25 Day Eating Rut, Freezing Rut, Rut Rut.....

stanh

Oh my God.

I am so sick of chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken of any kind...Yogurt...I gave up on Jello before I even came home from the hospital. Close to being over lunch meat and cream cheese, Italian lunch meats wrapped around mozzarella...

I want to eat peanuts or pistachios...I want some crunch (Fried chicken might be tolerable...But probably is full of carbs...crap). I would eat pickles...Are they considered a "soft" food?

I'm supposed to be on "soft" foods until week 6....Are you kidding me???

I had a couple of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage patties last weekend...Delectable. Maybe I need to eat more of those. I had some shrimp one night...Could barely eat 4. Avocados with lemon juice sprinkled on top are good, but lacking in protein...

I still like hot sauces. Yum. If only I could put it on something crunchy. I want to go to Trader Joe's and buy some of those crackers/chips that others have posted about...Maybe I have to go back to refried beans. At least I can melt the cheese and put hot sauce on them.

Cheese is ok, but really, how much cheese can you eat?

I got crazy tonight..I had bought a can of Hormel tamales for some reason, a long time ago. They were still in the pantry..That was going to be my dinner. Talk about yuck. Into the garbage. (2 tamales would have 15g of carbs).. My wife took pity on me and went out and bought me a Subway meatball sandwich. I ate 4 of the meatballs. Much better, but after found out they had 18 carbs, which for me is a lot at one meal (so far)...Hated tossing the bread, but my paperwork says no bread, etc. until 6 weeks post op...I know, the tamales have masa (or whatever it is Hormel uses to pass for masa), but they were mushy...Sounds like I am justifying things...

My daily carbs are hovering between 20g to 45g's per day...Today's are at 61g's, Thanks to yogurt, the 1 1/2 tamales I forced down, and the meatballs.

Doing pretty good getting my daily protein, mostly in the form of chicken or tuna and cheese (roll eyes). I have a protein shake once in a while. I need one today. Needed one yesterday as well (the beginning of not wanting to eat the same thing over and over..)

Water - has been pretty good. Slowed down today, but still over 64 oz.

Oh my God, I am so sick of chicken and tuna. And lunch meat...Have I said that?

I'm open to suggestions...Grateful as well.

And why does my back hurt so much/often? Right between the right shoulder blade and spine...It sucks getting old.

And seriously - I have been SO COLD!!!
That is unnatural for me. I live in Colorado and am used to wearing shorts 9 months out of the year. I am the one who freezes out my family with the A/C as soon as the weather starts warming up. I drive with my sun roof open when it is 48 outside...But now, I come home from work and I am freezing. So cold....It's not like I am a little skinny guy...What the heck is up with this phenomenom???? I turned our thermostat to 71 and still couldn't get warm.

OK....I've been holding all of that in for a while now......Thank you for having a place for me to vent.

I'm going to have a spoonful of peanut butter (creamy)...Seems like that should qualify as a "soft" food...I really want crunchy peanut butter, but am seriously trying to remain a "good" patient (or whatever I am)...

I need to stop now before I get banned from here....

Stan. BREATHE. There is oh, so much more to life than whistentat goes in your mouth. Yes I know this is impossible to comprehend, but thin about it anyway: What if you could never EVER taste or swallow ANYTHING again? What if your swallow reflex were suddenly nonexistent? No more slobber, no more control over your mouth?

Bacon....get the microwave stuff at Costco. Black label hormel - takes a minute or less to nuke.

Breakfast link sausage...the real stuff with no fillers. Cook up a big batch and put in ziplock bags for the week to reheat.

Steak strips, Kirkland brand, also at Costco. Very soft, full of flavour jerky strips, you should be about ready for those.

For crunch - the trader joes soy and flax tortilla chips have 8 gr protein for 7 chips. - so you can stretch those 7 out throughout your day.

Edited to add: Oops...you wanted to vent, not get ideas for experimenting. My bad! Disregard the above!
Best of luck!

EN - Ouch! o_O...Don't sugar coat it! Haha...Thanks for slapping me upside the head and stopping the pity party! (some of what you wrote reminds me of my 21st birthday...)
Taterweight - Thank you for the ideas. And I did ask for suggestions, it was probably just buried in between gripes!
k9ophile - You're right..I'm counting the days

Oh my God.

I am so sick of chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken of any kind...Yogurt...I gave up on Jello before I even came home from the hospital. Close to being over lunch meat and cream cheese, Italian lunch meats wrapped around mozzarella...

I want to eat peanuts or pistachios...I want some crunch (Fried chicken might be tolerable...But probably is full of carbs...crap). I would eat pickles...Are they considered a "soft" food?

I'm supposed to be on "soft" foods until week 6....Are you kidding me???

