Reversal of DS intestinal switch? Anyone?

No @Spiky Bugger , haven’t seen any “presidential debates” and nor do I plan too. Nor have I seen anyone “Presidential” on either side from either party in many, many, many years. I believe ALL politicians are like underwear and start smelling bad if they’re not changed on a regular basis and have ALL become nothing more than Corporate puppets serving their insatiably greedy Corporate American “Task Masters” that purposefully keep us divided in this Country to better conquer us more easily. I’m sure you have probably stereotyped me (as do most Libs) as an angry racist white male Trump supporter, so that can you paint brush label and then pigeon hole me in to a corner for the usual “text book discreditation” attempt (taken straight from the liberal playbook) of opinions. But, sorry.... that crapola don’t work with me because I detest all politicians equally. And for the record, can’t stand the Trump windbag either.

I apologize to the original poster, @Poodles as it is/was NOT my intent to hijack this thread and will be happy to continue this in another post in the proper section. Enough said on my part…is what it is.

No @Spiky Bugger , haven’t seen any “presidential debates” and nor do I plan too. Nor have I seen anyone “Presidential” on either side from either party in many, many, many years. I believe ALL politicians are like underwear and start smelling bad if they’re not changed on a regular basis and have ALL become nothing more than Corporate puppets serving their insatiably greedy Corporate American “Task Masters” that purposefully keep us divided in this Country to better conquer us more easily. I’m sure you have probably stereotyped me (as do most Libs) as an angry racist white male Trump supporter, so that can you paint brush label and then pigeon hole me in to a corner for the usual “text book discreditation” attempt (taken straight from the liberal playbook) of opinions. But, sorry.... that crapola don’t work with me because I detest all politicians equally. And for the record, can’t stand the Trump windbag either.

I apologize to the original poster, @Poodles as it is/was NOT my intent to hijack this thread and will be happy to continue this in another post in the proper section. Enough said on my part…is what it is.

I never considered your politics until your comments in this thread. And the only thing I know about politics in your part of the world is that my Texas Holy Trinity were Ann Richards, LBJ, and Molly Ivins.

And...I never got a copy of the Liberal Playbook...probably because I have framed personal letters from William F. Buckley and Ronald Reagan. (The Buckley letter is far more personal.) And Gloria Allred bought me lunch one day. Sorry to confuse any stereotyping calculators in use here.

Last edited:
PS...I hang those letters on the wall next to the photos of us with Clinton and our kid with Obama.

So saying cuss words is not my style, and I honestly appreciate every word of advice. The original question has been answered, and I appreciate it. As for the belittleing, insults, and harassment, that is why people don't want to ask questions. Some people truly are here to help, some are here to throw out insults. Does not seem very mature to me.

I truly wish for a resolution to your troubles. Salty language is my style when I'm angered or scared. Therefore, I hope you can understand that I found the one sentence frightful. My words may have been harsh. I didn't intend them as solely for your benefit. You've lived with this for a while and, unfortunately, it hasn't been a life lived happily ever after. Anyone who seeks the DS (or any other WLS) can't live the eating style without the aftercare. Someone seeking WLS surgery may not understand how truly vital aftercare is. Sadly, many WLS patients thought they could get by with that idea. Just as sad, are the ones who did all the right things and suffered.

Just putting this out there -
Several of Dr. Stewart's former patients and Dr. Ayoola's patients have found that their "Dr Stewart Multi" Is not enough.
Have you considered switching multi and adding more vits to your daily list?
Creon? Have you tried this?
Dr. A is good, but again, he is not living the DS, either.

It is CRIMINAL that most bariatric surgeons do not know SQUAT about the care and feeding of a DSer (note, I did not say a DS - because we ALL are individuals with many things in common, but different combinations of those things, which have to be analyzed individually). And yet they CLAIM they do, and tell their patients what to do, sell them crap expensive supplements, without knowing SHIT about it. And the stoopid sheeple patients (who have grown up being taught to respect and revere their doctors) believe them.

