Thoughts on new PPI

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Hey guys,
So my reflux has been acting up over the past couple of months. I originally started out on Prilosec/Omeprazole and it wasn't really keeping the reflux under control. I added in Zantac and then eventually removed the Prilosec and it was extremely effective for about a year and a half, maybe more. I developed really bad tendonitis in my wrist about 2 months ago, and have been taking Aleve more than usual, plus drinking a shit ton of coffee, so those are probably the reasons why it's acting up again, that or I've just developed a tolerance to the Zantac? Anyway, my doc prescribed me Protonix and I'm not finding specific info about when exactly I should take it. I usually take the Zantac first thing in the morning, should I do the Protonix before bed, in the evening or afternoon? With or apart from vitamins? Says I can take it with or without food, just thinking that spacing it out from the Zantac would be best? And do you guys think I should continue the Zantac or phase that out? Thanks in advance, you're always more thorough about this kinda stuff than the doctor's instructions of taking one per day :)

hoping someone knows; I can tell you my need for a PPI doubled when I went back to drinking coffee.

With Prilosec, it's best to take it around dinner time because then it reaches it's peak blood level at night, when most people need it most. This works great for me. but I couldn't find any info on when protonix reaches peak blood level.
I've never heard of anyone developing a tolerance to zantac. I think you have the right idea, that it's the Aleve and the coffee. Anything you can do about that??

I have been on different PPIs over time - they stop working for me, or my need doubles. I've been good with Protonix 40 mg x 2/day for a while now.

Peak blood level with Protonix is 2.5 hours average which is similar to Omeprazole (2 hours). I would take around dinner time as Larra suggests.

Hmmm. My time of biggest discomfort is the morning, maybe I should take the Zantac in the evening and try to do the Protonix in the middle of the night. Now that I'm thinking about it, it troubles me the most on days I wake up late, still take my Zantac, but don't keep the same, weekday food routine. Weird.

Latest posts

Back