THROWING UP!

YAAAY on the protein bar! And it does sound like you need the PPI! Seriously, cut yourself some slack and eat whatever sounds good to you for a couple weeks. Just concentrate on re-training yourself to eat. If that's mashed potatoes and gravy, fine. After you recover from the nausea and you are eating and drinking well, start worrying about losing weight.

Isn't it bizarre that soft foods can cause upset and a hard, crunchy bar stays down? (Like me and cashews.) Makes no sense to me.

How are you doing today?
Yep, that is why the vets always said to keep mixing things up to see what works for you, and even thinks you couldn't tolerate, try them again a few months down the road. My first bit of egg came right back up and I didn't eat eggs for probably 3 months and when I did it had to be sunny side up because scrambled were like bricks. Now i have four eggs scrambled with a half cup of cheese every morning for breakfast and often and a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit or sausage/egg a little while later.

Hang in there and keep trying things KK (I can't say KKK...sorry) :D

BTW, I love the salted nut Nature valley protein bars.

YAAAY on the protein bar! And it does sound like you need the PPI! Seriously, cut yourself some slack and eat whatever sounds good to you for a couple weeks. Just concentrate on re-training yourself to eat. If that's mashed potatoes and gravy, fine. After you recover from the nausea and you are eating and drinking well, start worrying about losing weight.
That is exactly what I did @Munchkin Cream of wheat with heavy cream and a little splenda and occasionally oatmeal, was about all I could eat other than an occasional yogurt. It didn't bother my system at all and I needed some sustenance and something in my gut to keep the nausea at bay. It kept me going for a few weeks until other protein packed things started working.

Hey everyone i Wish i could say doing better but it's pretty much the same.

However i think i may have found something to help purely by mistake. Im on a road trip to cape cod n i took a motion sickness pill and then shortly after took a few bites of a chicken salad croissant and no traffic jam no uncomfortableness no nausea no sour coming up.
So i waited 10 min n was able to take several more bites. Of course i did share with my puppy but between the 2 of us i almost ate the whole thing!!
I was wondering if the motion sickness pill helped. Im gonna test my theory out again later. But i figured i would let you guys n gals know incase anyone wanted to try n see if it helps them.

Hey everyone i Wish i could say doing better but it's pretty much the same.

However i think i may have found something to help purely by mistake. Im on a road trip to cape cod n i took a motion sickness pill and then shortly after took a few bites of a chicken salad croissant and no traffic jam no uncomfortableness no nausea no sour coming up.
So i waited 10 min n was able to take several more bites. Of course i did share with my puppy but between the 2 of us i almost ate the whole thing!!
I was wondering if the motion sickness pill helped. Im gonna test my theory out again later. But i figured i would let you guys n gals know incase anyone wanted to try n see if it helps them.
Good idea.

Glad you found something to help.

Hey everyone! Haven't been on in a lil bit. Been trying to clean up house n get more work in.
Anyway want able to go to drs apt because car was in shop and the snow storm that hit us.
Its gonna be rescheduled for 2 weeks from now.

Ok soo i have a question, of course! I am 207 lbs, down from 231 from surgery day. However i am 7 weeks and 2 days out and i haven't lost not a fraction of a pound in over a week!!

Im still struggling with finding things to eat that agree with me and getting the protein n water. Im at about 40 to 50 grams protein n about 50 oz of water and that's with immense effort.

I can't figure out why on earth for over a week i haven't lost. Only thing i can think of is that my body is in starvation mode and holding onto everything.

Good to hear from you.

I'm 3 weeks ahead of you. My weight loss slowed to a crawl about the same time and I wrote it off to starvation mode. I was only consuming less than 400 calories a day.

Try increasing calories in whatever way you can to see if that helps. Weight loss has picked up a wee bit for me as I was able to increase calorie intake as well as increase my exercise. The higher calorie intake (700-800) is not from what I would describe as "real food", rather MariGold bars, extra protein shakes and nuts. I still can't eat solid protein. One day I can manage one shrimp but then can't tolerate another shrimp the next day or the next. (My refrigerator is packed with leftovers.)

Are you still vomiting?

I tend to only throw up when i try something new. Abbott 5 days ago i tired duck soup...i loved duck before surgery.
I took maybe 3 bite/sips n bam was throwing up.

What's weird is, now don't yell at me anyone lol i was desperate for calories, yesterday i was able to eat 3/4 of a jr whopper. That's not something i eat. I haven't since way before surgery but i was on the road for 12 hrs and in a hurry so i tried it.

I think ur right. Im going to up calories and protein if i can. Like i said im lucky if i get 50 to 60 grams a day...like really lucky.

@Clematis
What are your stats, if you dont mind me asking. Like how tall are you and surgery weight so on.

Also what do you normally eat threw out the day?

