Very Bad about taking vitiamns

Barb, I haven't been around long enough to know you very well, and being just a lowly pre-op can offer no advice to help you. But I do want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers to feel better, get a handle on your vitamin levels, and get back to optimal health.

It's so easy to put ourselves on the back burner and take care of our kids, our spouse, and say that we'll take care of this or that issue with ourselves later. It's time for you...now...to take time out, let your husband and son pick up the daily slack, and you need to get what you need to survive. If your pcp isn't listening to you - time to shop for another. Perhaps Dr K can put a call in to the pcp about the tpn? Sounds like the putting off of the dialation is coming due, too. Life IS worth living, fight for yourself, girl! Don't assume there isn't anything you can do when you haven't even asked Dr. Keshishian. Don't rationalize away the inability to eat from the stricture as waiting for some "down the road" procedure...if you can't get anything down and you're bulimic, the road has just come up to meet you!

I pray that you are getting the help you need and are able to pursue getting that stricture cleared up! You take care, Barb, I'm here reading and waiting for your posts take a turn for the the better. :)

You are very right Sue and they know I am very unhappy. When I got the orders this am they aren't even checking my PTH or protein. They said if the ones I am having done are bad they will order the rest. I again told them that the people on this board are very concerned for meas I am and my family. They ordered the following and it was only 7 vile of blood. Last year I had 16 or 17 drawn.
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel cbc (H/H, RBC. indices WBC PLT) , PLT ferritin(at my insistence) VitB1 Whole Blood, iron and total iron binding, lipid panel, B6, B12, B2 Riboflann, vitA.
No not happy at all. Again I brought up the TPN and they are waiting for the results of these before they order anymore blood work and the TPN will be decided depending on the results. I also have to have a mammogram and osteoporosis screening test. I really am not nuts although I surely understand why you would think that. I have been very stupid and none compliant since the surgery with Dr. K. It was like having the DS all over again. Sip walk rest. Before that I was doing protein shakes and the powdered vitamins plus some calcium B's and D. The complex B and vit A and iron are what would get me nausea. I now have all my vitamins according to Vita Lady's plan sorted and ready to take. I am just hoping I am not to late to turn it around. I am sure En is right about the TPN but I can't order it for myself. On a good note my blood pressure was down to 136/92. Not great but acceptable for now.

Whit- Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have had your share of issues. I did start the vits as soon as I got back from having lab work done.

En- All I can say is I hope your wrong! That I don't die and I haven't done any permanent damage. Some people think you're a mean old bitch but I know you really care and would just like to kick the shit out of me right now!

SHales- Thank you for caring and the PPI Dexilant and the generic Zantac seems to be working better. I took the Vit A this am and the iron and know heartburn so that is a positive sign and yes I have a BP digital cuff. It is down a little.

Switcharoo- Thanks for the prayers. I need them. You sound just like me. I am not a real religious person. I wasn't raised that way but I want to believe there is something better when I die so for that reason I have found myself praying more the older I get.

Barb

Soluation #1--You have a PPO, right? Keshishian's office is VERY GOOD about follow-up lab orders. Just call and ask for an order for a full set of labs because you have not been compliant and you need to get back on track. He does long-term follow up with his patients. If everything is normal, keep your mouth shut w/new PCP. But, when you find things are out of range, make a copy, send it to your new PCP with a note that says something like,

"Dr. Schmuck,

Enclosed please find my most recent lab results, including the labs you chose not to order in spite of your understanding that I have surgically induced malabsorption and your knowledge that I have made repeated requests for complete lab work.

As we both know, the best way for me to avoid a plethora of maladies and worse--from anemia and toothlessness to Wirnecke-Korsakoff and death--is the SIMPLE administration of routine blood tests on a regular basis, followed by the supplementation indicated by the test results. At this point--and given the results presented here--I feel that my tests should be repeated at least quarterly until results reveal maintained improvement for a year, and then repeated twice a year.

My goal here is to not become infirm or diseased. And surely there is someone nearby, to whom you can refer me, who won't mind helping me reach that goal. If, however, neither you nor any physicians you know of in the local area are not willing to provide this rather routine service, I will be forced to either risk my life or use other resources in an attempt to regain and maintain my health.

