Unexpected Economy of the Turducken

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
Always up for trying new things and this Thanksgiving, it was a Turducken. Outrageously expensive, yes. It flew from Louisiana to Las Vegas, arrived on time, frozen, on a bed of dry ice. I didn’t have to schlep it around and it just went straight into the freezer. Bonus, free cooler and dry ice to play with.

I followed the instructions exactly. They were simple. All the work was done for me. I didn’t spend hours making stuffing or brining the bird. No chopping, slicing and dicing. It was a strange feeling. I kept thinking I should be doing something…

The finished product was sort of pretty but didn’t really look like a turkey. If I buy it in the future I will probably get the turducken roll. It’s less expensive. Making it resemble a turkey is labor intensive so, more money. But here is where the big economy starts. No waste. Literally everything in the pan was edible. No huge piles of bones. No worrying about the dogs getting into something they shouldn’t. Slicing, serving, and cleanup were truly negligible compared to past Thanksgivings. And since it’s all meat, I had a lot more leftovers than anticipated. Overall, I think it was worth it. One bad thing, there was not enough stuffing but oh well. I probably ate too much stuffing anyway.

So here it is the day after. Brine is boiling on the stove and I have 2 more ‘standard’ birds to cook. After all, I need stock, turkey soup, and leftovers for turkey tetrazzini and just plain eating. And while they are still cheap, I will buy 2 more if I can! My turkey days don’t end until the turkeys go away and the price goes up!

I’d try it. I don’t eat any of the sides including the stuffing so it sounds perfect for me.

We don’t have a turkey, we have Cornish hens. But I’d make an exception for the Turducken.

We use to do Cornish Hens for Thanksgiving back when the daughter still lived with us before she married. She and liked them, Charles suffered thru them. When she moved out, I went to ham.

Latest posts

Back