Second week, worse than the first

harrietvane

Which is funny, because while I had done a lot of reading and intellectually knew what was in store, wow, feeling it is so different. I had thought the surgery part would be the hard week - nope!

- Feeling like I should be starting to eat, but having less than zero interest in food
- Having way too much interest in the loo; let's just say I'm looking forward to getting back to my bathroom at home, with its spray gun
- Being tired as hell, even after only a short walk a few blocks
- Having stomach muscles that aren't happy at all with what you've done to them

I'm getting my hydration in, and walking and rest, but feeling like a failure on the food front. Everything tastes incredibly strong and turns my stomach right now. Tomorrow night I make the 24+ hour trip home to Singapore, thankfully in business class...and looking forward to being in my own home, seeing my cat and also my Mum who'll be in town for a week before she heads home. And back to work on Tuesday, working half days.

I know this is all normal (at least, from what I've read), but felt like having a whinge anyway!

A few blocks? Wow, you are doing so much more than I did as a new post op!

As the pain meds wear off, reality sets in. Be ready that it can affect emotions too. I didn't do well with the removal of pain meds, after effects of anesthesia, and hormones dumping out of my fat cells back into my blood stream. Just being aware you will feel like hammered poop helps, and keeping up the water intake to keep flushing out the garbage and staying hydrated.

You are not a failure on the food front. Some things will just be a chore for now, not a pleasure, but you WILL get to where food sounds good. First maybe just a thing or two (but after one bite you change your mind) then more and more will sound appealing.

I too had a long trip post op (32 hours of flights) so I feel your pain. Thank goodness for business class! I was in coach, wedged in the midst of a Scottish rugby team. Thank goodness they were good sports about being stuck by an obese grouchy woman, and just said they enjoyed the coziness and snuggling. A bunch of charming muscly guys with cute accents - I certainly could have done worse. I hope your flight goes smoothly, and they give you some TLC and you can just rest.

Feel free to whine, you're entitled, but know your doing great!

You can walk a few blocks? I could bearly make it to my mailbox. You're doing great!
Don't worry about the food. Your intestines are still recovering. Your interest in food and ability to eat will come back with time, though the amount of time varies a lot from one person to another. But for this early out, it's not something to worry about.

Back to work so soon? Really. No offense but that is crazy. Of course you feel weak and like hell. You just had major, major surgery....and sorry to say but that 24 hour flight is going to whoop your hind end. If you can you really need to back off this half day idea, especially if you are going to an office and you need to give yourself another two weeks to heal and to start getting accustomed to the food part. Again not going to sugar coat. The food, hydration, energy and bathroom issues are tough as hell for a while.

Good luck and please think about what I said because you are putting yourself through a lot.

Oh Harriet. I feel your pain. I'm 14 days post op and I still feel like shit on a stick mostly and the thought of food makes me want to hurl too. I'm drinking and drinking but even that is getting harder!! The second stage diet is just pissing me off. Everything on my list is so freakin sweet. Yogurt, jello blah! I'm tired of choking down protein drinks also super sweet and I've continued to projectile shit my brains out!! Last night I steamed a bag of baby carrots and threw them in my vitamix with a little salt, pepper and butter. I ate a few tablespoons down and the absolute break from sweet was great. I need help with legal food ideas for day 14 post band to DS revision. You are trying to walk too much for now I think. Lay down and feel sorry for yourself for a bit!! I had hernia repair at the same time ( hernia I knew nothing about) and I still have drainage running out my belly button. Adds to the shit factor but I'm told it's normal. I think I'm experiencing trapped gas or something too cause I'm now getting dull belly ache and mid back pains. Blah blah. I do love to vent. I'm still so totally grateful I'm on this path.

Oh Harriet. I feel your pain. I'm 14 days post op and I still feel like shit on a stick mostly and the thought of food makes me want to hurl too. I'm drinking and drinking but even that is getting harder!! The second stage diet is just pissing me off. Everything on my list is so freakin sweet. Yogurt, jello blah! I'm tired of choking down protein drinks also super sweet and I've continued to projectile shit my brains out!! Last night I steamed a bag of baby carrots and threw them in my vitamix with a little salt, pepper and butter. I ate a few tablespoons down and the absolute break from sweet was great. I need help with legal food ideas for day 14 post band to DS revision. You are trying to walk too much for now I think. Lay down and feel sorry for yourself for a bit!! I had hernia repair at the same time ( hernia I knew nothing about) and I still have drainage running out my belly button. Adds to the shit factor but I'm told it's normal. I think I'm experiencing trapped gas or something too cause I'm now getting dull belly ache and mid back pains. Blah blah. I do love to vent. I'm still so totally grateful I'm on this path.
You are going to have gas pains if you keep eating veggies. Protein is what you have to do now. It isn't easy and eating and drinking was hard for me the first two months or more, but very many carbs at all right now are going to make your guts ache bad.

I agree completely with your advice about slowing down and resting. As they say, sometimes you have to go slow to go fast. Pushing too hard early on can set things way back.

You are going to have gas pains if you keep eating veggies. Protein is what you have to do now. It isn't easy and eating and drinking was hard for me the first two months or more, but very many carbs at all right now are going to make your guts ache bad.

I agree completely with your advice about slowing down and resting. As they say, sometimes you have to go slow to go fast. Pushing too hard early on can set things way back.
I bought some Atkins frozen meatballs. Do you think I could tolerate those puréed at this stage post op??

I bought some Atkins frozen meatballs. Do you think I could tolerate those puréed at this stage post op??
I think you can try but it might be a little early for pureed foods. I am thinking it was 21 days when I was allowed to do those and frankly I couldn't really do it as the stuff just tasted gross. My tastes were off so bad and everything tasted so strong like you said, it was just hard to eat much. Cream of chicken or other cream soups strained is something to try...be careful not to do anything with too much flour as it can be a bad gstric distress trigger for some of of us as well. I also ate a little bit of creamy peanut butter back during that time as as well. One thing with Atkins stuff to beware of, but I don't think meatballs will have it as an ingredient, is sugar alcohols. That stuff tears many of us up.

One thing I did a little of as well was cream of wheat with a little half and half. Now I couldn't eat but a spoon or two but I felt like it gave me some sustenance because I was so weak and it didn't bother my stomach in the amount I was eating. I know the yogurts were really tart to me back then as well but I kept experimenting. It gets better, it really does but early on it is hard. Hang in there. Just take a bite or two of anything your try because you don't want to vomit as you are sore enough already.

Walk, sip, rest, repeat. Try TASTING some proteins (and maybe stuff like Taco Bell pintos and cheese or mashed potatoes if you feel like you MUST put some food in your mouth) a few times a day, but don't think of it as "eating" a meal. Do some nice broths like from egg drop soup. You don't want to avoid food altogether (you'd be amazed how easily food aversions can develop), but don't think of it as "eating."

Okay okay. I tried to push the process. I make one asshole mistake after another!! I just tried to burst open a few liquid Advil caps to swallow with a spoonful of yogurt. Oh holy sweet mother of god I have burned a hole in my throat!!! I'm going back in the corner to sip sip shit, sip sip shit.

Tried mashed potatoes and almost died from the gas
Funny how we are all so different.... I probably didn't have but a teaspoon or two but they were okay for me... All I remember is that I don't want to relive those early days.

Latest posts

Back