Any DSers Hate Mayo??

@southernlady we have both Hellmans and Best Foods here in AZ. I thought we I noticed Hellmans on the shelf it was a new generic. I didn't realize its a name brand
Both are made by the same company...it's just one name east of the Mississippi and another name west of the Mississippi. But BOTH names are the same recipe and have SUGAR in the list of ingredients.

Duke's, OTOH, does not have sugar at all.

Best Foods/Hellman's and Duke's have abandoned their original recipes and now use soybean oil to save money.

I'll probably start making my own mayo, since it's cheap, easy and uses ingredients I usually have around the house.

I grew up on Hellmann's, then tried Duke's. Duke's won. It's harder to find though. I have made my own mayo, and it truly is some yummy stuff, and not hard at all.. However most of the time, unless I'm making tuna salad or have roast beef- I use mashed avocados. However nothing beats good toasted white bread, thick sliced homegrown tomatoes, and a big smear of mayo, with salt & pepper.. when I grew my own, pre-surgery, I'd eat one, while frying bacon for more..

I'm a mayo hater. I like Hidden Valley Ranch because it's the only one that isn't mayo tasting. I like that, sour cream and greek yogurt. All work as substitutions IMO.

Both are made by the same company...it's just one name east of the Mississippi and another name west of the Mississippi. But BOTH names are the same recipe and have SUGAR in the list of ingredients.

Duke's, OTOH, does not have sugar at all.
@southernlady that's so funny because I wouldn't use it after I brought it and ended up throwing it away. Lol

"Best Foods/Hellman's and Duke's have abandoned their original recipes and now use soybean oil to save money."

This explains why I lost my enthusiasm for Best foods/ Helmans.

Making it is easy, and it's DELICIOUS compared to purchased. So easily altered too for salty, sweet, or herbs.

One question - raw egg? Isn't this a little dicey? But it sure looks easy. And the opportunity to use flavored oils and/or vinegars, a little wasabi, etc., is very tempting!

I honestly did not know these products exist! I'm going to have to look for them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurized_eggs

Apparently the Cox family (not related to me, sadly) developed a patented process for pasteurizing shell eggs. I'm pretty familiar with the dangers of salmonellosis, including the long term sequellae that can occur (e.g., reactive arthritis), but I must say, I didn't know that my easy over eggs are not considered to be a safe food product.

I honestly did not know these products exist! I'm going to have to look for them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurized_eggs

Apparently the Cox family (not related to me, sadly) developed a patented process for pasteurizing shell eggs. I'm pretty familiar with the dangers of salmonellosis, including the long term sequellae that can occur (e.g., reactive arthritis), but I must say, I didn't know that my easy over eggs are not considered to be a safe food product.
Happy to be of assistance ;)

OK, I'm willing to give it a go - how do you make mayonnaise? Recipes with detailed instructions please!

Here's a post I put up a while ago when I was desperate to make mayo out of avacado oils and flavored vinegars with another simple recipe a few down.

I use a stick blender, and it's almost un-screw-up-able. Perfect for me. Wasabi is my current craving in my own mayo, and I have a lot of herbs from this summer that have been great blended in as well.

Happy to be of assistance ;)
Well, apparently because of my gallbladder not liking egg yolks for DECADES, I had been using pasteurized eggs as long as I could...til a year ago.

And yes, it may be soybean oil in Duke's but I still prefer it to Hellmann's and really don't want to make my own.

Latest posts

Back