Feeling down

Megange1

So, I just got out of the hospital because at about 4 months post op, I started vomiting a lot more and couldn't seem to get liquids if anything to stay down. Including water. So, for the plast 3 days I've been in the hospital having a myriad of tests for Hingis like strictures, etc. Everything came back normal. Now I'm home and I'm super depressed because eating and drinking without throwing everything back up feels like a full time job and I need to go back to work next week. Did anyone else experience anything like this? I need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel..,

Sorry you are having such a rough time. I went through a stage of vomiting some foods about 1x per day around months 3-4 but not to the degree you are describing. I hope you get it sorted out soon. Did Dr. Rabkin have any words of wisdom for you?

I don't think my pukey period was quite as extreme as yours but I did have one about 5 months in. I ended up going back to liquid/purée for a few days and go back to tiny 1oz portions spread out throughout the day... it seemed to help a lot. I also puked in my office every day for 2-3 weeks while the rumors spread that I was pregnant. It passed but was not a fun process

Hope you get everything sorted soon. But start back on fluids very slowly. In the meantime, have they considered TPN to keep your nutrition levels up?

Hi. Yes I threw up everyday sometimes after every meal for over a year. I still can not eat a lot at one sitting. But it does get better. I'm now 4.5 years post op and rarely throw up anymore.

What worked for me was slowing way down. Eat a bite then wait a few minutes then take another small bite. Each meal for me would take over an hour. I would also eat every couple of hours. Lots of small snacks like string cheese, nuts, chunks of chicken or tuna or chicken salad. I also have a protein drink every morning for breakfast and sometimes another one later in the day.

Try to keep your protein levels up and you'll feel better.

Take care
Whit

I'm so sorry. I know how that can wear you down. There are many reasons for vomiting, from having a still-irritable stomach, to PPI use, to eating too much/fast, to a twisted sleeve (and probably more reasons). We're all different.

I couldn't keep down dense protein and doughy things like breads and pastas. Pain and puking every day. This eased dramatically when I dropped down from 40mg prescription PPI to 20mg over the counter PPI at about 6 months post op. I believe I didn't have enough acid left to process harder to digest foods. I still vomited but only occasionally but even that eased by a year out... or perhaps I just learned not to eat what made me vomit. A week ago I went back up to 40mg PPI (my GERD has gone into overtime after trying to quit PPIs) and started puking again! So I'm back on ground meats and yogurt, cheese and other pre-broken down proteins.

Experiment with what you eat and how much you eat. If it continues to plague you, get a barium swallow test to make sure your sleeve is OK.

I hope you get your issue resolved. Good luck.

So, I can't make it better - wish I could - but I'm sorry you are going through this. I had a rough 7 months after surgery. Nothing bad like others but threw up a lot and still do. I'm a year out. It gets better every month, I figure another year and it will be fine. With some people it takes time.

whuch surgery did you have? I had this happen with both my Rny and DS. I kept in touch with my dr with the DS. And took guidance from him to try ti stay hydrated. With my Rny i just suffered through until it stopped. Good luck

I did two weeks after my surgery. I was miserable and ended up being hospitalized on and off for 45 days. It does get better. Just take it a day at a time, an hour at a time, a minute at a time--just do the best you can do and pray, pray, pray. I feel for you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I've had several things that caused puking. I had a intermittent obstruction, that was hard for my drs to diagnose, so if things get worse or there is PAIN, go back in.

For months post op I was somewhat nauseated. I didn't take an antacid with may have helped, but things were also just inflamed or swollen for a long time. I came to rely on sugar free popsicles, for both the liquid, and the coolness calmed my stomach.

Latest posts

Back