Taming Acid Reflux, and how it changed my life

Razbry

I wanted to share my story of Acid Reflux in the hope that it will help someone else avoid the years of misery that I experienced. Not everyone has this problem, but if you recognize yourself in my story perhaps you can find the same relief I did.

I am 13 years out, and early on (after the DS surgery) I started experiencing bloating, endless horrendous gas and diarrhea. I had read up on the aftereffects of DS...this was normal...right? I was still working at the time (retired now) and there were days when I spent endless time searching the medical facility that I worked in, for the most remote, least visited toilet. I was leaving my desk every half hour to relieve myself of gas. Finally I invested in a charcoal chair pad to help absorb the odor. It was all a wasted effort. My employees told me my office smelled like poopie baby diapers. There were vague complaints at supervisor meetings of a foul smell coming from the various bathrooms. Seriously, this went on for about 8 years. Some days were better than others. My family soon learned to blame me for every foul odor that was dispensed at family gatherings...even when I used the bathroom or went outside to pass gas. It (the smell) just seemed to follow me. My teenage nephew told me my gas was worse than any of the guys on his football team. Now that's saying something! So you get the idea...I stunk.

During one of my visits with my PCP, I mentioned that this was one of the bad side effects of the DS. He said it sounded like acid reflux to him, and asked me to try a PPI. Wow, it was like becoming a normal person again. Yes I still occasionally get foul smelling gas and some diarrhea, but it is usually associated with a very acidic food choice. Pineapple, orange juice, tomatoes are a once in a while/small portion thing for me. There are also foods that cause excess gas in my bowels to the point where it pushes up on my stomach and tips me into acid reflux. This would be high carb foods like bread, rice, some milk products. It's a hit or miss adventure, because sometimes I can tolerate these foods with no problem, and sometimes not. It probably has to do with what kind of gut bacteria is dominate at the time.

In addition to the PPI, I swear by Greek yogurt. I try to eat it everyday. When I don't, I become more sensitive to the carbs. I don't take a pro biotic, because things are working out well they way there are. I would consider it, however, if my status changes.

So that's my story....and I hope it helps someone avoid years of misery!

Doing my happy dance. :bacondance:

I've been on a PPI for almost a decade before my DS. And by the time I had mine, telling people we really needed to consider a PPI was pretty commonplace on the OtHer board.

I knew which ones worked for me pre-op and so when my surgeon suggested omeprazole, I said NOPE, not gonna work FOR ME. I take the OTC version of Prevacid. I recently had to double my dose but it's still less than I was taking pre-op. And I eat a yogurt for first breakfast every morning. I also take probiotics.

And while my gas CAN be bad, most of the time, it isn't.

One more bit of practical advice. Once you have a bout of gas, the best thing to to is to try and move it out. If you need to pick up things around your house, garden, anything that will have you bending over at the waist...it will help. Also, if you are experiencing acid reflux at night, I put a pillow under my shoulder-blades and hang my head and shoulders over the pillow. I also put my arms up over my head. This will elevate you chest and align you stomach and esophagus to your mouth. This will help alleviate some of the gas build up in your stomach.

I have been on a PPI for years and the odor of my gas and poop is terrible after the DS. I am glad the PPI helped you but I have never heard of GERD causing this odor issue so I wonder why it seems to have helped you with your bathroom odor?

I have been on a PPI for years and the odor of my gas and poop is terrible after the DS. I am glad the PPI helped you but I have never heard of GERD causing this odor issue so I wonder why it seems to have helped you with your bathroom odor?
One caveat for your situation - you are eating a lot of carbs because you are trying to stop your weight loss.

Latest posts

Back