So...my new PCP doesn't have as much DS experience as he thinks.

Spiky Bugger

We know this because he ADAMANTLY insisted that it is unnecessary to test PTH because it WILL ALWAYS be out of range...too high...no matter what I do.

Soooooo, in sending over my last labs, I included my last TWO PTH results...nine years post-op...which were 58 and 55 (lower would be nicer, but this works), range 15-65.

He was digging in arguing with me, but--with med students standing there--he was never going to back down. Next visit, I think I might ask if, since the PTH results are within range, it would HURT anything to just go ahead and test that, too. <sarcasm font> Because, you know, I'm probably the only one on the planet who has within range PTH post-DS, so maybe we should keep an eye on it to see how long that lasts. </sarcasm font>

So, in case you need additional ammunition:
2014PTH_zpscde0d662.png

I'm 11 years out, 61 years old. My PTH has been going down since I added more D3, then K2, then MgCit.

Maybe you could screw with him further and ask him to check your calcitonin levels as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcitonin

Well, I am only 3.5 years out but here are mine to help:
Oct 2011: 23.1
Jan 2012: 28
Dec 2012: 22 (got them pulled about 3 weeks early for my Jan 2013 check up)
Jan 2014: 20
Lab range is 15-65.

There IS a god and she's a DS patient.

On Dec 23rd, a new office from this concierge medicine place will open about a mile from my house. So, I'll keep this guy for three months and transfer to the new place ASAP.

"PTH is always out of range," my ass. The only thing his previous bariatric patients had in common besides a variety of surgeries may, in fact, have been sub-standard post-op care.

(And, in addition to whatever insurance pays him and copays, his assholedom just cost him over two grand in membership fees.)

Latest posts

Back