Presumably burglars and stalkers can't read here yet

We were going to Caroline's - the questions was how we were getting there. We compromised - we walked a couple of blocks in the opposite direction to a lovely Italian restaurant, walked back to put the leftovers in the fridge, then took a cab to Caroline's - but we walked back. It was fine. I feel invigorated! But it's bedtime.

And we walked and walked today - and then went to MOMA - and now my muscles are saying oh HELL no to more walking. We have a good excuse to cab to dinner tonight with friends - it is at least 2-3 miles.

Had a great lunch with EN, SKSMU, Martita, Ms Vee, and AAA - and then I did something to my quad getting out of the cab near the hotel - I don't know if I tore something or just cramped it (I tried to get out of the cabwithout stepping down into a slush-filled gutter, by stepping UP onto the curb - my muscles are so out of shape, I didn't have the strength to do that, so Charles was helping to pull me up as I tried to push up with my leg). Trying to stretch it out now - and glad I can take Aleve. I just put a little food on my stomach (last night's leftovers) so I can take an NSAID and make it to dinner at a club tonight - I don't know what it is, but it's playing on a Monday night, and it's not sold out):
Jeremy Schonfeld
59-atsm.jpg

Jeremy will be bringing his hybrid rock/theater/pianoman/singer/songwriter brand to the Cutting Room for an evening of stories and music both old and new, featuring the special guest talents of Amy Spanger (Rock of Ages, Wedding Singer), Donnie Kehr (Jersey Boys, Billy Elliot), John Arthur Greene (Matlida, West Side Story), and exciting newcomer Brook Wood (Spun). And, as always, the band will be killin' it....

Had a great lunch with EN, SKSMU, Martita, Ms Vee, and AAA - and then I did something to my quad getting out of the cab near the hotel - I don't know if I tore something or just cramped it (I tried to get out of the cabwithout stepping down into a slush-filled gutter, by stepping UP onto the curb - my muscles are so out of shape, I didn't have the strength to do that, so Charles was helping to pull me up as I tried to push up with my leg). Trying to stretch it out now - and glad I can take Aleve. I just put a little food on my stomach (last night's leftovers) so I can take an NSAID and make it to dinner at a club tonight - I don't know what it is, but it's playing on a Monday night, and it's not sold out):
I look forward to hearing how you like him. I'm listening to "Iron and Coal" now. http://www.jeremyschonfeld.com/

He was wonderful! Charles bought two of his CDs (Iron and Coal,. and 37 Notebooks); Drift is available on iTunes.

The venue was WONDERFUL - an intimate theater, impeccably appointed, with a great bar area as well. And the basement where the bathrooms are is full of large art pieces. Chris Noth is the owner: http://thecuttingroomnyc.com/ If I lived in NYC, I'd go here all the time. And the food was quite good as well. Perfect fresh large shrimp cocktail; crab cakes, flatbread pizza with mozz and basil; and a lovely gumbo. Many beers on tap, including a lovely Hefeweizen. We had a very good time.

Wrapping up our 11 day trip today. I got all the work done in VA I went to do, and then some (not counting the snowed-out law school lecture, which at least is already written for when I go back in April). We made pretty good use of our vacation here in NYC, considering we came with only tickets for one theater event, and two meals with friends, by using our research resources (internet, concierge, visitor's mags):
  • Saturday night (we arrived very late afternoon in a snowstorm): last minute tix to Caroline's late show to see Kevin Nealon.
  • Sunday during the day: MOMA
  • Sunday night: dinner with friends
  • Monday during the day: lunch with the WLS group at Katz's Deli and an expensive and delicious visit to Russ and Daughters
  • Monday night: The Cutting Room dinner and show with Jeremy Schonfeld
  • Tuesday AM: breakfast with Hilary
  • Tuesday during the day: Museum of Natural History, including the Hayden Planetarium Space Show
  • Tuesday night: Pippin at the Music Box Theater
Whatever I did to my quad seems to have mostly resolved, with Aleve and just being careful. Whew!

A long day ahead - getting packed up and redistributing the weight of our overpacked suitcases, including the package of smoked sable that I'm going to enjoy when I get home, getting to JFK (we have the car service already arranged), a 6 hour flight to SFO (hoping for no gas ...), and then getting home from there (don't know whether we are getting picked up or cabbing it home). And then sleeping in our OWN bed with our kitties, who will either be SOOOO glad to see us, really pissed (and I hope not literally) at us, or annoyed that their new favorite people who have been coddling them in our absence are not there.

When I get home, another round of body maintenance appointments start:

Earlier in the trip, I noticed that the "healed" ulcer on my cornea was feeling a little irritated (which it never was when it formed) and had increased in size. I contacted the cornea doc who had suggested lasering it off a couple of months ago, but I passed, as I didn't see any good reason for even minor eye surgery when it wasn't bothering me. I'm having it done on Friday.

Then on Wednesday, I start getting the last six crowns in my 4 year plan to finally fix my crumbling teeth. This is not DS-related - I have congenital failure of closure of the enamel on my teeth, which are small and fragile. My prosthadontist suggested (I'm guessing he needs a new boat or college tuition for his kids) that I get all my teeth (re)crowned to replace old worn down old molar crowns, and to put crowns on the ones which had through diligent dental care over the years survived, to give me bigger, taller teeth that protect the sensitive dentin, and look prettier. The center lower six teeth are the last ones - since my lower molars were redone, I haven't been able to effectively use my front teeth to bite through things, because they don't meet - the molars were made taller to fix my bite, and the new central ones will be taller to match. Not looking forward to the process, but definitely to the result!

Time to get this show on the road!

I managed a "taste" each of kippered salmon and smoked yellowfin tuna at the fish place. OMG tastes of heaven!! It was a lovely outing all the way around. I hope we can do something similar in April :). Perhaps in the DC area? Or Baltimore?

I'm glad to have been able to meet up with you, Diana and only wish I could have been in town in time for the lunch on Monday. Please count me in for the next NYC gathering! Glad your quad is better, but the dentistry stuff sounds scary. Here's to hoping you have lots of laughing gas!

Latest posts

Back