What's the difference for a DSer between Hydroxyapatite and Calcium Citrate?

Marquis Mark

Does one absorb better in us? Is one better for constipation?

My calcium is 9.4, PTH 74 and D 32, so I'm trying to make some adjustments. I've doubled my daily dose of D (now 150,000 day), added 150 of K2, and added an extra 600 Calcium Citrate dose. I take 200 Magnesium Citrate with each calcium dose now.

With all of that, wondering if Jarrow might help, too... Any thoughts?

I switched to Jarrow Bone Up this year. CaCitrate was extremely constipating to me so I needed help. Will have next labs drawn in 2 weeks, so shall see how it is working...

I switched to Jarrow Bone Up this year. CaCitrate was extremely constipating to me so I needed help. Will have next labs drawn in 2 weeks, so shall see how it is working...

Thanks, Becky. I hope you will post your results here. I'd really be interested in them!

I will be interested to see how it works out for you. Calcium Citrate binds me as well. I am especially noticing it because I ran out of my COSTCO Calcium Citrate and went back to the bottle of Target Calcium Citrate that I had at home. The target stuff seems to be causing me to be constipated like (formed and going but not a flowing as before and it feels like I am binding up).

@Jbandmmomma how many of these are you taking daily and how many citrate were you taking? I take 8 of CA citrate daily and they make me somewhat constipated as well.... I mean I go several times a day but it is harder stool and not as easy to go.

Thanks

Hi Scott, I'm taking 6 of the Jarrow (3 per day formula) daily. I was taking the vitalady recommended amount of target brand Ca Citrate.

FYI - My PTH was running high so Ive been trying to get it lower, this change was a also a part of that adjustment.

@Jbandmmomma how many of these are you taking daily and how many citrate were you taking? I take 8 of CA citrate daily and they make me somewhat constipated as well.... I mean I go several times a day but it is harder stool and not as easy to go.

Thanks
Thanks
Hi Scott, I'm taking 6 of the Jarrow (3 per day formula) daily. I was taking the vitalady recommended amount of target brand Ca Citrate.

FYI - My PTH was running high so Ive been trying to get it lower, this change was a also a part of that adjustment.
Thanks...I don't have the vitalady list but I assume that is 8 per day or 2,400 mg? I take the Target Ca Citrate myself.

I just had my PTH run on this last draw and am awaiting that result. My Calcium came back at 9.0...it kind of bounces around that number by a tenth or two.

European docs have been recommending apatite for years. I have been taking a citrate/apatite combo forever.

Sometimes you can find it really cheap by looking for bone meal.

European docs have been recommending apatite for years. I have been taking a citrate/apatite combo forever.

Sometimes you can find it really cheap by looking for bone meal.

Did you notice an improvement in your PTH and/or calcium when you started taking the Jarrow?

So it didn't change your levels? Then why did you take it? Because of the European recommendation? or were there constipation issues?

So it didn't change your levels? Then why did you take it? Because of the European recommendation? or were there constipation issues?
I am pretty sure I am going to start taking it regardless of it improves my PTH because I am tired of CA Citrate. Horse pills and the way it tends to make me feel constipated. I am IBS'y enough without a supplement messing with my guts even more. I am just waiting on my pth result to come back so I have a baseline to track against.

Latest posts

Back