Copper Deficiency

mlleelise

Hello - I am nearly 10 years out from my original DS surgery with Dr. Keshishian. Since my revision in 2019, I have done better than ever...except I have developed a copper deficiency. I take 8 mg of copper over the course of a day - and have for 1 year - and yet my copper labs continue to be low (63). My nutritionist does not want to increase my dosage any further. I have dropped zinc (which interferes with copper absorption). I also continue to have an issue of sky-high vit B levels, even though I take no B supplements. My A levels are also high. I have always been a super-absorber (as Dr. K labeled me)- super-absorb calories and nutrients from my food.
Just curious if anyone else has had issues with low copper and how you have handled it. Thanks!:)

I take 18mg/copper/day. Have for years. And I make sure it’s separated from the zinc by at least an hour. Some DSers separate copper and zinc by days. Is there a reason your DS nutritionist doesn’t want you to increase it?

My A was also high. I’ve taken one 25,000iu 6x/year for several years. It’s now in a good range.

Thank you both for your advice. I will up my copper supplements - it's crazy how nuts are so conservative with supplements. If that doesn't work, I'll check into infusions. As for the vit A...I have been taking 25K once a week. I'll try cutting back like you have, aaa.

Latest posts

Back