Swallowing Pills post DS

JKap19

So I have a dilemma. One of my happy pills is about the size of 2 aspirins. I was told post surgery for a while at least that I couldn't swallow any pills greater than the size of an aspirin. I was supposed to get the pills in a lower strength and take more of them but insurance won't pay for that many pills. It exceeds there limits.

How long was it before you could swallow pills bigger than an aspirin?

I am terrible at swallowing pills but was able to manage most pills even right after my DS about as well as pre-op. I only had problems with really large pills, which meant calcium citrate. Those damn things are big. So if you're like me, get a pill cutter so you'll be able to manage your happy pills. I got mine at Walmart for about $5.00. Easy to use, too.
And for your calcium, either use the pill cutter or get the calcium citrate lozenges from Bariatric Advantage. Costs more, but you can either chew them or just suck them til they dissolve. They were a lifesaver for me.

Thanks Larra - one problem, I cannot cut this pill in half. It's an extended release (which I am aware may not work anymore but doctor wanted me to stay on to see how things go before we switch anything up - happy pills can be a tricky thing to adjust). I'm actually trying to get a new prescription called into Costco and I'll just pay for it out of pocket so I can get the smaller pills - damn insurance company! I just didn't know how big of a deal this is. They are definitely not the Calcium citrate or even multivitamin size but they are bigger than an aspirin. I ended up having to purchase 3 months worth of calcium citrate powder to take 3 times a day as a pre op requirement to have the surgery so I'm covered there but the lozenges are a great idea!

You're right, you can't chop up extended release pills. And your dosage may well need adjustment post-op. You might be able to get the lower dose, non-formulary dose covered post-op by filing a grievance (with the support of your prescribing MD) to the effect that the extended release form will no longer work for you, for medical reasons. While we are always talking about fighting insurers about denials for surgery, that's not the only reason people file grievances.

All of what Larra said was true.

Nothing was done to your esophagus or it's connection to your stomach. You should be able to swallow anything post op that you could preop. All the advice you get about using powders/liquids/crushing pills has become pretty standard but most DSers have no problem swallowing pills. Now you won't be able to toss them back a handful at a time but 1 at a time slowly should work just fine.

I started taking mine at 6 days post with no problem.

You're right, you can't chop up extended release pills. And your dosage may well need adjustment post-op. You might be able to get the lower dose, non-formulary dose covered post-op by filing a grievance (with the support of your prescribing MD) to the effect that the extended release form will no longer work for you, for medical reasons. While we are always talking about fighting insurers about denials for surgery, that's not the only reason people file grievances.

Your insurance likely has a formulary list in your coverage of benefits. There may also be a way you can get your medication changed with a letter of medical necessity from your doctor. My doctor filled out a medical necessity for me to have Synthroid instead of generic. If I used generics, I pay nothing. For the same 90 day supply of brand name I pay $20.00.

I know this might sound silly but I take my larger pills with a bite of food....I pop the pill in my mouth right before I swallow my food and down it goes with no problem at all. Right after my VSG I was able to take my pills with no problem though. It scared me because my stomach was so small and I couldn't take a huge gulp of water to get the pills down. But taking a pill with a cream soup or a bite of food is much much easier.

Immediately post op, more than one pill at a time was hard but only cause I had to have a sip of water with each and filled up fast.

But swallowing BIG pills was not any harder post op than it was pre op.

I had trouble with large pills pre-op and still do 11 years post-op. That's just me, not the DS, but it was certainly worse for the first few months after the surgery. It will never be possible for me to take more than 1 pill at a time. Such is life.

Thanks everybody! I thought it was strange that I couldn't have pills bigger than an aspirin. Now I will have to change how I take them, one at a time, I usually just take a handful and down they go. The only thing I could think of for wanting the smaller pills is they don't want anything larger than an aspirin in my new stomach for awhile.

I found some of the "requirements" for this surgery seem a little overkill to me. Don't get me wrong, I know this won't be easy, the last week and a half have proved that, but things like having to get 3 months worth of chewable bariatric vitamins and powdered calcium citrate seems dumb to me. I'm an adult, I know I have to take my vitamins to live. My blood work will prove I am. I don't need a babysitter.

Sorry to rant, I'm a little hangry this morning and surgery is on Tuesday so I'm anxious and nervous and scared and excited all at the same time.

Thanks everybody! I thought it was strange that I couldn't have pills bigger than an aspirin. Now I will have to change how I take them, one at a time, I usually just take a handful and down they go. The only thing I could think of for wanting the smaller pills is they don't want anything larger than an aspirin in my new stomach for awhile.

I found some of the "requirements" for this surgery seem a little overkill to me. Don't get me wrong, I know this won't be easy, the last week and a half have proved that, but things like having to get 3 months worth of chewable bariatric vitamins and powdered calcium citrate seems dumb to me. I'm an adult, I know I have to take my vitamins to live. My blood work will prove I am. I don't need a babysitter.

Sorry to rant, I'm a little hangry this morning and surgery is on Tuesday so I'm anxious and nervous and scared and excited all at the same time.
Yup! You are right, it is overkill. I had no restrictions at all postop. My first meal was hamburger, salsa, and a slice of cheese melted on top.

Latest posts

Back