Very Bad about taking vitiamns

Barb1

As some of you know since for about 10 months I was having a lot of problems getting food through my sleeve. Dr.K tried to fix this on 9/26 and said the scar tissue formed around the sleeve like a bow tie and my bowel and colon where kinked together. I did pretty good for about six weeks but still have problems keeping food down or taking a long time to digest. After while it gets to be painful so I gag myself to get relief.
I have my big girl panties pulled up because this is a deja vu post from aabout 9 months ago. My vitiamins have taken a back seat. All of them give me terrible heartburn. I can't tolerate protien shakes. I get allergic re-action with any all artifcial sweet
ner even Stevia. I am on one 40mg Panntozole a day. It does't last and by bedtime I am waking up to horrid indigestion. I try to eat a few crackers to bed with me and a couple crushed anti acid /anti gas and have it on my nightstand. I am due for my yearly 18 viles of blood to be drawn and I am sure they won't be the best results. I see the nurse prationer to get it all orderd and ask about the leg.
Some symptons:
Dizzy after getting up (not always)
Nausea and weakness at times.
Numb tingling feet all the time (left is worse)
Left foot ankle leg is the worse and it is swelling. When you touch the swelling it does come back out . It doesn't stay in.
I am almost positive I need potasium.
I am sure I need my B's but is the B=complex that I taste the whole day through.
I have NOW protien mix but I gag them down rarely. I need a good recipe that requires regular sugar.(it is the only one I have found that has no type of sugar fake/real.
I am having some memory problrems too.
I was told not to take K1-K2 because if blood clots a year and a half ago.
That's all I've got tonight

I'm not going to soft-pedal this - your post is scaring the shit out of me. You are exhibiting overt symptoms of vitamin and protein deficiencies, some of which can be PERMANENT, as well as disordered eating. WHY THE FUCK have you not gotten back with Keshishian to do something about this? Why have you not tried either a different PPI or started taking a second one (I take 2 Protonix/day)? How can you justify not doing protein shakes to ensure your protein is sufficient?

Barb, you're going to die if you don't pull your head out of your ass. You know better than this. I don't have time to yell at someone who knows better. Why the hell are you committing suicide on the installment plan? Fuck me running.

Barb, I don't know you but I'm going to assume that by now your thinking isn't what should be - start doing what Diana and EN tell you, ask if you have questions, do not wait even one more day.
you need to turn this around!!!!!

As some of you know since for about 10 months I was having a lot of problems getting food through my sleeve. Dr.K tried to fix this on 9/26 and said the scar tissue formed around the sleeve like a bow tie and my bowel and colon where kinked together. I did pretty good for about six weeks but still have problems keeping food down or taking a long time to digest. After while it gets to be painful so I gag myself to get relief.
I have my big girl panties pulled up because this is a deja vu post from aabout 9 months ago. My vitiamins have taken a back seat. All of them give me terrible heartburn. I can't tolerate protien shakes. I get allergic re-action with any all artifcial sweet
ner even Stevia. I am on one 40mg Panntozole a day. It does't last and by bedtime I am waking up to horrid indigestion. I try to eat a few crackers to bed with me and a couple crushed anti acid /anti gas and have it on my nightstand. I am due for my yearly 18 viles of blood to be drawn and I am sure they won't be the best results. I see the nurse prationer to get it all orderd and ask about the leg.
Some symptons:
Left foot ankle leg is the worse and it is swelling. When you touch the swelling it does come back out . It doesn't stay in.
I am sure I need my B's but is the B=complex that I taste the whole day through.
I have NOW protien mix but I gag them down rarely. I need a good recipe that requires regular sugar.(it is the only one I have found that has no type of sugar fake/real.

Holy shit! I second what was already said.

I don't care how bad the protein gags you, do it! Use regular sugar if you have to, just get it down. I don't care that you taste your B vites all day, take them!

Get a different PPI if yours is not working. Throw in some Zantac or another acid reducer to help the PPI.

The NOW whey protein isolate has no artificial sweetners as you know. You have to have protein. You have had a rough row to hoe and now you are making it worse.

How soon are you getting your labs done? You need them yesterday. Get ahold of Dr. K. You need TPN and shots of whatever vitamins are available in an injectable form.

You have to get on top of this or you will DIE a horrible death.

Seriously?? I can only assume you are not thinking clearly......have you tried the Jay Robb egg protein powder? Lots of ppl who cannot tolerate other protein powder do well with this one. You need to get labs and start taking responsibility for yourself. And you are only a couple years out...long road ahead of you. Good luck.
Marilyn in ohio
Ds in 1994
Dr. Hess
235/140

This post scares me. I hope you start to realise this is life and death. If I was in this situation I would be drinking liquid vitamins by the gallon until my stomach sorted itself or my surgeon helped. There is only one way this is going to turn out, you know it, we all know it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, you did not have this op to enjoy weight loss for a little while and then to die....this should be a life extending op. :( Please get your head around this!!!

Barb, FFS!

Remember some of those batshit crazy people at the OtHer place? The real nut jobs? Many of them were post-ops whose surgeons cut and ran. No follow up. B-deficiencies were highly likely.

I don't expect you to process this well, because your brain isn't working at optimum levels, but B-deficiencies post-bariatric surgery will make you completely crazy. At which point you will make dumb decisions. And the other deficiencies, caused by those bad decisions, will make you dead.

You HAVE TO do what the other vets said.

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/584558_1

Sue

ETA: I recall one who INSISTED her gummi-vites were sufficient, but in her photos, her teeth kept getting uglier. Then, all of a sudden, she had a BEAUTIFUL smile...with her new teeth. I guess she needed them to chew the gummi-vites.

