Short & Round

Hello everyone!

I love that everyone is responding!

So yes, no DS in Colorado. I am hearing that DS and sleeve are bad for people with acid reflux. I get terrible reflux! But I've been told it's because of my weight. Can anyone tell me about experiences with other surgeries?
I had reflux before surgery and still have small issues now if I don't take a PPI, BUT it's much better than pre-op, probably because I don't have all that weight pushing down anymore. DS has best long term weight loss stats and I wouldn't change a thing ( I'm 2.5yrs out).

I have no reflux post surgery, despite taking a PPI before surgery and having to sleep in a recliner some nights then. I attribute the cure to DS and eating much smaller meals more frequently.

As others have said, the long term stats are the reason I picked DS. Nothing post-op has given me anything near the symptoms and daily discomforts of morbid obesity.

Did someone say short and round?:thumbsup: That's me, or it used to be anyway! 5'1" highest weight ever was 250 something a time or two between diets, usually around 220-230 last few years WITH dedicated low carb eating. Couldn't take it any longer, got too tired of lugging extra 100+ around, feet killing me, knees, back all screaming.

At 58 I made life changing decision to have DS surgery in Mexico with Dr. Esquerra last June, 6-10-16. It went splendidly, I've had no complications and feel so lucky. I have currently lost 80% of what I need to lose to reach what I think is my goal. That could change though.

I'm hearing words like skinny, tiny, disappearing being said to me, and it's very bizarre. I still have fat on me to lose though, plenty of it!

Good luck with your research and decision and I also urge you to double check coverage of WLS and what types per your insurance company!

sorry you have absolutely no support from anyone regarding the surgery. I would change primaries yesterday because you have to get a letter of recommendation from your dr for insurance approval. even if she does write it she could write it so it does not seem she believes you need it. She works for you and she obviously doesn't realize that.

I hear you on short and round. I'm about 5'4" and my highest weight was nearly 525. I'm sure I looked like a beachball waddling toward people!

So many others have said all I wanted to say, so I'll just reiterate a few:
  • Get a new primary doctor FOR SURE. You need someone who is supportive and understands the dangers of super obesity.
  • Stay away from the LOOP that you were warned about. If you're going to have major surgery, have the right one.
  • The DS should take care of acid reflux. I was sleeved in 2014 and revised to the DS this week. I'd never had reflux before the sleeve, but had it for a bit after. My DS surgeon left my sleeve alone since it was "a nice wide sleeve" and I have NO reflux now. He explained that if he'd done a virgin DS on me, he'd have made the sleeve just as mine is now.
  • Tell your husband that if all else fails and you need to go to Mexico, $11K is a small price to pay for keeping the woman he loves.

Good luck!

I just called my insurance, and as of 2017 they DO cover it! I'm calling around Denver for DS doctors, now :D

I think my husband might actually approve, now :p

When you find a surgeon, you should ask them if they recommend a PCP. Your doctor sounds like a total fool. Move on because you will NEED a PCP who not only supports your bariatric surgery decision, but is willing to learn what your needs are as a DS patient. Seriously, gth out of that doctor's care.

When you find a surgeon, you should ask them if they recommend a PCP. Your doctor sounds like a total fool. Move on because you will NEED a PCP who not only supports your bariatric surgery decision, but is willing to learn what your needs are as a DS patient. Seriously, gth out of that doctor's care.
I showed up at my doctors office with a list lol and she agreed! Yay! DS is off the table, however, since my insurance doesn't cover out of state services and there would be no way for me to afford on my own.

My doctor has suggested gastric bypass since I have a very high BMI. I meet with Dr Snyder on July 19th and I'm excited!!

I'm 5' almost 3" and weigh 300 lbs. it took a list of illnesses that the surgery would fix, but I got her to agree! Surgery sometime mid July or later! Yay!

Not clear from your last two posts whether gastric bypass or DS is the surgery you have in July. If it isn't DS, there are ways to appeal the insurance decisions. There are some smart people here who know how to do it.

Compared to DS, gastric bypass has a higher failure rate for people in the higher weight groups. As a short woman and former 50 BMI person, I know DS was worth waiting for.

Give this to your doctor and ask her what it means for you.
http://www.seco2007.es/archivos/dr_baltasar_duodenal_switch.pdf

DS is a standard of care procedure. It is likely that if your insurance company would otherwise cover this procedure, but there is nobody in-state who can do it, they would send you to someone out of state. But we have to see your plan documents to determine this.

someone has as theur signature Think twice cut once. Get the surgery thats best and will work for you the first time. i had a distal RNY in 2000 and went from 352 to 118. in 2013 I weighed 185. i still couldn't eat but could not eat meat at all. Dr. K said my pouch was miniscule when he went to do my revision. God how I wish I would have had the DS in 2000. The good thing about the DS is if you follow the rules it will work years and years afterwards. With the RNY you can follow the rules and at some point it won't matter and they surgery may fail.

Latest posts

Back