Saying Hello!

JuliaDS

Hello Everyone!

My name is Julie and I'm a DS pre-op. Surgery is scheduled for October 7th with Dr. Fernando Bonanni at Abington Hospital in Pennsylvania. In addition to a virgin DS, I'm having my gall bladder and appendix removed and a hernia repaired. Due to several previous abdominal surgeries and lots of scar tissue, I'm prepared for an open procedure if that helps him see what he needs to see and do what he needs to do to give me the best DS for me!
My story is not too different from many of yours - diet after diet, childbirth, PCOS/endometriosis, steroids/hormones, medications, surgeries, gained/lost/gained hundreds of pounds several times - finally destroyed my metabolism. I can lose 10 pounds if I eat literally nothing but meat and lettuce for a month, but it comes right back if I add anything else.
I vigorously resisted WLS for many years - Why break a perfectly functioning system? - right? Finally dawned on me that maybe it wasn't functioning perfectly for me and maybe there was something to be done about it. I'm currently at a BMI of 55 (5' 4", 322 pounds). Highest weight ~360; lowest adult weight ~160 in the late 90's (age 54 now). Would like to get to a normal BMI which for me would be under 145. It didn't take too much research to conclude that the only way I have a shot at this is with a DS. So here I am...
I've read every post in every forum, every study and paper I can get my hands on, watched all the DS youTube videos, and attended the last three support groups at the hospital. All of my pre-op requirements have been completed, including insurance approval, except for the pre-op class/quiz on the 21st. I've bought the vitamins recommended by Vitalady and already have them in the monthly vitamin sorter! I bought dozens of different protein powder samples and a water bottle and baby spoon, even a bidet toilet seat and poo pourri (Amazon loves me!). Today I'm making homemade bone broth to freeze in 1 oz silicone baby food trays! I'm taking extra vitamins, drinking lots of water, walking and using the incentive spirometer I have from my last surgery. (Yeah, yeah, I know, a bit over the top :) I've told everyone I intend to tell and filed my disability paperwork. Now focusing on tying up work stuff so that they can manage without me for 6 weeks and preparing my environment and support system. A bit anxious (who, me?) but also excited to begin this journey and see where it takes me.
I'm grateful to all of you for your expertise and honesty in sharing your journeys and for the support and encouragement you have for all. You've certainly educated me, sometimes scared me, but mostly inspired me to post here (my first ever forum post) and to join your community.

Julie

Welcome! I am truly amazed and impressed with all your preparations. You will be the most diligent DS'er in the history of the DS. You're gonna do great.

Welcome! I am truly amazed and impressed with all your preparations. You will be the most diligent DS'er in the history of the DS. You're gonna do great.
Thanks Larra. We'll see! This is how I handle stress - I think I can micromanage it into submission :) I'm actually terrified.

No need to be terrified. You've gathered the facts, done your research, and made a good, sound decision. You have an experienced DS surgeon. You've done everything in your power at this point to make for a successful recovery. You have controlled every factor within your control, there is no benefit in being terrified of the things you can't control.

No need to be terrified. You've gathered the facts, done your research, and made a good, sound decision. You have an experienced DS surgeon. You've done everything in your power at this point to make for a successful recovery. You have controlled every factor within your control, there is no benefit in being terrified of the things you can't control.
Of course you're right - thank you!

Hey Julia, welcome - you have come to the right place. Sure sounds like you are ready. it is much better to be prepared like you are. I look forward to following your journey with you.

Wow! You sure are in the right place and soundly prepared for your DS ride! Glad you are with us here. Things will go well and you will have all our support. It's normal to be a bit nervous and this last bit of waiting is definitely unnerving, but your day will be here before you know it!

You sound a bit like me pre-DS. I had a binder full of info. that I'd printed and read. I walked into the surgeon's office and they began laughing and said, "She's got one part of the DS down. The type A personality." They told me they liked what I'd done. In addition, I'd done many of the same things you have. :) Good on you.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for making me feel a little less crazy about my hyper-preparations!

Latest posts

Back