2 weeks away to the day!

Revision

Hi all,

Just checking in. OR is 2 weeks from today.

My DS surgeon likes 2 weeks of pre-op Optifast. I know this is a debatable issue and has been discussed extensively elsewhere. Somehow its gotten into his protocol. I'm doing 4 of these lovely shakes per day :)

I started it yesterday, and i must say, as unpleasant as it is, it does give one an opportunity to reflect on how much we eat, how much emphasis we put on food, and how intolerant of hunger many of us are.

I think part of the problem with obesity for many people (which undoubtedly is multifactorial), is an obsession with (specific) food and eating. I think learning to be able to tolerate a bit of hunger would not be a bad thing for me. The old "eat to live, don't live to eat" perspective I think plays a small role here and regardless of surgery is an important aspect in managing MO.

I believe strongly that MO cannot be 'cured' with lifestyle and dietary changes, and that these surgeries are essential for us. I do also think that part of it is also challenging our relationship with food, perhaps even in fundamental ways.

I think there is also a spiritual element to it as well. Not to get into all that too much, but perhaps indulging the body does distance us a bit from larger questions in life.

I guess I'm trying to use this time to reflect on my complex relationship with food and eating, and looking forward to using this tool to hopefully improve more than just my waistline....

Cheers,
R

PS: Looking forward to that bacon!! Lol.

Best of luck to you on your journey R.

I don't want this to scare you and this is just my personal experience, but I am more fixated on food now than ever because of my quest to eat protein and have good nutritional values....and I am more hungry than I ever was even though I eat all the time. I eat something every hour or two, but as of this morning I weighed 177 pounds even though last night I ate a boat load of pasta last and dessert afterwards. (Biaggi's Cappelin DiMare with extra Mare. Man that stuff is good and my wife's left over shrimp and lobster cannelloni which was freaking awesome as well. Then we finished with a Butterscotch Budini (pretty sure they made up that word..LOL)

I do feel like I am overdoing it at times but my weight is not going up. I also feel my body is telling me what I need to do so I listen to it.

@Revision I agree with you and I agree with @DSRIGGS - I have cooked more since surgery than i did before- because I like trying new things and I can cook and add butter or bacon or both :) and enjoy the food without the guilt.
Since surgery I have been better about recording what I eat and planning my food so that I make sure I get in enough protein. It is such a different mind set, and it very likely is eat to live now because pre-op it was all about living to eat.

Latest posts

Back