Upper GI question

Katie T.

My doctor....Dr. Simper has requested me to get an Upper GI done. My appointment is tomorrow and I'm just wondering how bad this test is? I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have experience with this? UGH :(

Is it just barium swallow? It's not as bad as I expected. There's a pink liquid which is supposed to taste like strawberry but only vaguely so. It's a little thick and a bit chalky but not nauseating. They prepared a Big Gulp sized container with a straw and I said "You do know I have a small stomach sleeve??" But you don't chug it down. They have you sip it when they say to do so and they watch it going down. I doubt I drank more than a half cup in total. There were pics taken standing and then a few lying down (I think). Relatively easy.

Yes I think so....they are just doing the stomach not the intestinal follow through...ok so that eases my mind a little. I'm hoping I can keep the barium down and won't puke it back up. That's what makes me nervous. Thank you so much for the response.

In the past few years they've dramatically improved what you swallow, at least where I go for scans. Now it's a watery liquid into which Crystal lite can be mixed - no longer the banana-chalk-thick-barium-shake-of-yore. Easy peasy! You've got this!!!

Latest posts

Back