Any other RNYers here?

Ok RNYers I'm on the hunt to get some more of us here. Please let your surgery friends know about this board.

I'm sending out invites to those I know.
I had RNY 8/2003. Had no problem keeping my weight stable until I hit the 10 year mark. Now it is more of a challenge but I also know that some sugar and flour have decided they would like to be a part of my menu. It is the dickens getting them to leave again. But mostly, I eat a high protein and low carb diet. I also go to Vitalady for my vitamin regimen. It won't do you any good to ask most doctors about your nutrition. They get very little education in this area and if your doctor is still telling you Instant Breakfast and a Tum is good enough, run, run, run. The B vitamins are vital to your brain so get some sublingual B as that is the best way for absorption. I found Vitalady soon after my surgery and I feel so blessed that I did. So many find several years out, that they are deficient in all area. Vitalady has had RNY as well as her husband and her children. She is well educated on our special needs and she is there to help you.

:rainbowwelcome: Beckysof2003...it's great that you are doing so well even if creep has attacked your weight...Good attitude...focus and attack the offenders!

Hi Becky! Glad to see you here and hear you are doing pretty darn good at 10 years out. My surgery anniversary is in a couple of weeks. It seems unreal some days it's almost 9 years now.

RNY in October 2004. Lost a lot, gained a bit back, now lost another 30 since springtime (total of about 115 off). Have to admit I'm one of the very lucky ones - no vitamin deficiencies, no real issues, can eat anything, drink wine, etc. I do get nauseated if I eat too much or too fast, especially beef or broccoli, so the solution is - eat those things more slowly. I'm so lucky that I mostly just consider myself normal, but that took a while. I do still preach a little to others who might be helped, and it seems that this "normal" appearance convinces some of them, particularly those who have heard of or seen only the tougher cases. My only health issue is having to take meds for gastric reflux, which causes poor calcium absorption and has now resulted in osteoporosis. It's either take the stuff and mess up my bones, or stop it and risk esophageal cancer. Apparently there are meds that can help, but now I have to do extensive dental work first, and haven't mentally gotten it together to start. However, the problem has nothing to do with the bypass surgery. Wish I could have done it thirty years earlier!

Good to have you on board @RockDoc :)

RNY in October 2004. Lost a lot, gained a bit back, now lost another 30 since springtime (total of about 115 off). Have to admit I'm one of the very lucky ones - no vitamin deficiencies, no real issues, can eat anything, drink wine, etc. I do get nauseated if I eat too much or too fast, especially beef or broccoli, so the solution is - eat those things more slowly. I'm so lucky that I mostly just consider myself normal, but that took a while. I do still preach a little to others who might be helped, and it seems that this "normal" appearance convinces some of them, particularly those who have heard of or seen only the tougher cases. My only health issue is having to take meds for gastric reflux, which causes poor calcium absorption and has now resulted in osteoporosis. It's either take the stuff and mess up my bones, or stop it and risk esophageal cancer. Apparently there are meds that can help, but now I have to do extensive dental work first, and haven't mentally gotten it together to start. However, the problem has nothing to do with the bypass surgery. Wish I could have done it thirty years earlier!

Hello RockDoc!! :welcometotheforum:
glad you are doing so well with your Rny.
did you lose weight after retiring? because I find that impressive, if so. I know having a job helps me just with structure.

I need to start taking calcium again maybe, now that I'm am (probably) in The Minnow Paws. Osteoporosis: I see Patients with it at work and it's ugly. I suspect it might sneak up on me.

did you lose weight after retiring?

Yes - this spring. I started intermittent fasting - eating only every other day - because I frequently really wasn't hungry and it seemed a shame to waste that. It wasn't too hard, and it seems to still be sort of working, because my appetite for "bad" foods has decreased. Did the fasting only for a couple of months, and kept up all the vitamins and other supplements the whole time.

Osteoporosis: I see Patients with it at work and it's ugly.

OK, OK. I'll get onto it. >8-P. (Mommmmm......Jackie's picking on me againnnn....)

hey! whatever works for you. fasting would make me want to bite my co-workers!
fun smilie, but you don't need to make your own: we have TONS :cheer:

:stick:

can that be true? I think of an Ipad as the ultimate in surfing the web. could I be wrong? :no:

.....sent from my cheap ass netbook that does swell with smilies :Coopwink:

It's there. But when I poke it nothing happens.

Well, crud. This morning something happened. I hate this iPad. It's the :devilish: .
It's there cause I've used the smilies on the iPad, you just have to scroll down. Same with the iPhone...it's there. They are as menu tabs below the box AFTER you click the smilie button. But you have to click that button for them to show up.

Latest posts

Back