If you have a DS, you have to be able to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You need to KNOW what needs to be tested. You need to be able to DEMAND the tests from doctors who don't want to order them. You need to KNOW how to read the results, and what to do about fixing deficiencies.

Poodles - the fact that NONE OF THE DOCTORS you have been seeing knew to test for copper when you were having neurological issues is APPALLING, ESPECIALLY if they knew you had a malabsorptive bariatric surgery. The fact that NONE of them suggested using Creon after all this time is APPALLING. You have been seeing subpar, uninterested, ignorant hack doctors.

But if you're tired, and don't want to advocate for yourself, and stay on top of all of this yourself, by all means, get a reversal and be done with it. I'm sure at this point, you think going back to obesity, or dieting to stop it, is better than this. But please don't think that "you've tried everything" because you haven't.

Poodles. What Diana said, and others is very true. Any bariatric surgeon should know of Creon and definitely a GI. Lots of people from malnourished cancer patients to people with short gut syndrome use the stuff. I was on it for a year and it staved off my sever malnutrition until I final decided on the permanent fix of a revision . Again I would be willing to bet that you have a far too short AL and too long of a BPL. This is a simple fix for Dr K and would solve your problems. Within 15.minutes of opening you up he will know exactly what to do to fix you.

That bring said you have to be able to commit to proper ds eating 150 grams minimum of proteun daily, proper vitamin regimen and periodic labs that will tell you how much of each vitamin supplements to take.

I know you are tired but the revision is easier than a full reversal and Dr K could do either once inside but would make his decision on what he found. If your absorbing tract (CC and AL) are too short he will effective lengthen. If limbs are correct length and you just don't absorb well he could do full reversal... ..but you can have your cake and eat it too with the reversal of in fact your channels are too short as I strongly suspect. I had all your issues for the most part and that was the case for me. I am well in my road to full recovery. I immediately went off Creon after surgery and lab values have been fine. Before the revision I would have been dead or in hospital on TPN if I hadn't been taking the creon ....or pancreatic enzyme as a generic name.. Creon is a brand

Last edited:
I had neurological issues, but it was because I was not getting proper nutritional supplementation...especially copper and zinc. These elements are fairly new to the DS supplementation scene. There are a lot of great surgeons who are not yet tuned in to it. All of my neurological issues have since reversed.

It is CRIMINAL that most bariatric surgeons do not know SQUAT about the care and feeding of a DSer (note, I did not say a DS - because we ALL are individuals with many things in common, but different combinations of those things, which have to be analyzed individually). And yet they CLAIM they do, and tell their patients what to do, sell them crap expensive supplements, without knowing SHIT about it. And the stoopid sheeple patients (who have grown up being taught to respect and revere their doctors) believe them.

If you have a DS, you have to be able to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You need to KNOW what needs to be tested. You need to be able to DEMAND the tests from doctors who don't want to order them. You need to KNOW how to read the results, and what to do about fixing deficiencies.

Poodles - the fact that NONE OF THE DOCTORS you have been seeing knew to test for copper when you were having neurological issues is APPALLING, ESPECIALLY if they knew you had a malabsorptive bariatric surgery. The fact that NONE of them suggested using Creon after all this time is APPALLING. You have been seeing subpar, uninterested, ignorant hack doctors.

But if you're tired, and don't want to advocate for yourself, and stay on top of all of this yourself, by all means, get a reversal and be done with it. I'm sure at this point, you think going back to obesity, or dieting to stop it, is better than this. But please don't think that "you've tried everything" because you haven't.

Diana,

I seriously hope you'll consider writing a book called, "The Proper Care and Feeding of the DS: How to Survive -- and Thrive" (or something like that). It could walk people through the process from pre-surgery to post surgery, have tables on supplements (effects of too much, too little, what kind (i.e water miscible), aggregated research, personal stories, photos, advice for all the common problems, lists of doctors, diagrams, emergency card, questions to ask the doctor, insurance stuff, etc. I think there would be a significant market for it here and abroad. And it would raise the DS profile and advance the conversation. Just do it!

