Put your thinking caps on! (Unless yours is tinfoil, in which case, have a seat.)

Spiky Bugger

Alrighty then…. the insane floor plan in this money pit is in need of input.

This closety thing was built and installed because this town had just built its high school, but no pool yet, and the swim team had no place to practice. So the local boys joined the previous owners’ son and they worked out here…and changed in the recently added laundry room and peed in the toilet that they somehow SQUEEZED into a 3’ x 4’ closet. The door was in the 3’ side. The 4’ side was a solid wall.

We removed the toilet…we had two others and didn’t want to use a closet…and put in shelves. But they were not really usable because of the door being on the 3’ side, making the reach kind of deep, so goods were somewhat hidden.

So we took out whatever we could CHEAPLY remove and have THIS. (The ceiling is lower there because there had been a fan and a light and I can’t reach high shelves anyway, so we didn’t care.). Drywall will get finished tomorrow, flooring later. Anyway IMAGINE this area without the sawhorses and temporary shelves. ( southernlady … I need help making the photos bigger, like twice the current size but not full page, because I don’t know the current measurements/units of measurement.

But we cannot make that upright support “column” go away cheaply, so imagine it right where it is! The column stays. The former closet will probably just remain an open storage area with shelving [for now, maybe even those cheap-ish (sensing a theme yet?) chrome wire shelves set up to meet the demands of our specific stored stuff.] But WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH THE COLUMN?

If it helps with your imagining, the door on the left is an entrance/exit to the house. I had to go out to the porch to “fit” the whole image into one photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time instead of thumbnail, use full image.
I was trying for not quite that big. And it asked what dimension I wanted. I was going to double whatever the thumbnail dimensions, thinking that would be big enough. But I couldn’t find that info.

But…thank you!

Hmm..... Insert pegs or hang hooks around n the column at a variety of heights for use as a coat tree?

Hmm..... Insert pegs or hang hooks around n the column at a variety of heights for use as a coat tree?
Hmmm…as a place to hang big ol’ “beach towels” by those who are coming in from the pool? It still needs one more light coat of drywall mud, then primer, paint, etc.

Hmmm…as a place to hang big ol’ “beach towels” by those who are coming in from the pool? It still needs one more light coat of drywall mud, then primer, paint, etc.

View attachment 2751
Or, a desk for your cabana assistant. Actually, I'd be tempted to put up a half wall and counter make that a cozy bar area, depending on how much floor space is available on the right hand side... Or you could turn the area into a reading nook.

Or, a desk for your cabana assistant. Actually, I'd be tempted to put up a half wall and counter make that a cozy bar area, depending on how much floor space is available on the right hand side... Or you could turn the area into a reading nook.

Great idea, but PHYSICS! It’s an 8.5’ x 9.5’ laundry room that has doors to two bathrooms and to an exit down a few stairs, past a water heater, a storage cabinet and the HVAC unit. Serious lack of inspiring ambiance there, too! Lol

Ok, last idea - a marker of an entryway to an indoor garden (with grow lights)? Grow your own salad or put in an orchid collection?

Something like this ready-made solution, or even better a custom set-up you design for your space https://mygardyn.com/
That is GORGEOUS!

Here’s a really bad attempt at a drawing.

The “room“ is ABOUT 8.5‘ x 9.5’. Washer, Dryer on top…west side…and there are windows. Door on left goes to his bathroom. Door on right goes outside…to functional, not attractive, area. Closet in upper right corner will be gone this weekend. Door on bottom goes to my bathroom. (A fun game we play in there is Dodging the Doors.)

The green square is where the stupid “column” is.

No cabanas, no room for a Margarita Bar, desk is in another area.

I love that Gardyn! But random pegs may win.

Latest posts

Back