Second week, worse than the first

Okay okay. I tried to push the process. I make one asshole mistake after another!! I just tried to burst open a few liquid Advil caps to swallow with a spoonful of yogurt. Oh holy sweet mother of god I have burned a hole in my throat!!! I'm going back in the corner to sip sip shit, sip sip shit.
We all try to run before walking and you are a nurse, right? My mom was a nurse so I know all about how you nurse folk think. :p

We all try to run before walking and you are a nurse, right? My mom was a nurse so I know all about how you nurse folk think. :p
Yes Scott, I am indeed a nurse. However, in my own defense my area of expertise is NICU with emphasis in congenital heart defects. I know nothing about bariatric nursing or even grown folk of any kind really. Forgive my rookie mistakes.

I will be returning to work two weeks after the surgery. I run my own business, and even finding two weeks and a 'quiet week' to come back was a hard ask, so I will be ramping up the time I spend in the office and playing it by ear as to how much I can manage. The alternative was putting surgery off indefinitely until a mythical 'quiet time' happened. There's the ideal situation and the real-world situation, unfortunately. I have some flexibility, but I also have some things I have to show up for. I will have my Mum around the first week, which should help, and colleagues who can take the lead for a lot of things but not all.

And I'm lucky enough that my surgeon said business class flights was non-negotiable, so hoping the trip will be less rough than otherwise would.

Thanks for the ideas about proteins and viewing it as tasting, not eating. Reframing can be a powerful tool, so I'll give that a go!

Yes Scott, I am indeed a nurse. However, in my own defense my area of expertise is NICU with emphasis in congenital heart defects. I know nothing about bariatric nursing or even grown folk of any kind really. Forgive my rookie mistakes.
Nothing to forgive Carol. We are all here for each other to help one another and I really feel for you bring at this stage because there is no other way than to say that it sucks . I had a really hard first 3 months and went to the ER several times dehydrated...actually at 3 weeks out I had planned in starting half days working from hime but I ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone. My surgeon admitted me thinking I had a marginal ulcer which I later found out isn't possible with a DS. I was on it fluids for two days NPO until they finally found the stone on a CT. Since I was recovering from surgery and weak and having issues already the urologist decided to go get it.. Unfortunately he pushed it back in my kidney so I got a stent..... That was fun pissing dark purple for a week... That sucker was very uncomfortable.

We are all different and diet wise some foods are trigger foods for gas, vomiting and diarrhea for one person and not another. So we try to advise what to eat but it isxa lot if trial and error figuring out what works for you personally. Staying hydrated is most important at this point and protein first on foid, but you wont starve I promise and it gets better as you go.

I will pm you later about your Creon post in the other thread. I am half awake sitting on toilet in dark typing on my phone. Long story but my original surgeon botched me up by giving me too short of an Al so that is why I was on Creon before having a revision to lengthen... TTYL

I will be returning to work two weeks after the surgery. I run my own business, and even finding two weeks and a 'quiet week' to come back was a hard ask, so I will be ramping up the time I spend in the office and playing it by ear as to how much I can manage. The alternative was putting surgery off indefinitely until a mythical 'quiet time' happened. There's the ideal situation and the real-world situation, unfortunately. I have some flexibility, but I also have some things I have to show up for. I will have my Mum around the first week, which should help, and colleagues who can take the lead for a lot of things but not all.

And I'm lucky enough that my surgeon said business class flights was non-negotiable, so hoping the trip will be less rough than otherwise would.

Thanks for the ideas about proteins and viewing it as tasting, not eating. Reframing can be a powerful tool, so I'll give that a go!
Just take it as easy as you can. You have one chance to heal...

@CaraOC it's way too soon for you to be taking Advil no matter how you take it. Advil is an NSAID, and all NSAIDs are hard on the lining of your stomach. right now your poor stomach (what's left of it) is still very much in the healing process and the last thing you need is something that will irritate it further and interfere with the healing process. Hopefully your surgeon prescribed something that doesn't include any NSAIDs for you, or you could try Tylenol, which is not an NSAID if you need something over the counter.
As far as eating goes, I also had a bad time for several weeks, so I can relate. Egg drop soup is a good choice, I also tried Progresso soups but without eating the solid stuff they contain. The broth was so much better tasting than plain chicken broth, and not at all sweet. I absolutely could not deal with jello. Maybe a little soft boiled egg, or scrambled egg would do well for you. Don't worry about how little food you are getting in, that really doesn't matter at this point. If you can stay hydrated you are doing fine.

@CaraOC it's way too soon for you to be taking Advil no matter how you take it. Advil is an NSAID, and all NSAIDs are hard on the lining of your stomach. right now your poor stomach (what's left of it) is still very much in the healing process and the last thing you need is something that will irritate it further and interfere with the healing process. Hopefully your surgeon prescribed something that doesn't include any NSAIDs for you, or you could try Tylenol, which is not an NSAID if you need something over the counter.
As far as eating goes, I also had a bad time for several weeks, so I can relate. Egg drop soup is a good choice, I also tried Progresso soups but without eating the solid stuff they contain. The broth was so much better tasting than plain chicken broth, and not at all sweet. I absolutely could not deal with jello. Maybe a little soft boiled egg, or scrambled egg would do well for you. Don't worry about how little food you are getting in, that really doesn't matter at this point. If you can stay hydrated you are doing fine.
Thank you Larra. Excellent points. I'll try liquid Tylenol instead. I've also been taking nophen, it's an opioids/Tylenol combo.

If you are already taking something with Tylenol, make very sure you don't go over the recommended total dose by adding plain Tylenol. Tylenol has the positives of not being a narcotic and not being an NSAID but can be toxic to the liver in excessive doses, and you liver is already being stressed by recent surgery and hopefully by rapid weight loss. If you are already maxed out on Tylenol you will need to get some kind of recommendation from your doc.

Okay okay. I tried to push the process. I make one asshole mistake after another!! I just tried to burst open a few liquid Advil caps to swallow with a spoonful of yogurt. Oh holy sweet mother of god I have burned a hole in my throat!!! I'm going back in the corner to sip sip shit, sip sip shit.
You can just take those...

Believe me I understand about the realities of life an understand your dilemma . Just please be careful not to overdo it. You really can push back your recovery time and complicate things if you push too hard too early.

Best of luck to you.

Greetings from Doha! Hanging out in the fancy-ass lounge and waiting for my second flight. Managed to eat some chicken and corn Chinese soup, which went down pretty well, and jab myself with my Lovenox for Part 2 of the trip. Feeling a lot better today, and no bathroom emergencies so far...fingers crossed!

Greetings from Doha! Hanging out in the fancy-ass lounge and waiting for my second flight. Managed to eat some chicken and corn Chinese soup, which went down pretty well, and jab myself with my Lovenox for Part 2 of the trip. Feeling a lot better today, and no bathroom emergencies so far...fingers crossed!
Good to hear you are feeling well. I would suggest staying away from the corn and veggies as much as you can especially while traveling. Veggies can have a lava like effect on our bowels. If I am feeling a little bound up (I am never constipated but sometimes is harder and constipation like pain, but I go a minimum of 3 times a day) I eat some veggies because I know it will get things rolling.

Hopefully you have a great second half of your flight and you can get home and get some much needed rest.

Thanks! I tried to eat around the corn, but I'm sure they were broken down a little in the soup. I had about 1/4 cup, so I was very proud of myself. Definitely keep your veggie warnings in mind ;)

Latest posts

Back