I had a couple of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage patties last weekend...Delectable. Maybe I need to eat more of those. I had some shrimp one night...Could barely eat 4. Avocados with lemon juice sprinkled on top are good, but lacking in protein...

I still like hot sauces. Yum. If only I could put it on something crunchy. I want to go to Trader Joe's and buy some of those crackers/chips that others have posted about...Maybe I have to go back to refried beans. At least I can melt the cheese and put hot sauce on them.

Cheese is ok, but really, how much cheese can you eat?

I got crazy tonight..I had bought a can of Hormel tamales for some reason, a long time ago. They were still in the pantry..That was going to be my dinner. Talk about yuck. Into the garbage. (2 tamales would have 15g of carbs).. My wife took pity on me and went out and bought me a Subway meatball sandwich. I ate 4 of the meatballs. Much better, but after found out they had 18 carbs, which for me is a lot at one meal (so far)...Hated tossing the bread, but my paperwork says no bread, etc. until 6 weeks post op...I know, the tamales have masa (or whatever it is Hormel uses to pass for masa), but they were mushy...Sounds like I am justifying things...

My daily carbs are hovering between 20g to 45g's per day...Today's are at 61g's, Thanks to yogurt, the 1 1/2 tamales I forced down, and the meatballs.

Doing pretty good getting my daily protein, mostly in the form of chicken or tuna and cheese (roll eyes). I have a protein shake once in a while. I need one today. Needed one yesterday as well (the beginning of not wanting to eat the same thing over and over..)

Water - has been pretty good. Slowed down today, but still over 64 oz.

Oh my God, I am so sick of chicken and tuna. And lunch meat...Have I said that?

I'm open to suggestions...Grateful as well.

And why does my back hurt so much/often? Right between the right shoulder blade and spine...It sucks getting old.

And seriously - I have been SO COLD!!!
That is unnatural for me. I live in Colorado and am used to wearing shorts 9 months out of the year. I am the one who freezes out my family with the A/C as soon as the weather starts warming up. I drive with my sun roof open when it is 48 outside...But now, I come home from work and I am freezing. So cold....It's not like I am a little skinny guy...What the heck is up with this phenomenom???? I turned our thermostat to 71 and still couldn't get warm.

OK....I've been holding all of that in for a while now......Thank you for having a place for me to vent.

I'm going to have a spoonful of peanut butter (creamy)...Seems like that should qualify as a "soft" food...I really want crunchy peanut butter, but am seriously trying to remain a "good" patient (or whatever I am)...

I need to stop now before I get banned from here....

Eggs are a good one. Sushi is a lifesaver for me. Spicy tuna without rice gets my spicy fix. I also have always been one that ran hot but after the surgery I also found myself cold as well.

Sorry Stan! I feel ya! I was the same way only I hate yogurt, always have, always will so I had to force it. It was just a few weeks ago for me, I can hardly remember what I even ate. Chicken thighs baked crispy in the oven were good, so were crispy baked chicken wings. Taco meat with sour cream and cheese melted. Eat it like chili, pretty tasty. Miso soup.

Keep the faith. This will pass soon!

Try some tilapia or other soft fish. You can bake it with hot sauce or fry it dipped in egg and parmesan cheese! And protein wise it's great! You should be able to eat chili. That's soft. How about chicken strips marinated in lime and jerk spice then cooked and served with Alfredo Sauce. It can be served with noodles for the rest of the family. Make lasagna. Just leave the noodles out of your portion. Use a mini-casserole and fill it with layers of meat sauce, ricotta and moz. Does Chinese take out sound good? How about egg fu yung? Same as scrambled eggs. Or how about egg salad or deviled eggs? You can make enchiladas the same way as the lasagna. Just don't use the tortilla in yours. Just load up a mini-casserole with meat, cheese, beans, and sauce.

The cold thing happens to almost all of us. I was never cold. I lived in Minnesota even. Now I freeze and it takes a long time to warm up. Here's a tip for you, buy an electric blanket and turn it on high for a half hour before you go to bed. When you get in bed it's nice and toasty. Then turn it off for the rest of the night. I used to do this with a heated mattress pad too. You won't be wearing shorts year round anymore. I live in Vegas and I wear fleece all winter!

This too shall pass. In no time at all this will be over!

glad you could vent here, Stan, just know things will get better soon. except the freezing thing - that might not.

EN - Ouch! o_O...Don't sugar coat it! Haha...Thanks for slapping me upside the head and stopping the pity party! (some of what you wrote reminds me of my 21st birthday...)
Taterweight - Thank you for the ideas. And I did ask for suggestions, it was probably just buried in between gripes!
k9ophile - You're right..I'm counting the days

This is a phase to be endured fersure....But I hope it might help to put things in perspective: This is very temporary. Vent away :). It feels like it will go on forever, but it really IS just a few days of your life. Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back