question about fat and calories

katsmeow07

Tomorrow will be one week post op. I'm eating a little more each meal now, from 1 oz to about 2-3 oz now. Some of the other sites who don't real deal with ds'ers are talking so much about fat free cheese this, Ff mayo, Ff sou r cream, etc... and they count calories. They've got me worried that I'm eating too much fat or calories. Today I've had about 600 calories or so. I've lost 3 lbs a day for the last few days, and while I know that won't last, I don't want to sabotage myself or stretch out the pouch.

Do not count calories. Period. Count liquids first, you should be getting a MINIMUM of 64 ounces. Then count protein. You are 1 week post-op and all you should be worried about at this point is hydration.

Stop looking at non-DS WLS and diet sites and materials. You do not have a pouch and it WILL stretch over time no matter WHAT you do. This is normal.

Do NOT count calories. Do NOT eat "fat free" ANYTHING.

And STAY OFF THE EFFING SCALE. YOU ARE LOSING WATER AND IT MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT THIS STAGE. STAY. OFF. THE. SCALE.

I know that you want to learn and there are more of them than there are of us and you keep reading all you can find. That said,

Hydration;
Then protein;

Then go read about a paleo diet (but exercise caution re WHICH veggies are best for you) or Atkins or something that is more like the life YOU are going to lead.

Stop reading RnY stuff and go drink some water

Oh...and the fat? Follow the advice you are reading and watch your skin dry out and your hair get like straw and yourself get constipated.

You need to back away from those websites...and your scale.

Last edited:
Fat is something I am still having trouble getting in. @Spiky Bugger is telling the truth. My skin is flaky and yesterday I ran my hand through my hair and dry skin (not dandruff) just came off of my scalp. I have made fat bombs and am hoping I can eat them. I weighed yesterday, no yelling because it was the first time in 3 weeks, and was down 5 pounds. Which I am glad for the 5 pounds but I am only 7 weeks post op and feel that if can get more fat in that may help to lose more. I am getting in 90+ protein and am keeping carbs below 50, so the fat is the only thing not where it should be at.

What happens when you try to eat more fat?
Me? It just makes me feel crappy, kind of a bit nauseated. I noticed the other day that ranch dressing wasn't sitting well either so my dr. is changing my PPI, so I hope it also helps with me with other fat as well.

@katsmeow07 yes definitely search them, you will want the recipe. They are a sweet treat full of fat.

At a week out - fluids, fluids, fluids. When you can eat - protein. Fat is your friend. The whole point of the DS surgery is fat malabsorption. It is not necessary, or advisable, to eat low fat. Your body does it for you. You will find that most "low fat" products are higher in carbs. When you are eating regularly, your carbs are something you want to try to keep low.

At a week out I was just getting out of the hospital. You are still healing. Stay focused on healing. And hydration. That is your priority at this moment in time.

I got the fluids covered, really. I keep saying that. I'm doing great eating too. I just had about 3 Oz of pureed chili for lunch. Making the ricotta bake for dinner later. I'm just not used to little things, like there were little bits of skin from the beans in the chili, i tried to pick them out but I get paranoid about little things like that.

Latest posts

Back