RNY/DS Revision Surgeon Question

Stephanie Hazel

I'm fairly new to this site but have a question for anyone who might know [I may have asked this already but couldn't find it in the search engine].

I had rny in 2002 and am looking to have revision to ds with Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN. My question is about actual appointments & follow-ups. I live about 4-5 hours south of his office.

Does anyone have a general idea of how long his patients usually stay in the hospital, how long after being released to go home do you have your first post-op dr. visit and things like that. Any help you could provide would be most appreciated. Thx!!

:rainbowwelcome:, @Stephanie Hazel I am also a Boyce patient...several of us are. Most of us are virgin DS'ers tho.

For a virgin DS, I was in the hospital 2 days...had my surgery on the 24th of Jan and was home on the 26th.
My first post-op visit WITH the nurse (cause unless you specifically request an appt with Boyce for follow ups, you ONLY see nurses and other staff like the Nuts, Exercise people, etc) was one week later, then at 2 weeks, then a month, then 3 months, then at 6 months, then a year. Once your incisions are healed you don't even see a nurse, just the nut.

Tagging a couple of other Boyce DS patients:
@BrianChesteen
@shann

Also read this thread: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/dr-stephen-boyce-knoxville-tn.26/

Virgin DS by Dr. Boyce on 1/6/14

I was in the hospital 3 days because my guts took a while to wake up and that caused me to vomit earning me an extra day.

I was back to work in 2 weeks.

1st followup was 2 weeks, 3 & 6 months, next one will be at the year mark. Some labs at 3 months, full labs at 6 months and a year.

Like Liz says, nurse and NUT for the first followups then it has been NUT and Exercise Physiologist after that unless you have some sort of medical issues to deal with. Dr. Boyce by special request only from what I understand. He did pop in to see me at my 2 week followup just because I had an unusual pain that eventually resolved itself.

I too am Dr. Boyce's patient. Only I had the RNY back in 2009 - so I can't really talk about the DS.... Hasn't ever stopped me before - so...
From what I see with the virgin DS - the recuperation time is on-par with the RNY. I've heard a few things about the RNY to DS conversion being a bit more challenging a surgery - the recuperation time may be a bit longer...? That's about as much as I feel comfortable saying as someone with no real DS experience. Hopefully others will stop by and share their RNY to DS conversion experience.

Welcome to the forum @Stephanie Hazel

J.

:rainbowwelcome:, @Stephanie Hazel I am also a Boyce patient...several of us are. Most of us are virgin DS'ers tho.

For a virgin DS, I was in the hospital 2 days...had my surgery on the 24th of Jan and was home on the 26th.
My first post-op visit WITH the nurse (cause unless you specifically request an appt with Boyce for follow ups, you ONLY see nurses and other staff like the Nuts, Exercise people, etc) was one week later, then at 2 weeks, then a month, then 3 months, then at 6 months, then a year. Once your incisions are healed you don't even see a nurse, just the nut.

Tagging a couple of other Boyce DS patients:
@BrianChesteen
@shann

Also read this thread: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/dr-stephen-boyce-knoxville-tn.26/

Did you travel from out of state and would any of the rny/ds revision patients possibly respond to this thread?

Did you travel from out of state and would any of the rny/ds revision patients possibly respond to this thread?
AT the time, I lived in Knoxville so I was local.

I know he has revisions, I'm not sure how many are here on this forum...all the Boyce patients I can think of right off hand are virgin DS'ers.

But there ARE revisions here @Paula and @Whit are two I can think of off hand. Not Boyce revisions but RNY to DS revisions.

Hi Stephanie. My RNY to DS revision was done in 2012 by Dr. Simper in Utah. I traveled from Oregon for my surgery. I was in the hospital Friday through Tuesday, but would have been released on Monday if my Lovenox situation (not caused by my surgery). I went directly from the hospital to the SLC airport to go home. I only flew back to Utah once about two months later because I had what turned out to be a stricture in my sleeve. One EGD in Utah and two here at home with my local gastro cleared that up. My labs and all other medical issues are handled here at home by my Oregon medical team.

Hi and welcome. I had RNY in 2002 as well. I traveled from Northern to Southern CA about a 5 hour drive. I was not as fortunate as Paula. I developed a leak which luckily was discovered in the Hospital and had a second surgery exactly a week after revision surgery. I ended up staying in the Hospital for 3 weeks then went straight home. We drove about half way and spent the night and drove home the next day. I went home with 3 drains and a feeding tube. I flew down once and drove once to have drains removed. My local PCP removed the feeding tube. Since then I have chosen to fly down for 6 month and 12 month follow-ups. None of which Dr K required. I will probably see him yearly.

By the way I am doing well and would absolutely do it again.

Whit

Latest posts

Back