Last edited:
@Barb1 listen to all the smart cookies and get well ASAP!! ((Hugs))

Some symptons:

This..

Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2006 Jun;50(3):564-8.
[Beriberi after bariatric surgery: not an unusual complication. Report of two cases and literature review].
[Article in Portuguese]
Alves LF, Gonçalves RM, Cordeiro GV, Lauria MW, Ramos AV.
Author information

Abstract
The number of patients submitted to bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity is increasing, therefore, some nutritional deficiencies, with which many physicians are no longer familiarized, are reappearing. Postoperatively, many nutritional disorders may occur, one of them is thiamine deficiency (beriberi). The thiamine and/or vitamin B12 deficiency can correspond to 40% of the neuropathy cases after bariatric surgery. Two patients with the clinic of peripheral neuropathy and Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome will be reported. Some months after the surgery, they presented prostration, depression, mental confusion and nystagmus, associated with pain and paresthesia in limbs (especially lower limbs). With the diagnostic hypothesis of beriberi, the treatment with thiamine started. One of the patients presented complete improvement of the neurological symptoms, however the other one remained with motor deficiency, exactly the one who spent a longer period of time between the symptoms appearance and the treatment beginning. These cases serve to alert us about the importance of nutritional vigilance after bariatric surgery.

I know I scared the shit out of everyone here and for that I will say I am sorry. Yes to everyone above I do know better and I am not a spring chick so I have lived long enough to know better about this. I just needed that swift kick I guess! In so many ways I feel so much better since seeing Dr. K. I am able to eat better some days and protein always comes first. It is the vitamins that seem to disagree with my tummy. I get cramps with just about all of them some downright make me feel nausea. I don't know what Dr. K could do for me. I cannot afford another trip to CA. My DH is retired now and we have a limited income. Dr. K said to see my GI doc but to wait as long as possible before being dilated. It has only been four months since I had my surgery with him. I do have my appointment with my PCP nurse practioner today. She is pretty good and I believe knows more about the DS than the PCP does. I will go tomorrow in the am for my blood draw. I will post results when I get them. Yes I have tried J Robb egg protein and I found it to be a very thick. There is another person (Lori S) on another board that had some really good protein shake recipes that I thought I bookmarked but can't find. The other thing I forgot to mention is I am loosing hair again but was not sure if vitamin related or surgery related. The thing that got me to post was the left foot/ankle/leg swelling, the dizzeness, and the reflux I get from vitamins.

My son wants me to put a disclaimer on this saying what goes in one ear goes out the other (because DH and DS have been giving me a lot of crap) but that is not true. I have just got to find a way to stop the nausea and stomach cramps that happen everytime I take the shake /vitamins. I am already taking 8mg Ondansetron in the am. I don't want anyone to think I am very sick because I am not. I do know if I don't get a handle on this I will be. I am sure some of my results will be in the crapper for sure. My post was for a kick in the ass and wondering which vitamins might be the most important to gag down first. I am now getting off my ass to try a shake with some vitamins mixed in.

As a side note I think the damn ham and beans knocked out some good flora because I am now back to the worst smelling direha I have had in months! It has been months since I have had to take Flagyl but I think it might be in the immediate future. Damn I am long winded! Dr. K hates getting e-mail's from me because I can't ever just type a question without detail!
Thank You Diana, En, Jackie, SHales, angelohio, and switcharoo for your comments and concern. I promise I got this!
Barb

Thanks Sue
That is exactly what the nurse practioner said to take when I was having my incision packed in November. The B-12 goes down fine with no problem but the B-Complex I burp all day and it makes me sick. I am going to try another brand. I have some good All in One powder vits from the Vitamin Shop that are going in my shake. I know it is not sufficent but better than nothing.
Thank Barb

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/all-...AobwCFatcMgoddHQAtw&gclsrc=aw.ds#.Uuf34SrnbDc

There was a recent death of a well known person in the WLS community who had Wernicke's encephalopathy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke's_encephalopathy

Wernicke's encephalopathy or now often Wernicke's disease refers to the presence of neurological symptoms caused by biochemical lesions of the central nervous system after exhaustion of B-vitamin reserves, in particular thiamine. The condition is part of a larger group of diseases related to vitamin B1 insufficiency, including beriberi in all its forms, and Korsakoff syndrome. When Wernicke's encephalopathy occurs simultaneously with Korsakoff syndrome it is known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.[1][2]

Classically, Wenicke's encephalopathy is characterised by the triad ophthalmoplegia, ataxia, and confusion. However, only 10% of patients exhibit all three features, and other symptoms may also be present.[3] While it is commonly regarded as a condition peculiar to malnourished people with alcohol misuse, a variety of diseases can lead to Wernicke's encephalopathy.[1][4] Wernicke's encephalopathy (WE) is treated with thiamine supplementation, which can lead to improvement of the symptoms and often complete resolution, particularly in those where alcohol misuse is not the underlying cause. Often other nutrients also need to be replaced, depending on the cause.

Wernicke encephalopathy may be present in the general population with a prevalence of around 2%, and is considered under diagnosed, probably many cases are patients do not have symptoms presumed to be associated with WE.[5]

Have you tried sublinguals? I worry about the feet tingling because I believe B12 deficiency can cause that. You can also get D and A in sublingual. Maybe not in the mega doses we need, but it would be something. You can try adding plain egg protein powder in things that you can eat to help boost your protein.

Frankly, I think you should ask your doctor about getting some IV vitamins to give you a boost.

Latest posts

Back