What Supplements will I need after surgery?

Jenniflower75

Hi I'm wondering how the vitamins and supplements will cost me a month and what i will be needing? I know that's a silly question because the surgery does the job and that shouldn't be a factor but i want to make sure I can afford the surgery after care before I have the surgery. I am a vsg and all of the vitamins and stuff that I needed post op I only needed for the first year then the doc said I didn't need to take them any more. I was on vitamin D, folic acid, and B12. I haven't needed a protein shake in more than a year. Not that I mind those. I saw one of the other posts where the person was saying 35,000 dollars a year on this stuff.. I dont' even make that much a year. Is this realistic? Please let me know asap... oh by the way I'm new here, has vsg in 2013 when originally I wanted DS. Only lost about 40 of my 120 lbs to lose. I'm still sick with high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and possibly prediabetic. I stopped loosing weight at about 5 months out and no matter what i did or didn't do I couldn't lose so I gave up. I still have restriction just can't lose. What are some other things you can tell me about the surgery? I have researched the heck out of it but it was all technical. i want to hear from people who have actually had it and OH ppl don't seem to be honest they seem to sugar coat it. Maybe I'm wrong I'm not sure but want to hear from you guys if I could. Thanks.

Hi @Jenniflower75 ! $35,000 a year is absurd! I spend roughly $100 per month on vitamins (yours might be more, might be less) and a huge $50 tub of protein powder will last me 6 months. I do spend a good bit of money on food, not using cheap filler stuff like rice and pasta can add up, but it's not terrible. I probably spend more when I binge on junk than when I stick to the plan!

Welcome @Jenniflower75

My husband and I do spend about $150 a month on vitamins/supplements BUT there is TWO of us not one. We do get RTD shakes but get them by the case esp when there is a sale.

The biggest expense is GOOD quality food, esp protein but even that can be done by buying bulk, on sale, etc. We don't spend a lot on the fillers most use to stretch a meat...you know, the pasta, rice, potatoes.

Your expense on vitamins should be based on YOUR blood work.

We have a few VSG to DS revisions. As revisions go, it's probably the easiest cause you already have half the DS. So a good DS surgeon can revise you, doesn't have to be a known DS revision surgeon. That list is more the RNY to DS group.

So what do you want to know about living with the DS?

What do you eat after surgery? How many pills do you take? I am on two psych meds, a blood pressure med and prilosec how many pills and how often will I be taking pills? How long before you can take the pills? Are you able to drink a lot right away? I know with my VSG I was shocked at how much I could drink straight out of the gate. I was able to drink 4-6 oz at a time and pretty quick. How many protein drinks do you do a day and is that your only protein source? I also wanted to know about eating clean. I dont want to be vegeterian but I do want to stick to only the stuff that doesnt' have a lable with the exception of yogurt and cheeses.

What do you eat after surgery? How many pills do you take? I am on two psych meds, a blood pressure med and prilosec how many pills and how often will I be taking pills? How long before you can take the pills? Are you able to drink a lot right away? I know with my VSG I was shocked at how much I could drink straight out of the gate. I was able to drink 4-6 oz at a time and pretty quick. How many protein drinks do you do a day and is that your only protein source? I also wanted to know about eating clean. I dont want to be vegeterian but I do want to stick to only the stuff that doesnt' have a lable with the exception of yogurt and cheeses.
After surgery...the first month, I stuck to fluids and very soft food.
Now, whatever I want to eat as long as these conditions apply:
1) protein first
2) hasn't been a problem before (like milk for me, I am still lactose intolerant)

Pre-op, I was on 11 prescription medications and an insulin pump (type 2 diabetic).
Now I take 2 prescription meds that have nothing to do with weight loss BUT can affect it (my thyroid, I am on two of them). I also take a PPI but it's is an OTC version...prevacid as prilosec did not help me ever! I also take a lactaid pill as I am still lactose intolerant.

MY list of vitamins is shorter than many as I also am a lightweight and have a longer common channel (175). BUT I GO BY MY LAB WORK. My list is at the bottom of the first post. My sleeve is tiny still...it was made 4 oz and even now at 4 years out, 6 oz of meat is almost too much.

Your psych meds will need close watching...some can't do extended release, others can but you need to watch that carefully. Blood pressure med will likely disappear. You may still need the PPI afterward, many of us do...small price to pay for the rest of our health to improve.

I was taking pills, one at a time out of the gate...my thyroid meds. My vitamins waited almost a month as getting in pills before then meant I had no room for anything else. I sipped fluids...don't tend to gulp but then large swallows of fluid never was my method. Not even before the DS.

My main source of protein now is food but I keep protein shakes on hand if I am having a tiny tummy day.

I seldom use pre-made food. I LOVE to cook and find it a better way to control what I eat. Clean eating, as long as you focus on protein is very doable.

I'm confused by this:
I also wanted to know about eating clean. I dont want to be vegeterian but I do want to stick to only the stuff that doesnt' have a lable with the exception of yogurt and cheeses.
What do you mean by "only the stuff that doesn't have a label"? I have to eat a lot of meat to get my protein requirements fulfilled each day, plus cheese, eggs and sometimes shakes. Vegetables, early out, I had no room for. Now, quite often, I may have room, but they hurt my insides. I can't eat a full serving of lots of veggies unless I'm willing to deal with gas and maybe running to the potty. In the evenings, that's fine with me, and I'll have a small serving with most dinners, but during the day I can't. That's not everyone, but it is some of us.
Also, if you already had the VSG and you're not being re-sleeved, then I don't think you should have any issue with swallowing pills.

Latest posts

Back