Zinc

I'm taking approx 2000 RDA of zinc and have been for over 9 months with zero effect and my Drs said I can't take anymore. I'm now waiting to hear about IV infusions.

So sorry to hear what you're still going through.

You're taking 300 mg. zinc/day (As Zinc Gluconate, Oxide, Aspartate). Do you eat with it? I always do and take 400 mg./day of zinc with little gastro. side effects (split into 4 doses; perhaps you need to split it up during the day). I also take 18 mg./day of copper (split into 3 doses during the day). It's good you wait 4 hours inbetween them. I generally wait 1 hour+.
Wow 18 mg of copper is a ton compared to what I was taking. I think I was taking an extra 1or 2 beyond what was in my multi.

That being said I had labs drawn today so I will see where everything comes in. Maybe I need to increase both copper and zinc intake.

Hi DSRIGGS:

I do take copper but I take it first thing with my heme iron and don't start my zinc regime for 4 hours after to make sure they don't counteract. My copper levels are good and I've been told with the amount of zinc I'm taking I have to watch these closely.

I am taking 300mg of ELEMENTAL zinc split out into two forms, gluconate and sulphate at the moment. This is a big amount and it causes some gastric distress let me tell you! Does your units mean elemental?

I'm in the UK and we don't have anywhere as near as many options as the USA members. I had to buy my heme iron from JAPAN! You cannot get it here full stop. Same seems to be the case with Orotate sadly. We can import it from the states of course but by the time we pay for the shipping, the customs charges etc, it can end up 400% the price.

I tried chelated and piccolate but my labs tanked down to 5 on them so I went back to the above. I've managed to get back to the 6.3 I was before the tank but it's not getting any higher.

Here in the UK doctors don't know anything about malnutrition and frankly don't wish to learn. I have a bariatric team that take my bloods but don't don't even contact you to tell you that you are deficient, which is how I got into the mess I was in. I now demand a copy and deal with it myself. I've asked for IV infusions to at least get it up to a level above 10, when it was up there the side affects weren't noticeable, but now are awful. I don't have any skin on the inside of my mouth at the moment because my new side effect is mouth ulcers constantly. Past months eating has not been fun! I can't drive in the dark (even when it's not pitch dark) due to nightblindness (my A is perfect - all other labs are now), confirmed as a side effect by my Drs, so I may lose my job come the winter. It's very stressful.
I have to look at my bottle when I get home. I think it is actually 300mg and not IU.

Wow 18 mg of copper is a ton compared to what I was taking. I think I was taking an extra 1or 2 beyond what was in my multi.

That being said I had labs drawn today so I will see where everything comes in. Maybe I need to increase both copper and zinc intake.
It is a ton. It's the most my DS nutrit. has seen; however, with the 400 mg. of zinc, I need it to balance out. I just lowered the zinc last January so we'll see; I may be able to lower the copper, too. Just waiting for those blood results.

Last edited:
Are you sure you take 400 Elemental? 400 Elemental (unless oxide) is over 2000mg zinc...See below:
  1. Zinc Acetate: 50 mg (15 mg elemental zinc)
  2. Zinc Gluconate: 50 mg (7 mg elemental zinc)
  3. Zinc Sulfate: 50 mg (12 mg elemental zinc)
  4. Zinc Oxide: 50 mg (40 mg elemental zinc)
I take 150mg Elemental of gluc and sulphate so you can see how much gross zinc that is from above. I also take 4mg Elemental of copper which is 16mg gross.

I take my copper with my iron and my zinc in 6 separate sessions at least 2 hours apart. I have to take it with other vitamins cause as you can see my current schedule takes at least 14 hours of the day!
I'm not sure I understand the math. Looks like 200 mg. (which includes numbers 1-4). Do you also add another 150 mg. of gluc and sulphate? That would be 350 mg. total?

This is the one I take. Link

Is the zinc helping with your issues? It did with me, tremendously. That's why I take so much. Sores that wouldn't heal, colds and especially the itching. Oh my, the itching. It was a disaster!

It is a ton. It's the most my DS nutrit. has seen; however, with the 400 mg. of zinc, I need it to balance out. I just lowered the zinc last January so we'll see; I may be able to lower the copper, too. Just waiting for those blood results.
Maybe I need more copper. I take 300mg zinc and actually stopped the copper because I was more worried about getting the zinc up. I just had labs yesterday so depending upon what results show I will adjust.

I now take 8 of what you are taking. The zincs not touching the sides, my level hasn't budged at all and my symptoms are worse (My current level is half the minimum). The itching is horrible but right now for me the ulcers and skin lesions are causing me a lot of grief, I look like Freddy Kruger! The worst part is I am a total insomniac now, I used to get to sleep with medication but that's not working, it's pretty debilitating being so stone cold knackered all the time. Dr helpfully confirmed its connected, oh no shit Sherlock, I have google!

Dr said my only option is IV infusion now, body's just absorbing nothing. Lady I met online is just a bit lower than me, she's having seizures now, that scares the crap outta me!

What was your level A?

Latest posts

Back