia repair that my DS may be open. If she can do it laproscopic I wonder if she uses the DaVinci. I shall find out.

Terri, I think it's always better to go with a vetted surgeon but if circumstances make that not possible, research the surgeon and make the best educated choice possible. My roomie has her first appt with Dr. Inman (who does DS under a BMI of 50) at the end of the month. I can't wait for her ;)

I'd like to add to this review. I'm almost 5/6 years out, I've lost track. I am at goal, I've stayed within 20 lbs below or at goal since about a 1 1/2 years after surgery. I'd also like to add that the morning of the surgery without coffee, I was offered the SADI and it sounded like it was better so I bit. I was told it was different and that it had similar but not as long a record of results.

I've not seen Dr. Cooper since he tried the bait and switch to a bypass on my roommate after wasting a year of her time, that made me really angry. Stating that Medicare doesn't always pay for the DS. She should have been told that in the beginning. She had her REAL DS last week with Dr. Inman, finally :)

Now, I have had no horrid side effects from having the Sadi vs the DS. Occasionally (once every three months or so) if my stomach is upset, my poop smells like vomit. I'm assuming that's bile. I've recently had to go back on a PPI but it kind of coincided with me not drinking tea and drinking soda instead. I like fats and therefore have lots of orange oil slicks. Butter...it's amazing stuff. Saying that, I worry that I didn't get the right surgery and it's all going to fall apart. I don't think the SADI is going too well for many but hopefully my common channel is short enough (it was 200 or 250, I can't remember) and high enough to prevent bile reflux. I did have horrid milk intolerance for years but I'm able to drink lactose free milk as well as eat cheese now...who knew?

If I could do it all again, I would have the true DS. Not because the Sadi didn't work, not because I've had side effects but because tried and true is the best choice when it's ones life.

Latest posts

Back