Anticoagulants and PPIs

I wish you would - I seem stuck at twice the usual dose and it worries me. not enough to cut back on coffee even more, but some.

So here is my deal...

Originally straight out of surgery the cutter put me on Omeprazole since I was on Enoxaparin sodium and not my normal Clopidogrel. After 30 days I had to go back on Clopidogrel so they switched me Famotidine 40mg/day.

Now the PCP and Cardiologist took me off the Clopidogrel totally. I am still on a 81mg/day aspirin.

So should I ask to go back to the Omeprazole or not?

Thanks,

Brian C.

Why not ask to be on one of the PPIs that DOESN'T interact with clopidogrel? Or Tagamet or another drug that acts via a different mechanism and doesn't compete with clopidogrel for CYP2C19?

The important thing is that if you have reflux that can cause irritation and bleeding, and you are on an anticoagulant, you should be taking something to reduce the stomach acid.

So here is my deal...

Originally straight out of surgery the cutter put me on Omeprazole since I was on Enoxaparin sodium and not my normal Clopidogrel. After 30 days I had to go back on Clopidogrel so they switched me Famotidine 40mg/day.

Now the PCP and Cardiologist took me off the Clopidogrel totally. I am still on a 81mg/day aspirin.

So should I ask to go back to the Omeprazole or not?

Thanks,

Brian C.
Don't borrow trouble. If you don't need it, don't take it!

Latest posts

Back