Am I Crazy?!

Kristaz

Ok. So as some of you may know I have been working to get insurance coverage to get a revision from the RnY to the DS. Well... I have my insurance handled I think and have my consult with Dr K later this month but I am getting nervous. I am researching like crazy and have been fighting for this. I know I have the right Doc but am still nervous r and still feeling doubt.

I am 11 years post RnY - I am considered a "successful " RNYer because I have maintained 50% of excess weight losses but technically still overweight and borderline obese. I am 195ish at 5'7". My primary reason for revision is severe dumping , hypoglycemic episodes and seeing some rise again in my blood pressure. However some times I wonder if I should just deal with it as I have been ( however after an episode of dumping, I feel like this is the right choice) but as I think and research I know how big of a surgery this is... Any advice or pep talks?

I'm 186 and 5'5" 12.5 years post DS - but otherwise healthy. I would NEVER do another surgery just for some more weight loss. But you have severe dumping, hypoglycemia, return of hypertension - how bad is it? RNY to DS revisions are NOT easy - lots of complications - but you have the best surgeon. And approval, which is SUPER hard to come by with your situation.

Your choice. How miserable are you?

I understand being nervous and a little scared, but I think you know this is needed. Putting your pyloric valve back in use will resolve your dumping. You should not have to deal with that or hypertension. The DS should also help the hypoglycemia but there is not a 100% guarantee.

As Diana said. RnY GBP to DS surgeries are not as easy as a virgin ds and they can be tough. That bring said we have lots of members who had the procedure and are doing well. Dr K has performed 500 revisions and 2,000 overall ds procedures. There is nobody better at this procedure than Dr K.

As a Dr K patient who lives in central, IL I can tell you his aftercare follow up is amazing. You have any issues or concerns you shoot an email and he will respond within an hour if not in surgery and if in surgery will respond that night. If you have not met this man you will be amazed when you do. He will explain everything in great detail and his sense of humor and his concern for his patients is out of this world. I am sure you saw my review of Dr K that I wrote and he posted as his blog on his site this week. I think the world of this man from his knowledge, technical surgery skills, follow up, bedside manner and just overall concern for his patients, hell for patients he hasn't met but he receives an email question. You could not be in better hands.

If you have questions pm me, but I think you know that you need this procedure for your health and quality of life. Surgery and recovery isn't fun but it is worth it.

I'm 186 and 5'5" 12.5 years post DS - but otherwise healthy. I would NEVER do another surgery just for some more weight loss. But you have severe dumping, hypoglycemia, return of hypertension - how bad is it? RNY to DS revisions are NOT easy - lots of complications - but you have the best surgeon. And approval, which is SUPER hard to come by with your situation.

Your choice. How miserable are you?
I agree. To be honest Additional weight loss would be nice but not really my concern. It is to the point where planning your day around when you can eat based on access to a restroom and the after affects, discomfort etc are just taking a toll on me and really husband and son too.

I understand being nervous and a little scared, but I think you know this is needed. Putting your pyloric valve back in use will resolve your dumping. You should not have to deal with that or hypertension. The DS should also help the hypoglycemia but there is not a 100% guarantee.

As Diana said. RnY GBP to DS surgeries are not as easy as a virgin ds and they can be tough. That bring said we have lots of members who had the procedure and are doing well. Dr K has performed 500 revisions and 2,000 overall ds procedures. There is nobody better at this procedure than Dr K.

As a Dr K patient who lives in central, IL I can tell you his aftercare follow up is amazing. You have any issues or concerns you shoot an email and he will respond within an hour if not in surgery and if in surgery will respond that night. If you have not met this man you will be amazed when you do. He will explain everything in great detail and his sense of humor and his concern for his patients is out of this world. I am sure you saw my review of Dr K that I wrote and he posted as his blog on his site this week. I think the world of this man from his knowledge, technical surgery skills, follow up, bedside manner and just overall concern for his patients, hell for patients he hasn't met but he receives an email question. You could not be in better hands.

If you have questions pm me, but I think you know that you need this procedure for your health and quality of life. Surgery and recovery isn't fun but it is worth it.
Thank you! It is definitely helpful to hear son reassurances that I'm not making a huge mistake in pursuing this and additional info on Dr.k I am very excited to finally meet him!

I agree with you and the others - if this were just about your weight, the risks would not be worth the potential benefits. But if dumping is severe and ruining you life and you can't prevent it by just avoiding sugars, you have a good reason to proceed. I know from reading Dr. K's paper on revisions that he has done other RNY to DS revisions for just this reason, so you aren't the first and you probably won't be the last.
For some people with RNY, dumping is easily avoided. They learn what foods (usually something they were told not to eat anyway) to avoid, or exactly how much they can get away with before they will dump. For others, dumping is terrible and happens with seemingly innocuous foods that ought to be healthy choices, or with just about anything. If that's you, there is nothing else you can do to change this other than revision.

Latest posts

Back