THROWING UP!

@robs477 The reason I said I would advise no wine is that I think GERD is a distinct possibility in this case and alcohol is a big-time trigger. Otherwise one small glass wouldn't hurt anything, but at 2.5 years alcohol messes with my stomach

Scott, yes, this is a variation of GERD where the LES is out of Synch. The very second something hits these ladies stomachs the stomach constricts, spasms, tightens, LES opens and everything comes back up. Its a catch 22 situation. In order to stop this from happening, everything has to become relaxed but...in order to relax the stomach, you have to ingest something that it likes. UNFORTUNATELY, that is going to be different from person to person, thus my saying, you just have to experiment and push the envelope and keep on trying to find something that causes that relaxation. Once that occurs, then she has way less problems actually eating something of sustenance once the stomach has been relaxed and the LES is no longer opening. It really is a VERY tough situation.

And BTW...the family member I've been talking about is my Wife. She had a VSG done in September. I never said anything publicly, because my Wife's business is her business and not up to me to put on a public forum. It was so bad at first, I PM'd Larra and Diana and Jo (our reigning VSG Queen..lol.)several times for advice because I was freaking out! The only reason I'm saying anything now, is to convey my recent learned "the very hard way experiences" and to share what we've gone through to try to help these ladies. I've literally spent 100's of hours (or so it seems), researching this including talking with her (which are also my) Doctors multiple times, so, I know first hand. My Wife has had a VERY, VERY tough time of it. More so than I've seen or read in any of these forums and its exactly to the Tee displaying the same symptoms that is going on with these ladies. The good news is....it IS getting better, BUT...it is VERY, VERY slowly happening. As said, she 3 months out.

Last edited:
Scott, yes, this is a variation of GERD where the LES is out of Synch. The very second something hits these ladies stomachs the stomach constricts, spasms, tightens, LES opens and everything comes back up. Its a catch 22 situation. In order to stop this from happening, everything has to become relaxed but...in order to relax the stomach, you have to ingest something that it likes. UNFORTUNATELY, that is going to be different from person to person, thus my saying, you just have to experiment and push the envelope and keep on trying to find something that causes that relaxation. Once that occurs, then she has way less problems actually eating something of sustenance once the stomach has been relaxed and the LES is no longer opening. It really is a VERY tough situation.

And BTW...the family member I've been talking about is my Wife. She had a VSG done in September. I never said anything publicly, because my Wife's business is her business and not up to me to put on a public forum. It was so bad at first, I PM'd Larra and Diana several times for advice because I was freaking out! The only reason I'm saying anything now, is to convey my recent learned "the very hard way experiences" and to share what we've gone through to try to help these ladies. I've literally spent 100's of hours (or so it seems), researching this including talking with her (which are also my) Doctors multiple times, so, I know first hand. My Wife has had a VERY, VERY tough time of it. More so than I've seen or read in any of these forums and its exactly to the Tee displaying the same symptoms that is going on with these ladies. The good news is....it IS getting better, BUT...it is VERY, VERY slowly happening. As said, she 3 months out.
Hey Rob I am sorry your wife has struggled but it sounds like you guys are figuring it out. As the father of a chronically ill son and my own issues I fully understand how frustrating it is and certainly empathize with your wife.. And you.

Best of luck finding the right combination that works... It will happen.

And I see the 3 months out comment now..... I won't lie, my first 3 months were a mofo and I constantly lamented what I feel are sometimes unduly small sleeves with the DS and I know VSG are even smaller. Time will definitely heal.

Another huge help for me was carafate as it soothed the path and made eating and drinking possible... Ask the doc about it you haven't.... Worth a try

Can I ask you that question for some help I'm able to email my surgeon's assistant and she's usually pretty good about listening to me and she would probably write me some prescriptions and I ask for them what's a complete list of prescriptions that I should ask her to give me

Can I ask you that question for some help I'm able to email my surgeon's assistant and she's usually pretty good about listening to me and she would probably write me some prescriptions and I ask for them what's a complete list of prescriptions that I should ask her to give me
Just describe your symptoms and ask her for a PPI... She will know. The other thing I would ask about is possibility of carafate to smooth your food path... It helped me to eat the first 2-3 months ... It is an oral suspension you drink before eating

I really do appreciate everybody's help and I'm sorry that other people are going through it too honestly I'm so upset over all of this that I'm actually crying while I'm putting this on the board
I feel like I made a mistake but I know I didn't and I just have to give it more time its just really hard because I just don't want to eat anything I don't even want to try to eat

It can be very hard early on but I promise it got better for me and I certainly thought I made a mistake early on and even with nutritional issues I have had I don't regret my decision for one second.

