Third Law Suit Over Reconstructive Surgery in CA - this time vs. Kaiser

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Several years ago, I decided to pursue reconstructive surgery. In researching the insurance issues prior to requesting surgery, I discovered that there was a 1999 law mandating coverage of reconstructive surgery in California under the Knox-Keene Act, which applies to fully-funded insurance plans "delivered" in California (CAL. HSC. CODE § 1367.63):

(a) Every health care service plan contract, except a specialized health care service plan contract, that is issued, amended, renewed, or delivered in this state on or after July 1, 1999, shall cover reconstructive surgery, as defined in subdivision (c), that is necessary to achieve the purposes specified in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (c). Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a plan to provide coverage for cosmetic surgery, as defined in subdivision (d).

(b) No individual, other than a licensed physician competent to evaluate the specific clinical issues involved in the care requested, may deny initial requests for authorization of coverage for treatment pursuant to this section. For a treatment authorization request submitted by a podiatrist or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, the request may be reviewed by a similarly licensed individual, competent to evaluate the specific clinical issues involved in the care requested.

(c) (1) "Reconstructive surgery" means surgery performed to correct or repair abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors, or disease to do either of the following:

(A) To improve function.
(B) To create a normal appearance, to the extent possible.
(2) As of July 1, 2010, "reconstructive surgery" shall include medically necessary dental or orthodontic services that are an integral part of reconstructive surgery, as defined in paragraph (1), for cleft palate procedures.​

(3) For purposes of this section, "cleft palate" means a condition that may include cleft palate, cleft lip, or other craniofacial anomalies associated with cleft palate.

(d) "Cosmetic surgery" means surgery that is performed to alter or reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve appearance.

(e) In interpreting the definition of reconstructive surgery, a health care service plan may utilize prior authorization and utilization review that may include, but need not be limited to, any of the following:

(1) Denial of the proposed surgery if there is another more appropriate surgical procedure that will be approved for the enrollee.​

(2) Denial of the proposed surgery or surgeries if the procedure or procedures, in accordance with the standard of care as practiced by physicians specializing in reconstructive surgery, offer only a minimal improvement in the appearance of the enrollee.

(3) Denial of payment for procedures performed without prior authorization.

(4) For services provided under the Medi-Cal program (Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 14000) of Part 3 of Division 9 of the Welfare and Institutions Code), denial of the proposed surgery if the procedure offers only a minimal improvement in the appearance of the enrollee, as may be defined in any regulations that may be promulgated by the State Department of Health Care Services.

(f) As applied to services described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (c) only, this section shall not apply to Medi-Cal managed care plans that contract with the State Department of Health Care Services pursuant to Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 14000) of, Chapter 8 (commencing with Section 14200) of, or Chapter 8.75 (commencing with Section 14591) of, Part 3 of Division 9 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, where such contracts do not provide coverage for California Children's Services Although(CCS) or dental services.

In other words, there is no requirement for medical necessity, which is the excuse that the insurance companies essentially universally use to deny coverage. That law had never been enforced for post-bariatric reconstructive surgery.

I used that law in my appeal against my insurance company at the time, Health Net, and took my appeal all the way to the CA Dept. of Managed Health Care. The DMHC agreed with me and ordered Health Net to pay for ALL of my reconstructive surgeries. Health Net refused to comply with their order.

Although the DMHC pursued an action against HN on my behalf, I decided to find a class action attorney and convince them to pursue a separate claim for money damages and other orders that could affect other people "similarly situated." The law firm Gianelli & Morris took up the challenge, after I provided them with compelling arguments and evidence that they might have a good chance of winning (and thus recouping their investment - remember that class action suits are initially paid for by the law firm, and they take all the financial risk, including putting in time and money for expert witnesses, etc., that they will never get paid for if they lose).

