Arrogant bitch hospitalist MD

Spiky Bugger

My BIL was recently VERY ill and he just spent 8 days in-patient with acute cardio/respiratory/kidney issues. MOST of that time was spent trying to balance his meds, so that the drug that fixes Problem A doesn't exacerbate Problem B.

He was discharged Friday afternoon.

-They issued a PAPER prescription, no narcotics involved...they could have called it in, faxed it or sent it electronically. We took the script to the pharmacy (sister didn't want to leave him home alone) and learned that the hospitalist did not print her name on the Rx, or her DEA#. It was on a hospital Rx pad, her signature was illegible. Pharmacy could not fill it. On a Friday after business hours.

-Monday, they went to LabCorp. The lab order was illegible. They had to contact the hopital and the cardio to figure out what was needed.

My sister was upset. She called her medical group; with her permission, I called the hospital Risk Management person and told gave her the above info. She said that there might be a problem and that she would look into it right away.

A couple hours later, the Hospitalist Bitch called my sister and told her that everything she did was just fine and there was NO RISK in her work and my sister, the pharmacy and the lab were wrong. My sister asked if everyone was lying. The good doctor hung up on her.

This time, my sister called Risk Mangement herself.

I'm thinkin' there MIGHT BE additional chapters? (When you send home a guy whose life is dependent on getting just the right combo of drugs with an unusable prescription and he can't test to see if it's working, there MAY BE a risk involved, eh?)

Time to call a lawyer? I mean a real one, of course.

I don't think she can sue them for being incompetent, until she experiences a loss of some kind. Pretty sure that being irritating and wasting our time doesn't count.

But...there ARE online reviews...and the truth IS a defense.

No, I mean call a lawyer who calls the hospital's lawyer to get that shit taken care of NOW - you don't wait for something to cause damage.

I called Risk Mgmt...so did my sister. We are awaiting their response. In writing. Then it might be time to move up that ladder.

Does the hospital have an ombudsman"? Or a patient representative? If he's on Medicare, you can file a complaint with them. This could be as much fun as messing with pesky phone calls. :devilish::whistling:

Oh! I hadn't thought of a Medicare complaint. He's on a Medicare Advantage plan, I think....that counts, right?

The quality improvement organization (QIO) for CA is Livanta. I copied this from their web site. (https://livantaqio.com)

Some examples of quality of care concerns include:
• Medication mistakes or other serious healthcare errors

• New infections, bed sores, or falls at a healthcare facility

• Severe and unexpected bleeding or blood clots

Poor discharge or follow up information

• Dissatisfaction with healthcare

• Immediate advocacy and support

• Long wait times

• Care ending too soon

I worked for a QIO for eight years. Every complaint that we received resulted in a case review. I'm not sure filing a complaint would resolve your issues, but requesting a review would be a pain in the ass for the hospital. That third bullet addresses the problem.

If the QIO doesn't help, the Medicare HMO probably has a program to look into complaints. Health care has become very competitive, i.e. heavy ad saturation during open the enrollment period. They care about losing a source of income when someone switches plans. So once again it comes down to money.

Last edited:
The quality improvement organization (QIO) for CA is Livanta. I copied this from their web site. (https://livantaqio.com)

Some examples of quality of care concerns include:
• Medication mistakes or other serious healthcare errors

• New infections, bed sores, or falls at a healthcare facility

• Severe and unexpected bleeding or blood clots

Poor discharge or follow up information

• Dissatisfaction with healthcare

• Immediate advocacy and support

• Long wait times

• Care ending too soon

I worked for a QIO for eight years. Every complaint that we received resulted in a case review. I'm not sure filing a complaint would resolve your issues, but requesting a review would be a pain in the ass for the hospital. That third bullet addresses the problem.

If the QIO doesn't help, the Medicare HMO probably has a program to look into complaints. Health care has become very competitive, i.e. heavy ad saturation during open the enrollment period. They care about losing a source of income when someone switches plans. So once again it comes down to money.

Well, thank you, but...oh, shit, too...now I'm having outpatient surgery AT THAT HOSPITAL next Tuesday...

There is sometimes what I call Medical Omerta when docs turn a blind eye to their peers. It doesn't mean they condone what other docs, do, they don't want another doc to go after them. Believe it or not, the surgeon who was present when my husband went into a procedure related coma later did my total knee replacement. The difference was the way the surgeon handled the anesthesia caused problem. I wouldn't condemn the hospital for the actions of one doc, but I wouldn't let it go if he/she was an arrogant prick/bitch.

I work in healthcare in an inpatient setting. The best way to be a bee in the bonnet is to get in touch with patient relations. Explain to them the situation and that there was harm done to the patient due to incompetence. If you don't feel like patient relations is helpful, casually tell them you are seeking legal council.

Whatever payment he is making out of pocket, refuse to pay. Send a letter to the appropriate people and state what happened, didn't happen, and why you shouldn't have to pay.

And by harm done to the patient, I mean he didn't receive pain relief and labs were not run that would confirm a diagnosis and treatment plan. That is harm to the patient in the hospital's eyes.

Latest posts

Back