Risky surgery if Vit D and iron low?

Jacks39

Hi All,
I’m new.. in the consult stage with Dr. Rabkin, hoping for surgery date in January. I thought I had decided and was ready to get going then found this message board and I’m honestly freaked out.

Hi All,
I’m new.. in the consult stage with Dr. Rabkin, hoping for surgery date in January. I thought I had decided and was ready to get going then found this message board and I’m honestly freaked out.
Welcome, what have you learned here that freaks you out? Let us help.

Hi All,
If you tell us what freaks you out, we can help.

Gosh, the risk of dying in surgery, health problems from malabsorption, teeth and hair falling out, bones breaking, all of it I guess. Except for the risk of stinky stools and malabsorption (which I think he downplayed) I didn’t know these risks till I got to this site. I’m glad to know what I could be in for but I’m having second thoughts. Should I just do the sleeve?

Gosh, the risk of dying in surgery, health problems from malabsorption, teeth and hair falling out, bones breaking, all of it I guess. Except for the risk of stinky stools and malabsorption (which I think he downplayed) I didn’t know these risks till I got to this site. I’m glad to know what I could be in for but I’m having second thoughts. Should I just do the sleeve?
Any surgery can lead to death. But then so can morbid obesity. While in surgery the surgical team will do their best to prevent any issue. You are the entire focus during the operation.

Yes, we opt for surgical malabsorption. That is the reason for the switch part of the DS. It's also why we have regular blood work (I get mine twice a year) and adjust my vitamins as my labs indicate. OTOH, most of us are healthier now even with malabsortion than we were before the DS.

Teeth...my teeth are fine, I'm almost 7 years out and they are no worse off than they were preop. My Mother, who drank her meals from a bottle of alcohol lost most of her teeth. She never had weight loss surgery of any kind.

Bone health is also related to your vitamin intake. I do have osteoporosis but then, I would have anyway as I have age, gender, family history and racial makeup against me.

Hair can fall out not just because of the DS but ANY surgery. Having a sleeve will not change that.

IF you don't think you can commit to the lifetime of vitamins and regular (at a minimum of yearly) then maybe surgery is not for you. The sleeve also requires vitamins, and many regain cause it's the rest of your life on a diet.

Remember, most people who are have had surgery and are doing well don't bother to post just to say, "Im out living my life", they just do. It's the new people and those needing help who post.

So, the sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. How much will that help you in the long run? If diets worked, there would be no fat people.

When I finally had the surgery I was more afraid of doing nothing than doing something. If you were not scared, you would not be normal!

Any surgery can lead to death. But then so can morbid obesity. While in surgery the surgical team will do their best to prevent any issue. You are the entire focus during the operation.

Yes, we opt for surgical malabsorption. That is the reason for the switch part of the DS. It's also why we have regular blood work (I get mine twice a year) and adjust my vitamins as my labs indicate. OTOH, most of us are healthier now even with malabsortion than we were before the DS.

Teeth...my teeth are fine, I'm almost 7 years out and they are no worse off than they were preop. My Mother, who drank her meals from a bottle of alcohol lost most of her teeth. She never had weight loss surgery of any kind.

Bone health is also related to your vitamin intake. I do have osteoporosis but then, I would have anyway as I have age, gender, family history and racial makeup against me.

Hair can fall out not just because of the DS but ANY surgery. Having a sleeve will not change that.

IF you don't think you can commit to the lifetime of vitamins and regular (at a minimum of yearly) then maybe surgery is not for you. The sleeve also requires vitamins, and many regain cause it's the rest of your life on a diet.

Remember, most people who are have had surgery and are doing well don't bother to post just to say, "Im out living my life", they just do. It's the new people and those needing help who post.

Thanks! I guess I didn’t think about the fact that most people taking the time to post are dealing with something. It did skew my perception. I’m totally able to commit to vitamins and blood tests and water and protein. I’ve always been a big vitamin taker anyway. I see most people Recommend Vitalady. I’m going to my first group meeting next week for Rabkin patients so I can ask questions of people there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm someone who first had a sleeve and then converted to a DS. My experience is I lost more weight with the DS, but I did lose some with just the sleeve. The stats are about 75% EWL vs 50%. There are a few vitamins with the sleeve, but no malabsorption so nothing really changes and you should be fine.

For me, the worst part of the DS has been the gas. Vitamins/labs are easy, just a new habit. But the gas really requires some forethought/planning and can lead to some very uncomfortable situations. Sounds funny, but it can be quite mortifying. If you're married, you're probably OK. But if you're dating you'll have some explaining to do.

My teeth are beautiful.

Good luck on your decision!

•the risk of dying in surgery--I was already dying from morbid obesity, so it didn't seem like such a risk.

•health problems from malabsorption--Not exactly...imho...it's more like "health problems from not having regular blood tests and supplementing as the tests results indicate."

•teeth and hair falling out--My broken tooth root was discovered over a decade before it had to be extracted...and when I had the GD LapBand, not the DS. Like many others who have general anesthesia for ANY surgery, I lost SOME hair a few months post-op...and then it grew back.

•bones breaking--come to think of it, I DID have a small fracture of my left wrist. But...I'm not sure if we should blame the DS instead of my own stupidity. When you are 60+, and standing on tbe wet swimming pool deck, and the fools playing volleyball in the pool hit the ball out, and you pick it up...maybe you should just WALK it over to the pool instead of showing off and trying to slam the ball back into play, so hard that you spin around on the wet deck and fall, breaking the fall with your left arm. It was a minor fracture, even the xrays were hard to read.

all of it I guess--Just a "warning" about this site. While we are all here because of bariatric surgery, and we DO discuss health problems, not all the problems we discuss are related to bariatric surgery. They SOMETIMES are. And they SOMETIMES might be. But there are so many very bright people here, we "talk" about all kinds of topics and problems to get input from each other, not because the DS or other surgeries have CAUSED the issue.

I don't have much to add but second this

and people who also are not posting are all those who didn't have surgery and are dying from morbid obesity. maybe more slowly, maybe not.

being scared of surgery is totally normal and everyone should be! keep asking questions! meanwhile, welcome!

I think I am one of the cases that had all the problems. Malnutrition, the runs, malabsorption, and to date I have lost 5 teeth. Having said all that if i could have surgery tomorrow to loose the extra weight I've put on because of my issues if be the 1st to beg to get it.

I think I am one of the cases that had all the problems. Malnutrition, the runs, malabsorption, and to date I have lost 5 teeth. Having said all that if i could have surgery tomorrow to loose the extra weight I've put on because of my issues if be the 1st to beg to get it.

Yes...you are a Resident Bad Example. But really cute.

:lmao: awww @Spiky Bugger you really think I'm that bad? Lol

No...and yes. But first..."malabsorption" isn't a problem. It's how tbe DS works.

Malnutrition is a problem...but one that is totally predictable for those who don't get regular blood tests and supplement religiously. The OTHER malnutrition cases, and I don't think there are many, are problems.

And, don't forget to add in your driving tricks. Because being THAT messed up for THAT long, can cause some issues, too, what with your jaw wired shut and all...lol!

I had my surgery July 20th with Rabkin. I'll see you Wednesday!!
Knock on wood, I've been doing really well. 295 when I got home from the hospital and now 213. Onederland is just around the corner! :) I tolerate everything really well, but admit I haven't pushed dairy yet. My energy is back, my vitamin regimen is solid and I feel like I am finding a whole new life! I was scared too, but more scared to spend my life wishing I could change things and feeling so stuck.

Latest posts

Back