Autoimmune disease and the DS....the saga

kirmy

I found out I had Grannuloma Annularae after my DS when my arms and knees became covered in ring worm type spots. They hung about for a year and suddenly vanished. Prior to my DS my inflammatory markers were always high...but I was SMO so it was written off. I also had the butterfly rash to my face....lupus anyone?

I've never had a proper diagnosis...cause my doctor never gave a shit but I am having a reoccuranve of my ring worm arms. One ring has turned into 7 and so on. So when the going gets tough the vain get going. I joined GA forums and researched the shit out of those mast calls and collgen. It seems that short bowel syndrome is linked positively to this symptom set. Hello autoimmune disease. Bastard!

One of the ways to get rid on the ringers as they shall henceforth be known is to eat a low histamine diet. What you say? Well foods that don't cause an inflammatory response. So this has restricted me to essentially meat, milk, ricotta, butter, non-processed meats, non yeast based everything's non-fermented foods so no vinegars or sauces and no preservatives, no tomatoes and a small selection of veg and fruit. So yeh with my gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance this gives me a plate load of fresh meat, some limited veg choices and not much else. I can have ice cream as long as it has no strawberries in it.

Boring.com.

However....I have fading ringers only after 72hrs and I've pissed out 2kgs in fluid weight in 48hrs. I feel good too and my obsessive need to eat every night after dinner is gone. I've not really wanted to snack much between meals. Possible keytosis yes...but I'm eating fruit and cheddar cheese in between (I'm offshore so choices are limited).

I just wanted to share this because it will be one of the possible issues us DSERS will come across over time.

Typical it happened to me really.

This is a good read with a list of banned and not banned foods.
http://mastcellblog.wordpress.com/histamine-diet/

Poor baby.

I can relate with the overlapping-conflicting diet BS. There's the DS-related stuff...in my case, no processed wheat flour...so this Mexican-Sicilian cannot eat flour tortillas or pasta or bread or anything breaded...and YES, YOU FOOD-SERVING/PREPPING ASSHOLES, PANKO IS BREAD!! And most raw veggies tear up my gut, so I can have soups with things like tomates (except, see below), carrots and celery.

And then my urologist thinks that low-oxalate is in order.

And the GI dude is all over the low FODMAPS diet.

And the Interstitial Cystitis folks think they have good diet ideas.

I think I am allowed tofu. But as you have observed... I live fairly close to a couple of really good bridges to hurl myself off of...excuse the dangling prepositions, please.

Meh it is what it is...no use feeling sorry for my saggy arsed self! The plus side is I'm dropping extra weight and I don't feel as if I'm about to do this:

I am finding adapting to this restrictive diet quite interesting. Not feeling bad feels good. I could get used to this.

Yo
Poor baby.

I can relate with the overlapping-conflicting diet BS. There's the DS-related stuff...in my case, no processed wheat flour...so this Mexican-Sicilian cannot eat flour tortillas or pasta or bread or anything breaded...and YES, YOU FOOD-SERVING/PREPPING ASSHOLES, PANKO IS BREAD!! And most raw veggies tear up my gut, so I can have soups with things like tomates (except, see below), carrots and celery.

And then my urologist thinks that low-oxalate is in order.

And the GI dude is all over the low FODMAPS diet.

And the Interstitial Cystitis folks think they have good diet ideas.

I think I am allowed tofu. But as you have observed... I live fairly close to a couple of really good bridges to hurl myself off of...excuse the dangling prepositions, please.
You've done well to live with the conflicting demands of your medical issues. It pisses me off that I've got to play health handball at 42 but at least I'll make 50. Couldn't say that five years ago...nor did I want to.

Latest posts

Back