Hang in there and try the things suggested and hopefully you will feel better. In the meantime just stick to the things you can get down

I really do appreciate everybody's help and I'm sorry that other people are going through it too honestly I'm so upset over all of this that I'm actually crying while I'm putting this on the board
I feel like I made a mistake but I know I didn't and I just have to give it more time its just really hard because I just don't want to eat anything I don't even want to try to eat

IT WILL BE OK SWEETHEART! Time will make it ALL better and you wont have any regrets. My Wife said just a few days ago that if she was given the decision to do it over or not all over again, she would do it all just the same, even given her challenges. She has lost 60 lbs and is VERY happy about that, so....please keep your chin up ;):D

Hey Rob I am sorry your wife has struggled but it sounds like you guys are figuring it out. As the father of a chronically ill son and my own issues I fully understand how frustrating it is and certainly empathize with your wife.. And you.

Best of luck finding the right combination that works... It will happen.

And I see the 3 months out comment now..... I won't lie, my first 3 months were a mofo and I constantly lamented what I feel are sometimes unduly small sleeves with the DS and I know VSG are even smaller. Time will definitely heal.

Another huge help for me was carafate as it soothed the path and made eating and drinking possible... Ask the doc about it you haven't.... Worth a try

I think you pretty much nailed it IMHO....They are making these sleeves WAY TOO F*#ING TIGHT!!! I think their reasoning is...people are going to stretch them out anyway, so....they feel they need to start out extra small.

I think you pretty much nailed it IMHO....They are making these sleeves WAY TOO F*#ING TIGHT!!! I think their reasoning is...people are going to stretch them out anyway, so....they feel they need to start out extra small.
Agreed agree agree agreed!

I agree with all the comments from both @robs477 and @DSRIGGS and just want to emphasize 2 things: 1) the first few weeks or for some of us months can be rough. It's easy to feel buyer's remorse but you must remember that time really is on your side and this early misery will pass, and 2) part of your surgeon's job and his staff's job is to HELP YOU through this early period with advice, reassurance, and meds. Don't be shy about calling them and getting help. You do not need to wait for your appointment date! Call and get some good meds going. It will make a big difference both physically and emotionally. This is their job! They have no way of knowing you're miserable unless you tell them.

Well lo and behold a miracle I rummaged through my pantry and found some Nature Valley protein salted caramel Nut Bars from before my surgery I figured what the hell I'll give it a try and i will really really really chew it thoroughly.
I managed in the last 45 minutes to get down the hole bar granted it's only 10 grams of protein but it's actually something I've been able to get down

KKK, I feel so bad that you are struggling! Thank goodness you have this board and these people to help you (all of us). It must be reassuring to know that others have felt the same symptoms. I hope the carafate will help! I just read that you were able to get the protein bar down - Bravo! Try some others that may be more nutritionally sound. Hugs!!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear what you're going through. I was a barfer. The first year or two I barfed a 2-3x/week. But I was able to keep things down at other times. Definitely speak with your surgeon, as recommended above.

KKK, I feel so bad that you are struggling! Thank goodness you have this board and these people to help you (all of us). It must be reassuring to know that others have felt the same symptoms. I hope the carafate will help! I just read that you were able to get the protein bar down - Bravo! Try some others that may be more nutritionally sound. Hugs!!!!!
The hazards of reading the first few words in the recent activity option : I saw KKK and thought WTF? :bf:

Well lo and behold a miracle I rummaged through my pantry and found some Nature Valley protein salted caramel Nut Bars from before my surgery I figured what the hell I'll give it a try and i will really really really chew it thoroughly.
I managed in the last 45 minutes to get down the hole bar granted it's only 10 grams of protein but it's actually something I've been able to get down

Isn't it bizarre that soft foods can cause upset and a hard, crunchy bar stays down? (Like me and cashews.) Makes no sense to me.

How are you doing today?

Latest posts

Back