Oh one really good thing everyone is i am ALMOST able to get all my vitamins down.
I ordered the pre packaged from vita lady. And there are pills 4xs daily i am able to get 3 sets down so i alternate.
That's a huge accomplishment for me because until recently 2 or 3 pills would make me so sick i couldn't stand to take any.

Wow that you could eat the whopper. Did you have to take tiny bites? Funny... two weeks ago I tried McDs mozzarella sticks. They came with a 2 for $2 deal so I got a cheeseburger to give to my husband later. I couldn;t eat the mozzarella sticks (in addition to the protein vomiting, I also have this thing where a bite or two into something and I just do not want it and can't eat another bite even if someone put a gun to my head. I'm not full; I just can not eat it). I threw out the cheeseburger's bun and ate half of the patty with a fork in tiny bites. That went down fine. Yet a homemade hamburger the next day did not. Wendy's chili goes down great but not anyone else's chili, even my own homemade. I think greasy, loosely-packed hamburger as one finds in fast food places just digests better than the lower-fat densely packed burger in nicer restaurants or at home.

You ask what I eat... easier to say what I can;t eat! My food varies and I can;t say I really have meals, per se, as I eat a little something every 2-3 hours. The only thing consistent is that I have a premier protein RTD for b'fast. (Yesterday after reading about other's breakfasts, I tried scrambled eggs with a lot of cheese, cooked in butter. It looked really good. But I ate two small bites and that was it. I didn't feel nauseous -- it was just one of those common situations where I just could not eat it.) About 11:30 I start eating a MariGold bar, get bored half way through and finish it about 1:30. Mid afternoon I put a handful of cashews or macadamia nuts in a small bowl and snack on them. (I have all these little bowls and plates and silverware for my Barbie Doll sized meals.) I may have a half ounce of Brie. (I used to like string cheese a few weeks ago but not anymore.) Dinner is another Premeir Protein, or a cup of Unjury chicken soup (which I never completely finish) or I try some solid protein. So far, I can either not do solid protein at all or I can do a tiny bit ONCE, and then can;t eat it the next time I try. (What's THAT about?? I have no clue.) I tried one shrimp sautéed in butter cream sauce (couldn;t finish it) and so ate two silver-dollar slices of a baguette, buttered. (I have no problem with carbs. I can eat bread and crackers without intestinal distress. But I do avoid them -- I keep carbs to 25 gr.) I haven't had refried beans with cheese for many weeks (too many carbs) but that was one of the earliest foods I could eat. I was eating Dannon greek yogurt light&fit a day in order to hold crushed calcium pills, but bought smaller calcium pills and stopped the yogurt (too many carbs). I have occasionally had peanut butter on a spoon. I had some lamb in a wine sauce one night but have been unable to eat it since. I met friends for lunch on Monday and tried a crab cake. Two-three pea-sized bites and I fought to "maintain" until I could roar home and puke it up. This is the part that bugs me: the inability to go out to eat with friends. (No one knows about my surgery.) I've had no luck with chicken or duck.

I measure/weigh everything I eat and enter it into My Fitness Pal. Then I don't eat 3/4 of what was on the plate and/or puke it up so at the end of the day I'm not sure how much nutrients I actually got down.

Vitamins: Once I vomit from a glob of protein my stomach is "done" for the rest of the day. I can't even get down liquid after that, much less any remaining vitamins. So when I try something I think won't stay down, I try to do it at dinner time so at least I've already taken most of my vites and my PPI. (You are getting your PPI down, aren't you? That's very important.) I bought a month of PatchMD Vitamin D/Calcium patches so I could choke down a few less calcium pills a day. At $20+ a month with shipping, I don;t think I'll continue this. If you are really struggling with vites, you may want to consider some of these patches for the short term.

Net net: I am mostly eating non-food supplements, and very little of that, and yet I don't feel bad or weak as I have on previous drastic diets.

I haven't really posted my pounds here. I found I was too obsessed with looking at how many pounds other people lost and comparing myself and didn't want to encourage others to make the same comparisons. (Like, how can someone else lose 45# a month... and why can't I?) Instead I just post my BMI stats in my signature. But I will say I'm 5'5" (and old enough to be your mother) and have lost 42% of the weight I want to lose. That percentage was an eye opener for me. I was disappointed that I didn't seem to be losing as much as others but once I realized I was close to halfway in 10 weeks, I felt better.

I'm sure things will improve for you. Some of us just take more time than others. On other sites, I've read people posting who say they just wake up one morning a few months out and BOOM, their stomach has calmed down and they're able to eat.

Oh wow.
Yes I had to take small bites, and I sometimes forget to chew very good and swallow as I would have before and then the traffic jam feeling comes.
But i was amazed I was able to eat it too. I have noticed though ALOT of changed in what I like. I used to love onions and they are ok in my mouth but do not work in my stomach instantly nauseous and then the smell of them makes me sick. Things I used to absolutely love I have tried a taste or two and its just BLAH like mediocre and I can definitely go without. no problem.

