Whining Newbie-Swore I would not be one, but...

Terri

I was wondering what liquid did YOU like the first month? Also when did you go from sipping to being able to actually take drinks?

The last 3 days I have only been about getting in 54-60 oz of liquids in. Today I am just going to drink what has been going down, broth and warm tea so I can get all fluids in. If I have to do this for months I will but don't want to.

My main problem is I have never liked artificial sweeteners, the aftertaste and they leave a coating like in my mouth. This was one of the taste changes I was hoping for after surgery. Temps are a bit of a problem. Warm is well tolerated, refrigerated is ok, over ice is no good.

I am on the way to buy a filtered water pitcher today because I don't like water.

Also yesterday I tried to just grin and bear it, didn't work so swell, a lot of it ended coming back up!

For me, it was orange G2 and Crystal Light lemonade. For some reason, I need the acidity and can't do plain water.
Sounds like those aren't right for you. Stick with the warm if that's what works. Broth, hot tea, even hot water with a lemon in it.
Whatever works!

I liked water with a little lemon juice or weak tea, hot or cold. Soon, you will be a guzzling fool don't fret. I was and am always thirsty so, it helps me to get my liquids in. I live on iced tea now-a-days. I never liked my tea sweetened now, I like it with a little splenda. Go figure!

I tolerated G2 (the lower sugar version of Gatorade) and Isopure Grape Frost. That was IT. I could NOT do anything with any citrus in it, or artificially over sweetened crap. And at first, it HAD to be room temperature.

Starting a few months post-op, I got hooked on my Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng. I'm sure it's got Splenda in it, but I water it down greatly.

You might do well with sun tea (decaf) or decaf green tea. Some newbies like peppermint tea, it always gags me.

@Terri , you drink what you tolerate. Don't gag yourself, or grin and bear it. And if you need to, go get a bag of IV fluids.

I could not drink tap water, aquafina, dasani, deer park, or nestle bottled waters. I could, however, get (and keep) down smart water. Added benefit? It has electrolytes.
My advice: try different things. And it does get way way way better.
FWIW, I could not tolerate G2, but could drink orange powerade zero. Room temp only, not cold.
Protein - only isopure grape frost for the first while. I dumped a lot of protein drinks.

Chicken broth, consommé and orange tea topped my list early on... I also tolerated real sugar, so I enjoyed real, made-from-scratch lemonade and apple juice. Still do.

Thanks y'all for your tips. I went and got a filtered water pitcher. Was able to really make Mr Terri laugh when I went to get out of the car at Target and realized I had my house slippers on. I will pick up and try some of the things y'all mentioned.

Wanted to let you guys know I am watching for any signs of dehydration and will head to get some fluids if need be.

Terri- don't feel like you're whining, it's very common even though it seems like a thing that shouldn't be a problem. I used to drink ice water all day long and I don't really like plain water much anymore, just doesn't taste right to me. In the very beginning, watered down crystal light lemonade and lemon lime powerade zero were the only things I liked, I needed acidity or it wouldn't go down. Now I use lots of the squeeze in drops, crystal light lemonade, peach mango and citrus energy, brewed tea with stevia or monk fruit extract, or infused water- I really like watermelon, lime & mint as well as strawberry & rosemary. Keep trying different things, you'll find something that works!

infuse your water with the taste you like, while staying away from the artificial sweeteners. Various fruits, mint, cucumbers...they sell jugs with a section in the middle to hold the fruit/veggies suspended in the water. Over the first months your tastes will continue to change - and your preference for hot/warm/cold many change as well. You'll adapt as you move forward.

I liked the colder temperature and chilled watermelon quenched my thirst and hydrated as well. But watch for the carbs, Sugar-free popsicles were a lifesaver too.

LOL! I thought I was going to just sail through my recovery without a care. This is a MAJOR surgery and I mistakenly thought it would be like my piece-of-cake gallbladder removal. Seriously, if one has never had major surgery how would one know just how big a deal it is? I say whine away. Let's hope this will all be a memory soon.

tons of good advice here, plus you are on top of it.

I just want to add that post-op I sort of trained myself to tolerate the taste of artificial sweeteners (accidentally, I mean) and then I regretted it later.

for what that is worth!

For me it was water, water, water, and a sip of warm herb tea, water, water, water, warm broth, and water. I could not drink ice water, or cold water for months. I am so impressed that you are getting 54-60 ounces a day, in already. That's awesome.

Have you tried different sweeteners? I find splenda isn't too bad. I'm trying to switch to Stevia but I found it had an aftertaste so I'm doing half and half. There's many different varieties. Stevia, splenda, trivia, aspartame, equal etc etc.

Latest posts

Back