9 weeks out

DBmom23

I can't believe the summer is almost over and it has been 9 weeks (+ a few days) since my DS.
My pre-surgery weight was 197/BMI 34 (highest weight 204). I have lost 29 pounds so far and have yet to hit a true stall (fingers crossed). What has been most amazing is that I've logged my eating every single day on MFP (thanks to you guys who recommended it to me pre-op) and haven't had any carbs besides small amounts of vegetables, beans and once a small bowl of heavily buttered popcorn. I used to struggle so much to track my food and stay away consistently from all the treats at work, at home, at social events. It's just so much easier now and I really hope this practice and the positive reinforcement makes it stick.

This week I have definitely turned a corner in terms of my appetite. For a while it was a real struggle for me to find foot that was appealing. If I didn't make a conscious effort, I could go the whole day without food, and something that tasted OK one day would be repulsive the next. Lately I've been eating more and enjoying it more too. Still sticking to just protein with lots of fat and few carbs, but I'm actually hungry now. I'm happy to be enjoying eating again, but it's also a little scary. I know I will have to face down cravings and boredom eating at some point but hoping to put that off for a bit longer.

NSVs=10,000 steps/day almost every day, occasionally taking the stairs to my office on the 9th floor, fitting into some of the clothes in my closet that have collected dust bunnies over the past years, being able to sit for a prolonged stretch in my jeans without getting a stomach cramp from the tight waistband, and generally being more confident and happy.

I did wonder in the first month whether I had made a mistake being a healthy overweight/borderline MO person to go for such a drastic surgery, particularly as I was struggling with the vitamins. But now it feels so worth it. As the pounds drop off, for the first time, it is without that nagging feeling that it will come right back with the slightest let up of will power and that I somehow have to get used to constant deprivation and hunger as the price to pay for any sustained weight loss. I feel like I can do it and get to my goal (of course now wanting to adjust my goal downward) and stay there.

Thank you to all of you on this board for your commitment to this community and for your humor and wisdom. Only my husband knows about my surgery so it has been a great outlet for me to come here and read about others' experiences and share my own.

Off to a wonderful start, you are @DBmom23! And it will only get better from here. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Latest posts

Back