Starting Vitamins

windyridge4mom

Captain FV Cast Away
Hey Pros -

I am 5 weeks out from DS and healing well. Still having issues with some reflux (GERD) and still taking Nexium 2x a day to help with that.

I am just starting to gear up to take the vitamin regime (VITA Lady). I tried the sublingual B12 on Saturday and for an hour felt like I was going to puke. Didn't but was a close thing..... Afraid to try that one again for a bit.

Yesterday I tried a multi vitamin (huge things) with food. Went down fine but didn't know if you build up to the full amount or just dive in.

With the GERD it's bad enough eating and tasting the food I ate hours ago, let alone vitamins. I am getting a little tired of sleeping in my recliner but the doggies appreciate it as they get to sleep on Mommy! I greatly appreciate all the vets and advice on here!

B12, I don't take at all and many don't ...I am still above range. Is Vitalady's sublingual? The one I was taking early on was from Walmart and was by far the easy vitamin of any to take. It was some beerry or cherry flavor

It sounds like getting the GERD under control should be your first priority. Perhaps you could talk to your PCP about switching to a different PPI, like prescription strength Prilosec?

Start slow. I'm 10 days behind you and a few days ago just started taking Centrum 2x a day. A few days later I added Colace and 50k of D3. Today I crushed 600mg calcium and mixed in 1/3 tub of greek yogurt, and will take that a total of 3x a day.

I agree that a change in PPI may be in order. I have to use Prevacid as Prilosec does SQUAT for me...do not be afraid to speak up and say hey, this one isn't working.

I was using another PPI and it wasn't working. Nexium was working great until after surgery. Phooey. The worst part is that the reflux is HOURS after I last ate 6 to 10 hours.... and only if I'm laying in bed. With my head somewhat elevated. My doctor is super nice so I'll give her a call. Thanks!

I would not worry about taking any additional B vitamins unless my labs said I was low on one of them. Most multi-vitamins contain plenty of B vitamins and no additional supplementation is necessary. I take a prescription strength Lansoprazole (Prevacid OTC) which worked better for me than Omeprazole(Prilosec, Zegerid). You may have to switch medicines a few times to find one that works for you. Go very slow introducing new vitamins to your new stomach, work your way up to the full course.

Thanks everyone! Ordered a foam wedge today. Left an email for my PCP to see if she can prescribe something different. Been kind of an
ongoing issue with the reflux so I'm sure we'll figure out something! The recliner is not too comfy...

Latest posts

Back