The Big Blow UP

Your game plan sounds good. I don't know what the wait is like at the ER near you, but here it can easily be 8 or more hours, and I had several episodes where the pain had stopped, and then the scan did indeed show nothing. They screwed around for hours even once I was checked in before going ahead with the scan, and so the gastro I had seen, wrote up and sent an order that the next time I came in, to not waste time on running labs and all the other stuff that took up time but to instead immediatlely JUST do the CT. It helped.

I agree you need to do this before long travel. I was stupid, and headed to Costa Rica for a month, and then spent days going back into the dingles only to be laying on the side of a volcano 3 days of rough travel any humanity, thinking it was my last hurrah with a final blockage. One of the worst nights of my life, and so stupid because I knew the intermittent pain I'd been having could likely be blockages, and spent most of that month just worrying it may happen, till it did. You need to enjoy your travel with peace of mind, even if it's a pain to prod your medical peeps till then.

Thank you all so very much for your concern and helpful suggestions! Elizabeth N. does indeed have all my contact information and my hubby's.

@bearmom, thank you so much for sharing your story. I do see the similarities. I think the best option, if it can be called that, is to wait for another episode and hope they can see it with the scan and then hopefully a quick, easy fix. Yep, just call me Polyanna!

Our ER wait times are usually much more reasonable. Of course the only time I have been to the ER here was for the cholecystectomy in 2008. It was December 29, right between Christmas and New Year's. I was MO then so I got moved to the front of the line because they thought I was having a heart attack. If I end up going in this time, they might think I am having a baby.

I just really hope this is over. Maybe it cleared itself. :devilish:

Last edited:
If the blockage is resolved, they can't see what isn't there. You will just go in and be told that's what it most likely WAS.

My surgeon is really out of the loop. He is three hours away. I was thinking of waiting till it happened again so they could "see" it when they do the scan. As I am fine right now, I doubt they would find anything. My goal is to get this taken care of as soon as possible. I will call my PCP on Monday to get the ball rolling.

I can make a quick dash to the emergency room if necessary. It's only 2 miles from my house and the surgeon who did my emergency cholecystectomy in 2008 used to perform the DS until the hospital here lost its COE designation. As a former patient, I will have him contacted.

I don't think the surgeon is necessary at this point, but I'd sure be wanting a gastroenterologist involved. Your surgeon could consult as needed. You know to avoid Dr. Oakley like the plague, right? I think he's retired, though....Oh wait, he was in Twin Falls, nebbermind.

on a few occasions I have had a lot of pain, it looks like I am 5 months prego, always on my right side-my abdomen is lopsided and it feels like a brick, and just breathing is very painful, it is always at night, always resolves when I wake-this has happened maybe 6 times in 4 years or so. whenever I go in to have it checked out-I am grateful it has never been a blockage and like I said in the am I am fine

Scary stuff maybe the combo of Fish and Corn? I'll never forget the time I ate about 4 bites of a Schwarma. It was delicious, full of protein, looked harmless enough. I was in LA for the day. By the time the plane boarded to go home I was in full gastric distress. I was so bloated I had to unbutton my pants. Part of me was terrified I had a blockage but I suspected it was the Lavash and maybe something in the sauce. Luckily enough the plane was almost empty so I went to the back and let em rip. By the time I was home it had passed. But man I was al I could to to stay quiet and not scream out in pain.

Take care and hopefully it will not happen again.

on a few occasions I have had a lot of pain, it looks like I am 5 months prego, always on my right side-my abdomen is lopsided and it feels like a brick, and just breathing is very painful, it is always at night, always resolves when I wake-this has happened maybe 6 times in 4 years or so. whenever I go in to have it checked out-I am grateful it has never been a blockage and like I said in the am I am fine

I hope that is all mine is, too!

I don't think the surgeon is necessary at this point, but I'd sure be wanting a gastroenterologist involved. Your surgeon could consult as needed. You know to avoid Dr. Oakley like the plague, right? I think he's retired, though....Oh wait, he was in Twin Falls, nebbermind.

I think Oakley is still practicing. I think Ricky136 went to him. I talked to their office but, they wanted me to come a bunch of times pre-op. I opted for Salt Lake because it is more convenient.

I have upped my Mag OX in hopes of keeping everything moving and soft.

I am sensing a pattern here, I had a big poo tonight. Gas and bloating, uncomfortable. Luckily, no pain. I think it is just how my system works. I move my bowels every day. However about once a week it is a major affair. :bathroom knocker: Why sometimes it is so painful, maybe there is a small occasional blockage. I will keep my mind open to all of the above.

I am sensing a pattern here, I had a big poo tonight. Gas and bloating, uncomfortable. Luckily, no pain. I think it is just how my system works. I move my bowels every day. However about once a week it is a major affair. :bathroom knocker: Why sometimes it is so painful, maybe there is a small occasional blockage. I will keep my mind open to all of the above.

With bloating and gas, you are back in my neighborhood. But mine always (almost always) has to do with eating something
I should have gone without.

Btw...sometime people develop lactose intolerance post-op. Forgive me for not remembering, but have you eliminated that for a while? (She asks having just changed into looser pj bottoms...)

Lactose has not been an issue. I haven't had anything with lactose today, didn't get my cappuccino, damnit. It is more like my intestines completely empty about once a week. Then for the rest of the week, they fill back up. Cycle repeats.

Lactose has not been an issue. I haven't had anything with lactose today, didn't get my cappuccino, damnit. It is more like my intestines completely empty about once a week. Then for the rest of the week, they fill back up. Cycle repeats.
You are a strange woman. Cute, but strange.

Latest posts

Back