Sincerely,

The New Bitch"

Solution #2--involves spending more money, so let's not go there yet.

Taterweight-- Here is the thing about getting food down. Since of course you we are trying for protein it doesn't go down easy. Sometimes I can eat and have no problems at all. Other times it will set in my tummy for hours. When this happens and you continue to produce saliva and swallow it after a while the sleeve is so full it is painful and you start getting the gagging feeling. It is going to come up and I choose not to let it get to that point. I did not mean for it to sound as if nothing goes down. I can't say it is a stricture. Somedays I do just fine if I stick with soft foods. Somedays I can eat a couple of shrimp and they will digest with no problem. I just took my morning batch of Vits a little while ago. Then I ate some ham and swiss cheese (processed very tiny in food processor) which almost always goes down pretty good but I guess I should have waited longer before eating because it feels like a lump in my sleeve. It might go on through so I always give it at least an hour or a little longer. If that lump starts feeling better it will probably digest. I will get up and get busy doing something and sometimes this help. Sometime I will suck on a peppermint candy and for some reason that will help. It is a total crap shoot. I am not alone in this I have read a lot of posts about small tummy days and how some things do pass easier.
As for as cleaning, cooking, and the wash I want to do this stuff. I was so down for the last few years that it feels great to have the energy to get up and do something. Life has been getting normal since Dr. K. fixed me up. He did tell me I wasn't crazy (because of my symptoms I thought might be) that I definitely had some serious problems in the way scar tissue formed around the sleeve. He also said that it might just do it again and told me I might need to be scoped and dilated a couple of times with in say a three week period. Of course he would like me to come back and let him do it but that won't happen. I have a great GI doc that I have been going to for about 14 years now. He does want to wait as long as possible before this takes place. I will be have it done soon though.
I should get some blood teat results tomorrow. We will see. Thank you for the concern. I hope you have a very uneventful and boring recovery!
Barb

Spiky-Sue
I have truly missed you!! We are about the same age so I always can relate to you. Please don't go away again! I love your letter and will keep it in mind. Hopefully I won't need it. I will wait to involve Dr. K. I want to see how bad these first labs are. I should get some results tomorrow. If pcp won't order the rest of the labs and get her head out of her ass (yes En in if you are reading this I got my head out of my ass) I will call Dr.K tomorrow. By the way Sue my husband and I have been married for 45 years. I have three sister-in-laws that have never been able to steel my title of Queen Bitch. They have tried and failed! lol

On a better note my indgestion/heartburn is so much better with new meds. I am surprised because they have been changed before with no help. I have managed to get in one protein shake a day 50 grams and almost all of the vitamins with no problem. I went and bought some different A and B complex that are pill form instead of capsule. I guess with the combo of new tummy meds and pills instead of nasty capsule I am not tasting that horrible vitamin taste at all. Again Thanks for the input!
Barb

Lauren
My pcp doesn't think they are all necessary. I gave the NP the list last year and she ordered them. When I went back to the NP a few days ago this is when I found out she had her ass chewed out last year. I was unaware of any of this and my PCP had already left for the day so I couldn't try to talk to her. NP couldn't find codes for a few tests so she asked me to pick orders up the next morning on my way to Quest. When I went by to pick up lab orders I realized it wasn't just the K's and copper that where left off and NP wouldn't add protein and pth without pcp being there and she wasn't there yet. If they don't call tomorrow I will probably go by the office and see if I can pin her down. I do really like my pcp so I think if I educate her and print out a few studies to read she will come around. Problem being I don't have time to be screwing with this right now. I need to get this done like yesterday. They don't see the urgency but they will if these first tests come back as bad as we all think. So if she won't order some more tests tomorrow then I will call Dr.K later in the day. I am thinking about shooting a email off to him to see if he will call my pcp. Like I said I like my PCP and I would hate to have to go shopping around now when I need her most. If I had known this before I could have had this taken care of.
Barb

Latest posts

Back