MM

Diana, I seriously hope you'll consider writing a book called, "The Proper Care and Feeding of the DS: How to Survive -- and Thrive" (or something like that). Just do it!

MM

That is EXACTLY what I told her also over ONE YEAR AGO!!!...(see below)

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/sick-of-cut-and-pasting.2418/

@DianaCox, I can’t take it anymore!! I can’t keep up with cut-and pasting all your informative SCIENTIFIC, THEORETICAL, LEGAl, INSURANCE, NUTRITIONAL, etc, etc posts! Is there anything relating to this entire subject of WL &WLS that you are not an expert on? And, I have to read them all at least 3 times just to absorb 30% of it because there is so much information in them, and I’m a reasonably smart guy! I have all these cut-and past articles from the last 7-8 months or so that I’ve saved and I’m TRYING to organize them for my own reference and am having little success, it’s just VERY difficult!...So, I am asking you to PLEASE at least consider writing a book and put this virtual plethora of information, theories, statistics, legalities, insurance, etc, etc, etc in one easy place that we can find, at least an eBook?? You can even self-publish, I know because I do it with my music. I would gladly pay to have all that info compiled in to one easy to find place organized by topics in chapters so that I/we could go too quickly. I’ve seen posts were you broached this subject before, but, please at least think about it and consider? And, please don’t make me beg, it’s not nice!....or I’ll just start a petitionupload_2016-2-4_11-36-0.png.

Diana,

I seriously hope you'll consider writing a book called, "The Proper Care and Feeding of the DS: How to Survive -- and Thrive" (or something like that). It could walk people through the process from pre-surgery to post surgery, have tables on supplements (effects of too much, too little, what kind (i.e water miscible), aggregated research, personal stories, photos, advice for all the common problems, lists of doctors, diagrams, emergency card, questions to ask the doctor, insurance stuff, etc. I think there would be a significant market for it here and abroad. And it would raise the DS profile and advance the conversation. Just do it!

MM

The reason the book would be good might also be the reason it would be out of date before we got to the bookstore...that is, she stays on top of absolutely every development...on many fronts. How to keep it as up-to-the-minute as her info is...AND...in an organized format will be the challenge. Hmmmm.

The reason the book would be good might also be the reason it would be out of date before we got to the bookstore...that is, she stays on top of absolutely every development...on many fronts. How to keep it as up-to-the-minute as her info is...AND...in an organized format will be the challenge. Hmmmm.

That's what second, third and fourth editions are for, no? Also, the basics won't change much. With books like these, you can also provide a website and access code for updates to the latest information....

Unless it's a kindle edition, in which case, updates can be easily made.

Reference guides are updated constantly, like the Merck Manual or the DSM. Plus stuff like Magnesium is good for constipation, the definition/symptoms of a bowel obstruction, History of the DS, etc are pretty static.

[Sorry to hijack your thread, poodles]

As the former publisher of business books: how will this be marketed? Enough have to be sold to cover the costs. I suspect people won't know they need this book in order to want to buy it. Most people get the WLS surgery their doctor/insurance company recommends and follow whatever (inadequate) aftercare they dictate. It's only if they trip across this website that they would discover there was a book, but by then they could learn most everything here and not need the book. No doctor would promote the book unless his/her name is in the by line.

As I always ask clients: what do you want to accomplish with the business book? Do you want to make money on book sales? Do you want to give the book to your clients, employees, family as a gift? Do you want the book to establish you as an expert in a field in which you intend to make money? Do you want to leverage the book to get radio interviews, on talk shows and for speaking gigs? (This last is pretty easy as media has a lot of hours to fill.)

The bottom line (besides the bottom line) is that it's not just about "build it and they will come" -- after spending months and months writing, editing, graphics, producing the book, there has to be a complete marketing and distribution plan. It's a LOT of work.

Latest posts

Back