What's the difference for a DSer between Hydroxyapatite and Calcium Citrate?

Thanks

Thanks...I don't have the vitalady list but I assume that is 8 per day or 2,400 mg? I take the Target Ca Citrate myself.

I just had my PTH run on this last draw and am awaiting that result. My Calcium came back at 9.0...it kind of bounces around that number by a tenth or two.
Have never used Jarrow because I have always found other cheaper sources.
@Munchkin Can you link the brand that you take and plus tell me how many a day you are taking for a total daily allotment of a?

It is so confusing. I see several different kinds on Amazon and one of them is a 6 pills for 1,000 of the Hydroxyapatite and the 3 per day that @Jbandmmomma is taking is 1,000 mg for 3 pills so I think she is taking 2,000 per day.

I am wanting to switch and am going to order some from Amazon, so I am trying to find the best deal.

Thanks!

So it didn't change your levels? Then why did you take it? Because of the European recommendation? or were there constipation issues?
I have great respect for Dr. Baltasar's knowledge and experience. He is one of the few who knows the nutrition and supplementation. His reason for recommending apatite makes sense. For the most part, it is ground up bones and it is already combined with exactly what we need to make bone. For a while people here(US) were afraid to take it because of Mad Cow Disease. But that's about as likely as being hit by a satellite.

@Munchkin Can you link the brand that you take and plus tell me how many a day you are taking for a total daily allotment of a?

It is so confusing. I see several different kinds on Amazon and one of them is a 6 pills for 1,000 of the Hydroxyapatite and the 3 per day that @Jbandmmomma is taking is 1,000 mg for 3 pills so I think she is taking 2,000 per day.

I am wanting to switch and am going to order some from Amazon, so I am trying to find the best deal.

Thanks!
Here's what I take. http://www.puritan.com/calcium-supp...53?scid=34258&cmp=goo-_-DynamicSearchVitamins

I take 4 per day plus a full dose of citrate.

There are two different sizes of Jarrow Bone Up. One is 6 pills for 1000 mgs and the other is 3 pills for 1000 mgs. JUST a difference in packaging size.

There are two different sizes of Jarrow Bone Up. One is 6 pills for 1000 mgs and the other is 3 pills for 1000 mgs. JUST a difference in packaging size.
How big are they relative to like Target or Walmart CA Citrate? Are they gel caps or the caplet pills?

Thanks!

How big are they relative to like Target or Walmart CA Citrate? Are they gel caps or the caplet pills?

Thanks!

The Jarrow are capsules, so if you have trouble swallowing you could always open them up and pour them in something. I think they're fairly flavorless. The capsules are about 20% smaller than standard Cal Citrates (300).

The Jarrow formula is a bit different than the Puritan Pride formula. The Jarrow, for example, contains K2 MK7 and does not contain iron like the Puritan Pride.

If you do the Subscribe and Save thing from Amazon it'll take another 15% off. Just put 5 of them in your basket:

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formul...qid=1459546563&sr=1-3&keywords=jarrow+bone+up

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
By the way, can ANYONE tell me if taking Jarrow or Apatite has had a positive effect on your PTH?

The Jarrow are capsules, so if you have trouble swallowing you could always open them up and pour them in something. I think they're fairly flavorless. The capsules are about 20% smaller than standard Cal Citrates (300).

The Jarrow formula is a bit different than the Puritan Pride formula. The Jarrow, for example, contains K2 MK7 and does not contain iron like the Puritan Pride.

If you do the Subscribe and Save thing from Amazon it'll take another 15% off. Just put 5 of them in your basket:

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formul...qid=1459546563&sr=1-3&keywords=jarrow+bone+up
Yeah, the Calcium Citrate horse pills I take four at a time but they get stuck on occasion and I have to gulp my coffee to get it down. The Vitamin E capsules I take are big but they go down easy. Other than my Calcium, I pretty much take all my other vitamins together twice a day. A big ole handful of about 15 pills.

