Advice on low copper and low Gamma Tocopherol (Vit E)

mlleelise

Hello, all! I have vitamin/lab question. I had my DS on 2/13/12 - with a couple of revisions over the years. I've been doing well, although am a super-absorber and often have over-the-top vitamin levels (D, Calcium and others are often too high). I regularly take my vites and minerals and get yearly labs. However, in the last 6 months, my copper levels have been slowly dropping. I'm up to 8 mg of chelated copper a day, per doctor's order, but my last copper lab is down to 56 (range is 72-166)
Also, my levels of Vitamin E - Gamma Tocopherol - also is dropping ( now down to .1 - range is .5-4.9) However, Vitamin E(Alpha Tocopherol) is normal. Is the low Gamma something for me to be concerned about? If so, what do you recommend I take? I need to find a dry version, I'm sure.
Any advice would be appreciated!!

For Vit E the one you need to focus on is Alpha Tocopherol. I take Now Dry Vit E 400 mg. I was low in Vit E for a brief time and it went up to normal very quickly with supplementation. Since you are so low you may want to try 800 mg daily and recheck in a couple of months.

Regarding copper Marquis Mark might have some suggestions for you. I know that copper and zinc compete and if you are having trouble absorbing one or the other you need to take them separately.

Oops -- sorry you said your Alpha Tocopherol level (Vit E) was in range. That is the one to focus on.

My lab values show a Vitamin E - Gamma Tocopherol norm of <4.3. Mine was <1.0 and was reported as "in range".

Thanks for your input. My Vit E - Gamma Tocopherol is down to .1. Normal range is .5 to 4.9; so mine being .1, is
lower than the .5. I don't think the Gamma E is that important...but not really sure.
Thanks again!

I’m not sure low gamma tocopherol is a bad thing:

“Recent studies reveal disparate effects from supplementation with α- γ- and TC in clinical studies of asthma and atherosclerosis.13,17,18,20 It has been suggested that excess α-TC taken in supplements causes a reduction of γ-TC concentration in plasma due to more rapid metabolism of γ-TC.24 Reports indicate that allergic inflammation is inhibited by supplementation with α-TC but elevated by supplementation with γ-TC.13Studies suggest that γ-TC elevates inflammation in experimental asthma and ablates the anti-inflammatory benefit of α-TC treatment.17 A recent clinical study found that α-TC supplementation produced improved spirometric parameters while γ-tocopherol produced a negative effect on spirometric parameters.18 Another recent study revealed a positive association between dietary vitamin E intake and lung function, and evidence of an inverse relationship between serum levels of γ-tocopherol and lung function.25”

Latest posts

Back