Ultimately, that case was settled (so I can't talk about how), but the strategies developed to prepare the case against HN were then used as a template to sue other insurance companies. I helped the law firm find a plaintiff (also a DSer) for the case against Blue Cross of CA, the outcome of which IS public: http://gilardi.com/bluecrosslitigation/pdf/CourtOrderandJudgmentreFinalApproval.pdf - BC had to pay $3,200,000.

I also helped them (through posts I made on message boards inviting people with Kaiser to contact them) to find a plaintiff for their case against Kaiser, which is being tried before a judge right now. Here is a report of the opening statements on Monday, March 16, 2015, including some video of those statements: http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnews...for-excess-skin-removal-watch-the-videos.aspx

I assume that, as before, in order to be part of that class, you have to at least have requested reconstructive surgery from Kaiser and been denied.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/03/17/surgery-patients-take-kaiser-to-trial.htm:
"Gallimore's attorney Robert Gianelli argued in opening statements that the class likely contains 10,000 patients."

If you might be part of that class, or know someone who is, you may want to contact the law firm.

I don't see any updates, and Alameda Superior Court has changed their rules to make it necessary to pay to just do a damned search. I assume they will publish the outcome when it happens - unless they settle, in which case, we won't know.

This is great news, esp for Californians.

The question for me is: do I want to lead the crusade in my state, suffer the public humiliation (and yeah, having photos of my loose skin publicly available is embarrassing vs, say, photos if I was injured in a lawn mower accident) and a years-long wait as it travels through the court system, or just say screw it and cash in the IRA account.

This is great news, esp for Californians.

The question for me is: do I want to lead the crusade in my state, suffer the public humiliation (and yeah, having photos of my loose skin publicly available is embarrassing vs, say, photos if I was injured in a lawn mower accident) and a years-long wait as it travels through the court system, or just say screw it and cash in the IRA account.
Lead the crusade and keep the money. And they don't have to show your face... Just your other parts!

Someone younger can do this. Many surgeons won't do lower body lift on age 65+... and I would be there before it made it through the system.

Here's the letter from Kaiser referred to in the TV report. Notice how it gives the doctor a lot of wiggle room to define normal appearance.

Attachments

• img006.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 14
But the DMHC external reviewers can overturn the denials, e.g., if they disagree with how much skin is "significant" or the surgical approach (e.g., panniculectomy vs. abdominoplasty; two surgeries vs. one) - here is a recent example, which was a Kaiser denial that was overturned:

Findings
Nature of Statutory Criteria/Case Summary: An enrollee has requested abdominoplasty and incisional hernia surgery for treatment of her medical condition.

Findings: The physician reviewer found that the request for abdominoplasty is medically necessary for treatment of the patient’s medical condition. Based on the medical documentation provided, she has a significantly abnormal condition of the upper and lower abdomen as well as a severe bulge of the upper abdomen consistent with a large incisional hernia and a significantly overlapping lower abdominal pannus. There is support in the medical literature for performing the procedures concurrently. The patient has indications for both procedures as the abdominoplasty approach can provide adequate exposure for the repair of the large incisional hernia and to allow for resolution of her abdominal excess. Thus, an abdominoplasty approach in this patient satisfies medical necessity as a combined procedure with concurrent treatment of her hernia. All told, the incisional hernia surgery performed at the same time as the requested abdominoplasty is medically necessary for treatment of the patient’s medical condition.

Final Result: The reviewer determined that the requested services are medically necessary for treatment of the patient’s medical condition. Therefore, the Health Plan’s denial should be overturned.​

And if the Kaiser plastic surgeons keep setting the bar too high for what qualifies, and keep getting overturned by the DMHC (the patients MUST know they can appeal and DO IT!), the lawyer can take it back to the judge.

HEY THAT'S MY CASE!! ;) Kaiser was willing to do the hernia repair and an abdominoplasty, just not in the same surgery, which is plain DUMB. Now they are dragging their feet to authorize the combined surgery that my IMR requires.

Latest posts

Back