What's the difference for a DSer between Hydroxyapatite and Calcium Citrate?

Becky I am not sure what your D level came in at but I can tell you that the intramuscular injection I had did wonders for me, so I would think about it if I were you. It is one less thing to worry about and it has lasted me a good six months. I will get another one soon.

Hi Mark,

I'm honestly not ready yet to draw conclusions about using the Jarrow. I think my overall health is playing a big role here and it has not been great for almost a year now.

What I can say - I had been taking 100 IU/day D3 prior to this last lab draw. There was a period in February when I was dreadfully ill (strep throat and pneumonia) during which I couldn't take any vitamins for about 3 weeks - I think this threw me off kilter big time too.

In an effort to combat all of this, I am adding another D3 daily to really try and hammer that, while making sure to spread out those doses by at least a few hours each. Prior to switching to Jarrow, I was taking 2000 mg Ca Citrate daily. I have upped my Ca total intake to 3000 mg/day, and am adding all the other stuff mentioned prior.

For me, the constipation side effects are better with the boneup, but I still have to take LOTS of miralax (3 doses) and colace (2 with each vite dose and an extra at bedtime) in order to keep things moving in an easy fashion. This is in addition to my 110+ grams of daily fat intake. Overall, I'm taking less total miralax and colace, but I still have to take it. I refuse to get brick butt and have another fissure if I can prevent it. I have considered switching to the twice daily metamucil regimen, as it is said to decrease bile acid in poo and, thereby, decrease possible irritation of the colon and anus. At the moment, I can't figure out how to take this and still be able to get all my Rx and vites into the day, at 2 hours away from the fiber.

I'm not going to stop the Jarrow for now, but will be more aggressive and insist on a 3 month blood draw this time.

hope that helps some.

It does. Thanks, Becky. Yeah, if you weren't taking vites for three weeks that could definitely throw you off. It's also a good sign that your D increased despite the break in vites. As someone who went through an anal fissure myself I can definitely say I feel your pain. Godspeed!

THanks @DSRIGGS Scott. I have a pending referral to an endocrinologist so that's already on the list of things to ask for. :)
It does. Thanks, Becky. Yeah, if you weren't taking vites for three weeks that could definitely throw you off. It's also a good sign that your D increased despite the break in vites. As someone who went through an anal fissure myself I can definitely say I feel your pain. Godspeed!
I lived with a chronic Anal fissure for almost a year

Becky I am not sure what your D level came in at but I can tell you that the intramuscular injection I had did wonders for me, so I would think about it if I were you. It is one less thing to worry about and it has lasted me a good six months. I will get another one soon.

This is really interesting news to me regarding a vitamin D intramuscular injection in a high dosage (a quick Google search seems to yield information based on a 600,000IU injection). Given my PTH and vitamin D levels I am shocked this was not even considered by the doctors monitoring me! Definitely something I am going to inquire about with my family physician and see if he happens to know if there is any availability to it within Ontario.

This is really interesting news to me regarding a vitamin D intramuscular injection in a high dosage (a quick Google search seems to yield information based on a 600,000IU injection). Given my PTH and vitamin D levels I am shocked this was not even considered by the doctors monitoring me! Definitely something I am going to inquire about with my family physician and see if he happens to know if there is any availability to it within Ontario.
Honestly they probably weren't aware of it. It is not a very common thing, at all. Dr k is one of the few Docs I know of, doing these injections routinely . In order to get a vitamin A injection back in Illinois I had to get a script from my Dr who had to call Dr K in California to find out what to order then I had to take the script to a specialty pharmacy who ordered the serum that I had to buy and take to my Dr to get injected.

Last edited:
Honestly they probably weren't aware of it. It is not a very common thing, at all. Dr k is one of the few Docs I know of, doing these injections routinely . In order to get a vitamin A injection back in Illinois I had to get a script from my Dr who had to call Dr K in California to find out what to order then I had to take the script to a specialty pharmacy who ordered the serum that I had to buy and take to my Dr to get injected.

Something for me to inquire about still, but this doesn't bode well as I'll assume my family doctor won't know anything about it. I'd also suspect it isn't cheap so it may not even be a possibility for me to consider as a quicker fix. Doesn't hurt to ask questions, but sometimes the answers aren't the kind we are looking for, heh.

Something for me to inquire about still, but this doesn't bode well as I'll assume my family doctor won't know anything about it. I'd also suspect it isn't cheap so it may not even be a possibility for me to consider as a quicker fix. Doesn't hurt to ask questions, but sometimes the answers aren't the kind we are looking for, heh.
You absolutely want to ask for it if your numbers are low. I can furnish you information to give to your team as to where Dr K gets the serum (that is the biggest problem is that it isn't a high demand item so not a lot of supply, but it can be found). The Vitamin A that we ordered, according to Walgreen's specialty Pharmacist, was going to be $1,300 without insurance. Ridiculous! That being said, I am sure you should be able to get this covered by your healthcare system if you are out of range.

Push them hard for it and use your low numbers as justifying data. My vitamin D jumped from around 30 to over 100 almost instantaneously.

You absolutely want to ask for it if your numbers are low. I can furnish you information to give to your team as to where Dr K gets the serum (that is the biggest problem is that it isn't a high demand item so not a lot of supply, but it can be found). The Vitamin A that we ordered, according to Walgreen's specialty Pharmacist, was going to be $1,300 without insurance. Ridiculous! That being said, I am sure you should be able to get this covered by your healthcare system if you are out of range.

Push them hard for it and use your low numbers as justifying data. My vitamin D jumped from around 30 to over 100 almost instantaneously.

Yeah I've heard the crazy stories of just how ridiculous pharmaceutical pricing is without insurance in the US. I want to say it isn't like that in Canada, but I also know out healthcare system is shifting slightly to replicate the US system in some aspects. When you have ritzy practices opening that only cater to people with high end insurance or who have deep pockets to self pay - it just doesn't bode well in my mind.

Any information would be appreciated. I see my family doctor on May 4th and I'm hoping to get as much accomplished at this appointment as possible to get my health back on the right track. I would hope a vitamin D serum injection would be in the affordable range up here if it is not covered. In my mind I am grouping this in the same classification as say a B12 injection, which is not covered by non-private insurance to my knowledge, but that is also a higher demand product and thus is cheap.

ETA: My vitamin D labs from January 20th, 2016 show as <20. Up here sufficiency is considered 76-250 nmol/L. I am not sure how to convert this to the formula used in the US. Either way it is pretty damn bad. I'd like to try and get to 200 and stay in that range.

Latest posts

Back