I am going to order the Jarrow, and I get 90% of my stuff through Amazon Prime, but I don't typically do the subscription thing and won't until I know for sure that it works.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hydroxyapatite is not AS constipating as Citrate. I use both. And adding the Jarrow Bone Up might help.
So do you do a 1,000 mg of Jarrow and then approximately 1,000 of Cal Citrate? The Jarrow will definitely be more expensive because at 2,000 mg a day one bottle is going to last 15 days and cost $24 per month. Calcium Citrate is is basically $10.50 for a month...but if this stuff is easier to take and less harsh on the gut, then I am in.

I am also reading that bone meal and Hydroxyapatite are not the same thing.

I switched about ten days ago and am interested to see what my labs show..... In s couple weeks at my next monthly

My Ca held steady and my PTH increased again. My D is finally above 60 though, so I feel that I have hope to bring stuff back in line.

BUT, I have been ill with various other things since last March and my vite intake in general was not optimum for the months of January and February. Back on track now and still taking 2000 mg of the bone-up daily. Yesterday I added back in a dose of CaCitrate in addition, at bedtime.

I have added an additional D daily (now up to150 IU/day). I have boron and strontium to add with evening calcium, and just got Magnesium glycinate to add with each Ca dose too.

My zinc is a bit lower than it was, so need to find a way to take that separate from other stuff. It's always something.

My Ca held steady and my PTH increased again. My D is finally above 60 though, so I feel that I have hope to bring stuff back in line.

BUT, I have been ill with various other things since last March and my vite intake in general was not optimum for the months of January and February. Back on track now and still taking 2000 mg of the bone-up daily. Yesterday I added back in a dose of CaCitrate in addition, at bedtime.

I have added an additional D daily (now up to150 IU/day). I have boron and strontium to add with evening calcium, and just got Magnesium glycinate to add with each Ca dose too.

My zinc is a bit lower than it was, so need to find a way to take that separate from other stuff. It's always something.

Hi Becky,

Thanks for posting. So let me see if I got this straight:

1. 2,000/day of the Jarrow did NOT improve you calcium. Prior to the switch, how much Cal citrate were you taking?
2. Your PTH went up, so the Jarrow presumably did nothing to stop that.
3. Your D went up, but that may be attributable to the D increase, or did you just start the higher dose of D?

All in all it sounds like, except for the constipation part, the Jarrow did not improve things for you?

Hi Mark,

I'm honestly not ready yet to draw conclusions about using the Jarrow. I think my overall health is playing a big role here and it has not been great for almost a year now.

What I can say - I had been taking 100 IU/day D3 prior to this last lab draw. There was a period in February when I was dreadfully ill (strep throat and pneumonia) during which I couldn't take any vitamins for about 3 weeks - I think this threw me off kilter big time too.

In an effort to combat all of this, I am adding another D3 daily to really try and hammer that, while making sure to spread out those doses by at least a few hours each. Prior to switching to Jarrow, I was taking 2000 mg Ca Citrate daily. I have upped my Ca total intake to 3000 mg/day, and am adding all the other stuff mentioned prior.

For me, the constipation side effects are better with the boneup, but I still have to take LOTS of miralax (3 doses) and colace (2 with each vite dose and an extra at bedtime) in order to keep things moving in an easy fashion. This is in addition to my 110+ grams of daily fat intake. Overall, I'm taking less total miralax and colace, but I still have to take it. I refuse to get brick butt and have another fissure if I can prevent it. I have considered switching to the twice daily metamucil regimen, as it is said to decrease bile acid in poo and, thereby, decrease possible irritation of the colon and anus. At the moment, I can't figure out how to take this and still be able to get all my Rx and vites into the day, at 2 hours away from the fiber.

I'm not going to stop the Jarrow for now, but will be more aggressive and insist on a 3 month blood draw this time.

hope that helps some.

Latest posts

Back