Blood Transfusion?

Hey @Kristaz - I understand the need for a transfusion - may even need 2 units. Don't be surprised if they give you some post-op too.

what concerns me - and I apologize if I missed this in another post - why your counts are low in the first place? 8 is very low without some occult bleeding somewhere.

Hey @Kristaz - I understand the need for a transfusion - may even need 2 units. Don't be surprised if they give you some post-op too.

what concerns me - and I apologize if I missed this in another post - why your counts are low in the first place? 8 is very low without some occult bleeding somewhere.
Don't really know. Good news is they ran more labs and iron is "normal" (first time in like forever!) hemoglobin is up - just out side normal range. But D is low so he gave me an injection.

Had to have my spleen out a few months ago... May have something to do with it?

Don't really know. Good news is they ran more labs and iron is "normal" (first time in like forever!) hemoglobin is up - just out side normal range. But D is low so he gave me an injection.
Dr k likes vitamin D levels to be in good shape before surgery. He gave me an injection of D prior to my revision. This is really a blessing for you as it will help you heal and you won't have to worry about it being low the next few months.

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the pain meds the next few days. :D

I've had a couple of transfusions...and I was grateful. I can't tell you how much better I felt after I got them. Good people donate blood, and the screening process is strictly controlled.

@Kristaz that sure could play a part in it. not necessarily the spleen being gone, but the reason you needed to have it removed. Sounds like all is going well so glad to hear it.

OK so we got my preop bloodwork back and my iron and hemoglobin level is very low. Dr K said that an iron infusion at this point will not be effective in time for surgery so I will need to do a blood transfusion him with this kind of weirds me out. Any advice? Anyone else had to do this?

Every time he has even hospitalized me I have gotten a minimum of 2 unit and max of 8 units.

Latest posts

Back