Its funny to see you say that. The foods that seem to go down no problem and not make me uncomfortable or nauseous are CARBS!! Of course that would be the way of it lol.
I had a jelly and cream chees sandwhich the other day, thinking I need calories and to eat something and low and behold. Half of it perfectly fine.

I CAN NOT do protein shakes and I hate it. The one time I was successful at loosing some weight pre surgery and when I exercised like 2 hrs a day every day (not plausible for real long time life) I had drank protein drinks like 3xs a day now they werent delicious but I had no problem with the taste and keeping them down. After surgery no such luck.

I really think the weight stalling has to do with I am just not getting enough calories or protein.
Now I AM experiencing no energy side affects and lack of motivation. So I havent even gone to the super market in weeks, I have just been eating what I have here. What I would like to try is before surgery I really enjoyed healthy choice steamers, and lean cuisines the ones with high protein and little carbs. And I think that my stomach is at a place where it wants real food. You know like its time to go to the next step. I am gonig to try in a few days and see what happens. I am praying like crazy cause 1 to 2 of those a day and the little snacks with peanuts and nuts and my nature valley protein bars I think I can get my calories and protein up.

I have noticed one way for me to get my water in, if I exercise!! I used to do zumba and turbofire ALOT. So I decided to start slow with some zumba. I have only worked out 2xs but when I do I drink at least one full 16.9 oz of water in 40 min NO PROBLEM. Sometimes more so for me that is actually an incentive to work out cause it normally takes me like 2 hrs to drink one of those.

And I also just wanted to say it seems like we are kinds in the same boat. And I would love for us to stay in touch with progress.
And I understand what you mean with the weight information but I have already posted all that info lol so the cats outta the bag.

My doctor never discussed what he would like me to get to. But I for some reason have the number 138 programmed in my head. I know it will take hard work but that is ok. I started at 240 and on surgery day was 231 and I am 7 weeks 2 days out. So its about 0.50 lbs a day.

Loosing 25 lbs already I am not sure what percentage of the goal that is. 93 lbs lost would be the total amount of weight I would like to loose. I am not the greatest at math so maybe you could tell me what percentage that is lol.
I appreciate it and I hope and pray it gets better for you as well!

240-138=102# to lose. 25/102=24.5% lost of desired weight to lose. Somewhere there is an algorithm that says if you lose 25% of desired weight by 3 months and 50% by 6 months, you're on target to lose all your weight. (I don't know if there is any validity to this.) According to that you are already way ahead of schedule to be successful.

Ease of eating carbs after all this is a real pisser. I don't even get gas. Geez.

I know exactly what you mean. I want REAL food, which to me means a piece of protein and a non-carb veggie. I can get over the veggie part -- I've done veggie-free version of Atkins for a solid year -- but I am desperate for a piece of chicken or a steak.

Most of those frozen meals have a lot of carbs and most definitely have a lot of vegetables which our tummies can not handle yet. Be careful if you try them. Nature Valley protein bars have a lot of sugar. Marigold bars are pricey (internet only) but have 22gr protein to 7gr carb. One of my rules is to try not to eat anything that has higher carbs that protein.

I know you don't like protein shakes but please try Unjury chicken soup. It doesn;t taste like the sweet protein stuff. You need more protein, girl. It will help with your energy.

I started Zumba last week. Glad it helped you drink. It was right around 7-8 weeks that I could drink 3 fairly normal sized swallows of water at a time. Before that I could barely wet my lips.

Okay, to the first point. Weight loss from the DS is not going to be strictly linear meaning that you are going to lose 3/4 of a pound every single day without variation, BUT it is very possible that you will average a 3/4 of a pound weight loss over your first 10 months or so. Yes, you will have weeks when you don't lose anything so don't panic....trust in your DS.....the weight will come off.

To you protein intake of 50 grams at 7 weeks. That isn't the end of the world. Have we shared the 30/60/90 GOAL with you? 30 days you target 30 g of protein, 60 days you TARGET 60 grams and so on.......NOTE that I capitalized TARGET AND GOAL because that is what they are. There is no hard fast rule that says you have to be at 60 grams at 60 days. That being said, you are close so you are doing okay.

The throwing up when trying something new. It happened to me with some things and to many others....and some things I barfed at month two are staples of my diet today. Tastes do change. A suggestion is to eat very., very slowly and take a little time between bites to see if something new is sitting well. If you puked something now, in 3-6 months come back and try it again. Chances are you will be okay with it then.

Hang in there. Remember broths from soups count as liquids to so you can double dip with protein and liquid counts. Try to find as many soups as you can with some protein that you can get down (soup was very easy for me to get down and a life saver). I added things like cream cheese, sour cream, even peanut butter to soups (I like peanut butter by the spoon in my chili and I like sour cream and cheese in my chili). Just a few ideas.

Latest posts

Back